Author Topic: Pre-cursors to older game engines  (Read 5509 times)

Offline Torchickens

• StarfyWiki Staff
    • View Profile
Pre-cursors to older game engines
« on: July 14, 2011, 10:48:14 AM »
People at ROMhacking.net finally finished translating For the Frog the Bell Tolls, a game about frogs and snakes and princes... :D It's the precursor to The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening's engine for those who don't know, where Richard appears as a character in the game.

It was rather primitive, there were automatic combat scenes with the same results in which sometimes you'd need a particular item or power-up in order to win.

Another game like this was Tomato Adventure, which was an action-command RPG which was supposedly the precursor to Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga's engine. Apparently, the Hermie III boss is actually based upon the 'Hermie' enemies in Tomato Adventure who were also decorated hermit crabs.

There's even some unused music in M&L SS based on Tomato Adventure (and possibly the canceled GBC game Gimmick Land)'s title screen.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 10:54:01 AM by Torchickens »
Hello. I identify as female. She/her pronouns please. :)

(credits to Moydow)

I spend a lot of my time making videos about Pokémon glitches on my Youtube channel ChickasaurusGL.

I'm the editor in chief of Starfy Wiki. Let me know or Tappy know of any bugs or other concerns. :)

Discord: Torchickens #3213
Twitter: Torchickens
Email: [email protected]