Author Topic: The dead NIWA wikis repair thread  (Read 25355 times)

Offline Greenpickle

• Forum Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My site
Re: The dead NIWA wikis repair thread
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2013, 10:29:59 AM »
Hmm, seems to be in the top 5 results for most related searches in DuckDuckGo.  I guess you're talking about Google, which is ranking results differently, somehow.  IIRC, (amongst other things) Google ranks sites based on how many high-ranked sites link to them - DKWiki's link from Bulbapedia and the like should help, but Wikia wikis are linked from Wikia central and loads of other Wikia wikis (I think they put random links in sidebars and things?  Tried to check, but it's hard to tell since images no longer work at Wikia for me, and the whole network is fundamentally broken...).

Offline IceScream

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2013, 03:42:07 PM »
Hmm, seems to be in the top 5 results for most related searches in DuckDuckGo.  I guess you're talking about Google, which is ranking results differently, somehow.  IIRC, (amongst other things) Google ranks sites based on how many high-ranked sites link to them - DKWiki's link from Bulbapedia and the like should help, but Wikia wikis are linked from Wikia central and loads of other Wikia wikis (I think they put random links in sidebars and things?  Tried to check, but it's hard to tell since images no longer work at Wikia for me, and the whole network is fundamentally broken...).

When searching only "donkey kong wiki", there was no problems. But if I wanted to search something like "cranky kong wiki" or "cranky kong", DKWiki fallen to the bottom of the page.

(But really, may I ask what's the point of DKWiki when Mariowiki also has the same articles, but better? Not trying to start a flame war here.)
« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 08:22:57 AM by IceScream »

Offline Vellidragon

• Hungry dragoness
  • WiKirby Staff
  • That fat girl
    • View Profile
    • Pelsatia
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2013, 01:11:43 PM »
(But really, may I ask what's the point of DKWiki when Mariowiki also has the same articles, but better? Not trying to start a flame war here.)
As far as I'm aware, DK Wiki mainly exists because it migrated to independency from a Donkey Kong Wiki on Wikia, with its own community seperate from the Super Mario Wiki that didn't wish to merge with the latter. Mario Wiki approved their joining NIWA and DK Wiki has (or had at the point of joining) no problem with Mario Wiki's Donkey Kong coverage, so all is fine in that respect and it's probably a matter of personal preference which wiki you go to for Donkey Kong coverage (though NIWA interlinking usually encourages using DK Wiki). If any problems arise from the overlapping coverage, that'd probably be something that Super Mario Wiki and DK Wiki need to settle among themselves. As long as all wikis involved are okay with it, we could technically have an unlimited amount of wikis on the same subject in NIWA.

(I could have sworn there was a thread about this once, but I cannot find it anymore...)
« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 01:13:54 PM by Vellidragon »

Offline Craig 2.0

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2013, 08:39:42 PM »
Herp all the derps, I made a post that I meant for this topic here instead. Whoops.

Offline dkpat

• The Jupiter Adept
  • Golden Sun Universe Staff
  • Tada!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.dkpat.net
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2013, 10:18:13 PM »
Moving my discussion from the NintendoWiki thread and Wars members responses.  There is a point in the life of a wiki and it's series that is is covering, where you simply can't improve. This mostly applies to the game series that end or haven't seen a new game in a long time. (Such as Wars Wiki, and Wikibound, and Golden Sun Universe really) It's unfortunate, but the truth. Whenever that point is reached,which hasn't happened to any of these wikis yet though GSU is getting close, the only thing left for these wikis are maintenance. We will need to keep this in mind.

When a series dies off, the fan base will be lacking greatly. This is the problem with Wikibound and Wars Wiki. They don't have enough of a fan base to craft a fully developed wiki. So, I'm not sure that as NIWA, we can really help them very much.

Offline IceScream

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2013, 10:25:14 AM »
1. Starfy Wiki is currently "active", although only Torchickens is doing almost all the work:
    http://starfywiki.org/index.php?title=Special:RecentChanges&days=30&from=&limit=500
    Where is the other people (even staff) gone?

2. Still no one wants to help out the poor NintendoWiki? I'm bad at creating articles because I'm not that good on english.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 01:47:14 PM by IceScream »

Offline Torchickens

• StarfyWiki Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2013, 05:44:47 PM »
1. Starfy Wiki is currently "active", although only Torchickens is doing almost all the work:
    http://starfywiki.org/index.php?title=Special:RecentChanges&days=30&from=&limit=500
    Where is the other people (even staff) gone?

I believe the other staff are busy with real life matters. The Wiki is kind of filling up, as there hasn't been a new game in the series since 2009 and many aspects of the series (e.g. characters/enemies, recently costumes) are all covered. It would be great if a new game was released this year.

We've actually never really been too active, probably since the Starfy series has a relatively small fanbase. Most of our edits come from staff.
Hello. I identify as female. She/her pronouns please. :)

(credits to Moydow)

I spend a lot of my time making videos about Pokémon glitches on my Youtube channel ChickasaurusGL.

I'm the editor in chief of Starfy Wiki. Let me know or Tappy know of any bugs or other concerns. :)

Discord: Torchickens #3213
Twitter: Torchickens
Email: [email protected]

Offline Maxite

• Icaruspedia Staff
  • Otaku Nut
    • View Profile
    • OtakuDeus
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2013, 06:45:58 AM »
After much tears and frustration, I have finally managed to get Asirra working on Icaruspedia.

Offline IceScream

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2013, 09:28:47 AM »
After much tears and frustration, I have finally managed to get Asirra working on Icaruspedia.

Does the existing spam accounts will get deleted? Also, does this deserves on Icaruspedia's news section? It might help the activity: http://www.kidicaruswiki.org/Icaruspedia:Skyworld#Where_did_everyone_go.3F

Edit: Does Wars Wiki staff known about the Asirra extension? It also having a account spam problem.
Link from the first post: http://warswiki.warscentral.com/index.php?title=Special:RecentChanges&limit=500

Bulbanews (not the main wiki) as well: http://bulbanews.bulbagarden.net/w/index.php?title=Special:RecentChanges&limit=500
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 05:48:55 PM by IceScream »

Offline IceScream

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2013, 08:43:51 AM »
http://niwanetwork.org/wiki/index.php/NintendoWiki:Community_portal#Current_List

Can someone fix the link of "NIWA Central Contact Page" from html to php? I can't edit that page.

Offline Moydow

• NIWA Coordinator
  • Forum Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Fire Emblem Wiki
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2013, 01:44:33 PM »
http://niwanetwork.org/wiki/index.php/NintendoWiki:Community_portal#Current_List

Can someone fix the link of "NIWA Central Contact Page" from html to php? I can't edit that page.

Done. That page as a whole needs a major update though. I might get around to it later on.

Does the existing spam accounts will get deleted?

It's possible, but very time-consuming. It took me a week to take out literally over 9000 spam accounts on F-Zero Wiki, so I don't recommend it unless you have a lot of free time, or you really want to get rid of the inflated user count. If anyone still wants to delete them, PM me and I'll give you instructions.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 01:51:26 PM by Moydow »
NIWA Coordinator

Offline IceScream

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2013, 03:39:25 PM »
Currently, which of the NIWA sites still having downtime problems?

Offline dkpat

• The Jupiter Adept
  • Tada!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.dkpat.net
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2013, 04:31:39 PM »
Currently, which of the NIWA sites still having downtime problems?
To my knowledge, none. Although Wikibound, Fire Emblem Wiki, and Lylat Wiki may have occasional problems.

Offline IceScream

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2013, 11:16:44 PM »
What's happened with WiKirby lately? It's been having many downtime problems.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 11:25:54 PM by IceScream »

Offline Moydow

• NIWA Coordinator
  • Forum Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Fire Emblem Wiki
« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2013, 12:13:17 AM »
The owner is presently inactive, and it's proving rather difficult to make contact with him. Numerous PMs and e-mails have failed. If you'd like to try, his profile is here.
NIWA Coordinator

Offline IceScream

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2013, 01:49:47 PM »
The owner is presently inactive, and it's proving rather difficult to make contact with him. Numerous PMs and e-mails have failed. If you'd like to try, his profile is here.

Is there any people that know him in real life?

Offline KidIcarus

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2013, 08:51:34 PM »
Not that I know of

Offline Vellidragon

• Hungry dragoness
  • WiKirby Staff
  • That fat girl
    • View Profile
    • Pelsatia
« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2013, 04:02:56 PM »
What's happened with WiKirby lately? It's been having many downtime problems.
As of today, WiKirby is back online. Don't ask me why or for how long; the period between the last downtimes was only a few days. I haven't heard anything from Adam and he didn't put an explanation on WiKirby either; I don't know if he's even responsible for getting it back online or what on earth has been happening to it. It's certainly not profiting from the downtimes and lack of clarity on them (or even certainty that they will be looked into within any reasonable amount of time or at all).

Offline Koroku

• Wikimoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 30, 2013, 02:04:13 AM »
As of today, WiKirby is back online. Don't ask me why or for how long; the period between the last downtimes was only a few days. I haven't heard anything from Adam and he didn't put an explanation on WiKirby either; I don't know if he's even responsible for getting it back online or what on earth has been happening to it. It's certainly not profiting from the downtimes and lack of clarity on them (or even certainty that they will be looked into within any reasonable amount of time or at all).
Want a new host? I currently host Golden Sun Universe and Wikimon, and would be willing to take on WiKirby.

Offline Vellidragon

• Hungry dragoness
  • WiKirby Staff
  • That fat girl
    • View Profile
    • Pelsatia
« Reply #39 on: April 30, 2013, 08:55:29 PM »
Want a new host? I currently host Golden Sun Universe and Wikimon, and would be willing to take on WiKirby.
An easier to reach host would help, but unfortunately, the hosting also can't be moved with seemingly no way of reaching Adam, and even if there was one, he would most likely refuse to pass on the hosting or even share access with someone else experienced as he has been doing previously for Bast knows what arbitrary reasoning (as far as I can tell, he has mainly been using the "this is what Ax would have wanted" justification, though I'm fairly certain he wouldn't have wanted the site to rot away without anyone to actively take care of its server and software). He's very overprotective of the site and server even though he has rarely if ever been doing anything to either for quite a while (even when he was a bit more responsive, he has been unwilling to cooperate even on simple issues like installing extensions). Unless a miracle happens, I don't have any hope that anyone will be able to properly take over the hosting anytime soon unless some workaround surfaces.