Author Topic: Members' Status  (Read 27182 times)

Offline dkpat

• The Jupiter Adept
  • Golden Sun Universe Staff
  • Tada!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.dkpat.net
Members' Status
« on: October 23, 2012, 11:21:11 PM »
Hello Everyone who still pays attention to this website.

I'm just looking for a "check in" type of update for every member wiki. See who is still completely active, and who might have fallen off the radar. Please try to only check in for wikis that you are a member of Staff on... I don't mind people pitching in to give what they see going on at a wiki, but I'd rather hear The story from members of that community.

So. Here's Golden Sun Universe, checking in.  Everything at our wiki is going as usual. Activity has been fluctuating lately between periods of deadness and major activity.  We recently have been dealing with a crap ton of spam account creation, which I may have successfully eliminated by use of the Asirra extension ( http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:ConfirmEdit#AsirraPlease install the Standalone version, not the ConfirmEdit Version. We have no major projects going on currently, though I personally hope to have our Fandom section completely revamped and presentable in the near future (probably a pipe-dream).
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 03:23:46 AM by dkpat »

Offline Toomai

• SmashWiki Staff
  • Smash & Learn
    • View Profile
    • SmashWiki
Re: Members' Status
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2012, 12:37:19 AM »
SmashWiki is currently running in Green mode, with a constant and healthy supply of edits and nothing exceptionally urgent to accomplish. Most edits are minor corrections with the odd move and several split/merge discussions (both active and stale); we're also getting new accounts at approximately 1.2 per day and have a reasonably active IRC channel. We currently (as of this post) have about 1,150 "things to do", a number generated by things like cleanup and stub tags which is broadcast across the main page and recent changes.

Aside from content, things like new policies and simplification templates have been popping up pseudo-regularly, mostly in an attempt to get better hatch-batteners for when the inevitable will occur in the next year and the wiki will (for the first time ever in the "modern era") have to deal with a new game and all the shenanigans such brings.

We do seem to have a bit of community stagnation and fragmentation though. There's a pretty big gap between "the old hands who have a clue", "the new guys who have a clue", and "the riffraff", with the groups generally never interacting beyond "oi you broke-a da rules". Some people also think we have few if any potential new staff candidates, which will certainly be a problem if we experience explosive growth in the future, but is currently mostly a non-issue.

So overall SmashWiki is in good shape for the present, with a hopefully-distant uncertain future.
oeuf

Offline FlyingRagnar

• Dragon Quest Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • Dragon Quest Wiki
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2012, 03:02:24 AM »
I can check in for Dragon Quest Wiki. 

We are mostly running in hibernation mode right now.  Since there are no titles planned for release in the USA anytime soon, and the prospects of Dragon Quest X online making it out of Japan are slim, there is little interest in the wiki at the moment. 

We also were having major issues with spam account creation.  I am glad to see some advice posted above.  I will have to try out that extension when I get the chance.

So, overall not a lot to report.  SEIWA also is in somewhat of a hibernation mode.  We contacted just about every eligible wiki that might someday join, but virtually every one of them is understaffed, stagnant, or otherwise.

Offline Moydow

• NIWA Coordinator
  • Forum Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Fire Emblem Wiki
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2012, 03:14:22 AM »
StrategyWiki is quite healthy; we're getting plenty of new members signing up, and lots of edits, recently added a new admin, and nominated another potential admin.

F-Zero Wiki, on the other hand, isn't doing quite so well - we'd been having endless spam until recently, when I found a method of removing the 9000-odd spam accounts that had been set up (must try that Asirra extension). The main reason, presumably, is the F-Zero series' dormancy - no new game since 2004 obviously isn't going to help. Nintendo Land hasn't helped us any, yet, but here's hoping...
NIWA Coordinator

Offline Aria der Donau

• Fire Emblem Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • Fire Emblem Wiki
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2012, 11:14:16 PM »
Fire Emblem Wiki says "hi."

Sadly, between the spam accounts and the zero interest of people to help, we are pretty much paralysed - only three active members. There is even a brand new game, coming here next year, and yet...

Offline HavocReaper48

• The Falcon Punch Master
  • Donkey Kong Wiki Staff
  • Orly?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2012, 10:27:48 PM »
Salutations from Donkey Kong Wiki.

Over here, we get small bursts of activity from time to time. A bunch of the IPs like to vote in our Jungle Arena forum. Regarding the wiki content growth, it's going to be a while before Nintendo makes another main series Donkey Kong title, though we have plenty of stubs and whatnot to sort out. In addition, the article count is slowly making its way to the big four digits! I've been working on creating level articles. Our last main series game, Donkey Kong Country Returns (2010), has most of the necessary articles aside from levels. Once DKCR is completely covered, the article count will be beyond 1000, and I'm hoping to crackdown on stubs.

We did get a user who insisted on copying articles off of Mariowiki, which has been handled.

We have been getting a few spambots, which has been dealt with.

In conclusion, nothing too exciting. I don't see the wiki getting too much more activity, as it appears the DK franchise will be at a stand still unless the developers of DKCR make a sequel.

Offline ToastUltimatum

• Icaruspedia Staff
  • Also Staff on F-Zero Wiki and Lylat Wiki
    • View Profile
    • SmashWiki Userpage
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2012, 10:31:14 PM »
Icaruspedia is reasonably active, there are some days where we will have 10 edits, some days where we only have one. In terms of things to do, there's a handful of extensions that need installing which have not yet been installed, but only one user is able to do that, and we have a lot of weapon and AR card articles still to make.

We do have spam accounts registering, though at a much lower rate than what it used to be, and the wiki gives clear instructions on how to hide the spam. Still, this Assira may be worth installing.

For active users, we have one user, who is also a patroller, IceBlue, who edits almost daily, four members of staff that check the wiki daily, who also edit, and we've got about four standard users who make edits at random.

All in all, we aren't going to drop into inactivity any time soon, though our current activity may not last forever.

Being Lylat Wiki staff, I can also comment on the activity of that: Yeah. Not too smashing. 0 edits per day, 0 active users, primarily because it does not exist at the current time. We've even had our domain snatched. But I do believe that Tacopill is making progress on getting it back up, albeit with a new .info URL.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 11:31:03 AM by ToastUltimatum »

Offline embyr_75

• Metroid Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2012, 12:18:18 AM »
Greetings from Metroid Wiki.

I wouldn't exactly call the dry spell we're going through an "All-time low," but it's pretty far down there. Our wiki was pretty much completely run and contributed to by between only 3-5 members, and everyone seems to have gotten pretty busy with real life. I just got married last month, myself, so I'm a much busier lady.

That having been said I actually saw a couple of the other members on the RC within the last couple days, so that was a nice breath of fresh air. But for months the situation has been that we are missing MASSIVE amounts of articles from nearly all of the games and don't even have enough members to vote an image/article to featured status. So if anyone with an interest with the series has some free time on their hands...  ::)

Offline tacopill

• Lylat Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • csanimefan
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2012, 02:06:19 AM »
alright, going to do things briefly:

• Lylat Wiki: please see this post
  • Wikibound: Tina will be posting.
  • Fire Emblem Wiki: Aria's post pretty much summarizes it. Thanks Aria!
  • Nintendo Wiki: Trying to get things posted, but kind of hard to do so, when only one of editor is helping. Not that I am not thankful, just trying to verbalize the difficulty. What seems to be the biggest hinderence, is very few people have server access, none of which are active on the wiki and I am not sure if they are following the N Wiki Board here on the forums.

Also, I am have a Square Enix Wiki up... that needs some love...

Offline Tina

• WikiBound Staff
    • View Profile
    • WikiBound
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2012, 02:06:57 AM »
WikiBound is.... um.... mostly inactive with occasional edits. In the last 30 days, 6 days of activity in which 4 editors have made 10 mainspace edits. However, editors pop in every now and then to show that it hasn't been abandoned completely.

This is mostly due to our small pool of editors probably being busy with other things (ex: school), lack of motivation (man who even uses WB over Starmen anyway??), or that it's kind of hard to scrounge up info on a dead series.
WikiBound Editor-in-Chief

Offline Walkazo

• Retired Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2012, 03:02:56 AM »
The Super Mario Wiki is busy as ever.

The only news that might interest NIWA is that we became affiliated with a couple non-English Mario Wikis recently (a German one and an Italian one). There's a whole sidebar interwiki link system set up, but regrettably, we haven't really done much with it yet as far as implementing it on our articles goes... Still, it's a start.

Offline Greenpickle

• Forum Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My site
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2012, 05:22:33 PM »
What seems to be the biggest hinderence, is very few people have server access, none of which are active on the wiki and I am not sure if they are following the N Wiki Board here on the forums.

You can always contact me for server things.  I should see any post here within a few days, I get e-mails for every user talk edit at wikis I'm a member of, I think I get e-mails for PMs here, and I'm often in the Pikipedia and NIWA IRC channels.

As for the topic: Pikipedia is getting edits on most days - sometimes not very many, but a 4-day RC listing is rarely empty.  The IRC channel's fairly active, so people are around.

Offline tacopill

• Lylat Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • csanimefan
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2012, 03:23:10 AM »
What seems to be the biggest hinderence, is very few people have server access, none of which are active on the wiki and I am not sure if they are following the N Wiki Board here on the forums.

You can always contact me for server things.  I should see any post here within a few days, I get e-mails for every user talk edit at wikis I'm a member of, I think I get e-mails for PMs here, and I'm often in the Pikipedia and NIWA IRC channels.

Thank you, I will keep it in mind

Offline Torchickens

• StarfyWiki Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2012, 06:22:35 PM »
Hi dkpat,

I can understand your point re fluctuating input, for my part i have been quite busy at Uni lately. Do like to contribute though, so will do my best to keep up with it, so its enjoyable rather than a chore,

Cheers :)
Hello. I identify as female. She/her pronouns please. :)

(credits to Moydow)

I spend a lot of my time making videos about Pokémon glitches on my Youtube channel ChickasaurusGL.

I'm the editor in chief of Starfy Wiki. Let me know or Tappy know of any bugs or other concerns. :)

Discord: Torchickens #3213
Twitter: Torchickens
Email: [email protected]

Offline The Forgotten Beast

• StarfyWiki Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2012, 02:23:30 PM »
Crud crud! Sorry for my lateness and lack of work here recently, but family, work and such have kept me quite busy so I can only devote myself to one wiki at a time! The Forgotten Beast reporting in on behalf of Starfy Wiki and Kid Icarus. Starfy Wiki is pretty solid on info although our user traffic is not very high and we keep getting a high degree of spam accounts...  Kid Icarus Wiki is doing very well but it is also falling victim to many spam accounts, so I ask is there a way to increase our security?

Offline ToastUltimatum

• Icaruspedia Staff
    • View Profile
    • SmashWiki Userpage
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2012, 02:49:26 PM »
Crud crud! Sorry for my lateness and lack of work here recently, but family, work and such have kept me quite busy so I can only devote myself to one wiki at a time! The Forgotten Beast reporting in on behalf of Starfy Wiki and Kid Icarus. Starfy Wiki is pretty solid on info although our user traffic is not very high and we keep getting a high degree of spam accounts...  Kid Icarus Wiki is doing very well but it is also falling victim to many spam accounts, so I ask is there a way to increase our security?

Indeed, something called Assira has been discussed above, and also on Skyworld.

Offline The Forgotten Beast

• StarfyWiki Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2012, 03:19:06 PM »

How do we go about installing it?

Offline Moydow

• NIWA Coordinator
  • Forum Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Fire Emblem Wiki
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2012, 10:22:18 PM »
Send your webmaster/the nearest person with FTP access here, they should be able to take it from there.
NIWA Coordinator

Offline ToastUltimatum

• Icaruspedia Staff
    • View Profile
    • SmashWiki Userpage
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2012, 11:52:08 PM »

How do we go about installing it?

In short, only Maxite has the access to do it, it's in his hands only.

Offline RingtailedFox

• Assistant Administrator of the Lylat Wiki
  • Lylat Wiki Staff
  • Flight Commander of the Cornerian Armed Forces
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2012, 02:43:45 AM »
After a nearly year-long hiatus, it is my happy duty to report that the Lylat Wiki has returned, at http://www.starfoxwiki.info.  While some things may still need repairs and adaptations (as we've also upgraded the mediawiki software from 1.16.x to 1.19.2), the site is largely operational... any bug issues can be fielded to tacopill, or myself. :)
~The Legendary Raccoon-Fox