Yes, If I trade in my old DS
1 (12.5%)
Yes, but only if they put out more games
1 (12.5%)
Not Sure 38-70%
4 (50%)
Maybe but I can't afford anything,
1 (12.5%)
No way, 3D gives me motion sickness!  But some games look cool without 3D.
1 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Author Topic: 3DS Price Drops To $169 AUG, 12th  (Read 17106 times)

Offline Tattletale1

• Cartoonist
    • View Profile
3DS Price Drops To $169 AUG, 12th
« on: July 28, 2011, 03:51:17 PM »
I read on the Wii news Channel (scroll to Tokyo on the globe today!) nintendo is reducing the price of the 3DS to $169.99 on August 12, 2011; this is big! I'm calling all my (few) friends now!
Check out my flipnotes at http://flipnote.hatena.com/5386D14051D4DB8F@DSi/

My username is due to my overuse of Goomba Tattle abilities in Paper Mario games.

Offline Naesala

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: 3DS Price Drops To $169 AUG, 12th
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2011, 04:43:02 PM »
Nintendo took a pretty big blow with the 3DS, sad to see this happing.

Offline Greenpickle

• Forum Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My site
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2011, 04:53:29 PM »
The equivalent price here seems to be a little over £100 ATM, so yes, once there are more games I want out.  Of course, there's no indication there'll be a price drop here...

Offline Hope(N Forever)

• Lylat Wiki Staff
  • Non-English Wiki Editor
    • View Profile
    • ASSAD® comixs' website
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2011, 07:05:56 PM »
The equivalent price here seems to be a little over £100 ATM, so yes, once there are more games I want out.  Of course, there's no indication there'll be a price drop here...

Actually, the price drop thing is happening in ALL territories! Japan is dropping from 25,000 to 15,000 JPY, North America is dropping from 249.99 to 169.99 USD, Europe is dropping one-thirds their variable prices (example: UK retailers will drop from 230 to 160 GBP), and Australia is dropping from 349.95 to 249.95 AUD!

Furthermore, to justify those who bought the Nintendo 3DS early, anyone who bought the system BEFORE the date of the price drop (a.k.a. 11-12th August), the early adopters will be eligible to enter the Ambassador program, where they will have the right to download 20 retro games for FREE! These include 10 NES games, and 10 GBA games! Furthermore, Nintendo does not even have any plans to release GBA games for the general public anytime soon, which means those who get the GBA games in the coming months will have EXCLUSIVE rights to these games for the time being!

Looks like a great time to get a Nintendo 3DS early! Nintendo's latest news is really mind-boggling! Talk about the awesomeness of being a loyal customer!

I've personally been expecting Nintendo to cut the price early for the Nintendo 3DS ever since Sony officially announced their own prices for the PlayStation Vita. However, I never really expected they would drop it THAT low, and THAT soon as well! I was greatly surprised indeed by those factors! I can now hear Sony's executives being big, cry babies 'cause their announced prices are no longer as competitive as they had been anticipating. Rock on, Big N, rock on!
This section needs some editing, but can't seem to be able to click the [edit] button.

Nobody ever believed me when I told them that if you make a collection of information of everything Nintendo, you'll get a wiki that is amazingly the size of a small, but highly-developed Wikipedia!

Offline Torchickens

• StarfyWiki Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2011, 07:18:23 PM »
I take it as a sign of weakness on Nintendo's side tbh, I now feel even worse for buying the 3DS early, now that Nintendo announced these free downloads. How can Nintendo differentiate 'loyal' fans from 'other' fans (labels I personally disagree with) just because some people bought the 3DS for more. If Nintendo are going to re-release these NES and GBA games, I don't see why they don't at least make the GBA games available to everyone at the same time! I just don't like how they can make existing games exclusive to a select few people.

Edit: Ugh, I didn't mean to be so biased. Thanks for the kind considerations, Nintendo. I remember Nintendo used to give out free controllers when the N64's price got cut too. Recently, Nintendo seems to have a more personal approach now to its users now (or is it just me?), which is great.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 10:14:46 PM by Torchickens »
Hello. I identify as female. She/her pronouns please. :)

(credits to Moydow)

I spend a lot of my time making videos about Pokémon glitches on my Youtube channel ChickasaurusGL.

I'm the editor in chief of Starfy Wiki. Let me know or Tappy know of any bugs or other concerns. :)

Discord: Torchickens #3213
Twitter: Torchickens
Email: [email protected]

Offline BrandedOne

• Fire Emblem Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2011, 10:34:22 PM »
I will thoroughly enjoy my free downloads. Unfortunate for those that can't get them/can't get them for free.  :-\

Offline Naesala

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2011, 04:06:45 PM »
So all I have to do is log on to the eshop, no downloading needed?

Offline BrandedOne

• Fire Emblem Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2011, 05:22:22 PM »
Assumedly, yes? It would be nice if I got some sort of confirmation statement. "Yes, you have been added as an Ambassador and will receive your downloads in due time."

Offline E-123Wario54

• StrategyWiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • StrategyWiki
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2011, 05:19:53 PM »
So all I have to do is log on to the eshop, no downloading needed?
Yeah, that's basically it. I'm glad Nintendo is compensating the fans that bought it for $250. They didn't have to do it (price drops happen all the time, though this one is a bit earlier than I expected) so it's a nice gesture. Thank you, Nintendo. ^_^
Assumedly, yes? It would be nice if I got some sort of confirmation statement. "Yes, you have been added as an Ambassador and will receive your downloads in due time."
Agreed.

Offline Naesala

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2011, 06:36:39 PM »
Iwata taking responsibility and taking a 50% pay cut is VERY impressive. Never would happen in an American company.

Offline Tattletale1

• Cartoonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2011, 07:15:30 PM »
  Nintendo said they would lower the wholesale prices of the 3DS by about 1/3 in Europe, but said they don't set suggested retail prices in Europe.
If Nintendo suggests a retail price, here American stores start competing with Nintendo of America's online prices.

My username is due to my overuse of Goomba Tattle abilities in Paper Mario games.

Offline FlyingRagnar

• Dragon Quest Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • Dragon Quest Wiki
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2011, 06:58:05 PM »
I'm one who definitely thought the 3DS was over-priced from the start.  Nintendo has been releasing updated DS hardware every few years without huge price increases.  I think the general public didn't view this any differently.  Unless you have played one yourself, it sure looks like just another DS.

Offline BrandedOne

• Fire Emblem Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2011, 06:21:23 PM »
I just received a notification today on my 3DS about the Ambassador program, the same info we've heard before. I logged on to the e-Shop and in the news section, there's another message that begins with "Welcome to the Nintendo 3DS Ambassador program!" I think I'm in  :D

Offline Tattletale1

• Cartoonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2011, 05:33:15 AM »
I'm one who definitely thought the 3DS was over-priced from the start.  Nintendo has been releasing updated DS hardware every few years without huge price increases.  I think the general public didn't view this any differently.  Unless you have played one yourself, it sure looks like just another DS.
For graphics, it's somewhere in between a PSP/PS2 somewhere below a PS3 or Wii U,
for gameplay, it was alot like the PS2 unless tilt & Cameras are involved, the touch screen is only in place to allow backwards compatibility with DS & DSiware titles, if that weren't the case, they'd replace the touchscreen with another C-pad.
The VR gaming is great, shooting Hannah Montana & Miley Cyrus (From the DS game shot in the store) in Face Raiders was fun!  Although if you tried to describe what it looked like it's weird...
The Miis have improved, but they probally won't be featured in as many games, I'm hoping for another Crash CTR game that forces the players to be the system Avatar Miis during single card Multiplayer.