Author Topic: Historical View  (Read 9948 times)

Offline tacopill

• Lylat Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • csanimefan
Historical View
« on: March 16, 2010, 07:06:49 PM »
I was thinking, What are historians going to look back at us and see? specifically the era of video games. I mean, We've long since past fad status, out grew cult status and even expanded beyond our niches. So, what are historians going to look at when they study us in fifty, or even a hundred year.

Being i am a nintendo fan (been playing since i was 5), i figured i use the different nintendo systems to help break up the time periods. Maybe this is just a "history of nintendo", but that's been done before. I'm looking for more history-terminology like, "Golden Age" and "Renaissance".

So, here is my first attempt. Feel free to edit it as you see fit.

• 1983 - Great Video Game Crash
  • 1985 - Nintedo Renissance
  • 1990 - Golden Age, Nintendo Dynasty
  • 1995 - Silver Age
  • 2001 - Dork Age
  • 2006 - Second Renaissance
  • 2010 - The Era of NIWA  ;D.

Offline Tucayo

• Super Mario Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • MarioWiki's Shroom
Re: Historical View
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 08:48:43 PM »
I think this era is mainly where the videogames mainly focus on casual gamers. I like the NIWA part  :police:

Offline Level 3

• F-Zero Wiki Staff
  • Hey everyone, just here to help with the effort.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2010, 09:08:29 PM »
I think this era is mainly where the videogames mainly focus on casual gamers. I like the NIWA part  :police:
this is true. It's my second most hated era in general, even though some of my favorite games came out this era. My least was the Atari era. May nobody ever find that landfill. (If you get this reference you are well educated in video game history)

Admin at the F-Zero Wiki.

Offline Tucayo

• Super Mario Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • MarioWiki's Shroom
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2010, 12:55:46 AM »
this is true. It's my second most hated era in general, even though some of my favorite games came out this era. My least was the Atari era. May nobody ever find that landfill. (If you get this reference you are well educated in video game history)
I did  :P

I am from the Silver Age. I wonder what would have happened in my relation with VGs if I had been bron on another era

Offline Jing412

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2010, 04:11:23 PM »
more than likely from 06 and onward its been the casual gamers era, though there have been several great games that have come from this era

Offline Zesty Cactus

• Bulbapedia Staff
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2010, 06:53:25 PM »
Agree with you, although I actually own an Atari and it's frankly more fun than "casual gaming". I f@#$ing HATE "casual gaming". Uggggggh.

I also hate how everyone's still peeing their pants over "retro gaming". I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled that exellent older games are getting the praise they still deserve. I'm just a little tired over everyone pissing themselves over 8-bit t-shirts and stuff... it's getting old guys haha if you'll pardon the pun.

plz don't kill me ;___; i love retro gaming, i promise! i just hate that it's a fad.

Offline Lazor Shroom Midna Freak

• Jesus Freak/Pie Shroom/Midna of Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2010, 02:40:49 PM »
I started playing Nintendo games near the end of the Second Renaissance (I played my first Mario game in '08). It's kind of embarrasing. :/

Wait, maybe that's why I play retro games so much. So I can enjoy what I missed. If I had played Nintendo games earlier, I might not be so into old Mario games.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 02:43:26 PM by Lazor Shroom Midna Freak »

Offline Tucayo

• Super Mario Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • MarioWiki's Shroom
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2010, 09:19:45 PM »
2010 - NINTENDO'S SECOND GOLDEN ERA

Offline Naesala

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2010, 09:20:55 PM »

the only thing missing is a Pikmin 3, other wise I agree 100%

Offline Tucayo

• Super Mario Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • MarioWiki's Shroom
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2010, 01:15:40 AM »

the only thing missing is a Pikmin 3, other wise I agree 100%
Possibly they will announce it later, probably they didn't announce it because they had released the New Control thingy