Author Topic: German NIWA  (Read 10438 times)

Offline Mariofan13

• German NIWA Staff, Admin of MarioWiki
    • View Profile
German NIWA
« on: March 03, 2014, 09:11:45 AM »
Dear NIWA staff,

I'm Mariofan13, an admin of german MarioWiki and webmsater of the german Mario Forum. The german NIWA is not really present in the german web and we only have threee members, arioWiki, NintendoWiki and Zeldapendium. But we, some admin colleagues and I, made plans for a better internet presence of german Nintendo Independent Wiki Alliance and for getting more members. At first, we want to set up a webpage and a bulletin board for NIWA on my server. The domain I registered for the homepage is niwanetzwerk.net (translation of niwanetwork). I have some questions about the homepage and the board:
  • Shall we use a similar design to your homepage or shall we create our own design?
  • If your answer is  we shall use a similar design, there's another question: Which CMS and template do you use?
  • Shall we use SimpleMachinesForum too? (I would prefer Burning Board or Xenforo, but XF is a little bit expensive :D)

We will put a link to niwanetwork.org on our page, that's sure :) It would be great if oyu can link to niwanetzwerk.net after our page is finished :)

Greetz,
Mariofan13

PS:Why transparent areas of my avatar become black? I tried to set my avatar by URL and by uploading and nothing change...?
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 09:25:38 AM by Mariofan13 »
404 - Signature not found

Offline Torchickens

• StarfyWiki Staff
    • View Profile
Re: German NIWA
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2014, 02:53:54 PM »
I don't know the technical details behind the English NIWA layout, but I think that you should use whatever layout/forum you feel suits you best. If you prefer Burning Board over SimpleMachineForums, I think you should go ahead and use that, and not feel that you have to mirror our NIWA, but then again I don't have experience with forum applications, so I'll wait for what others say.

If you do want to mirror English NIWA, I'm sure a person with server access will be able to help you in regards to your first and second questions if you decide to use a similar design.

Good luck on setting up the hub! I was not aware that a German NIWA was forming. I think it would be great linking to you!

(I feel that my post probably didn't answer your questions. Sorry if it didn't.)
Hello. I identify as female. She/her pronouns please. :)

(credits to Moydow)

I spend a lot of my time making videos about Pokémon glitches on my Youtube channel ChickasaurusGL.

I'm the editor in chief of Starfy Wiki. Let me know or Tappy know of any bugs or other concerns. :)

Discord: Torchickens #3213
Twitter: Torchickens
Email: [email protected]

Offline dkpat

• The Jupiter Adept
  • Golden Sun Universe Staff
  • Tada!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.dkpat.net
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2014, 03:08:28 PM »
there's another question: Which CMS and template do you use?

The niwa homepage doesn't use a CMS. It is a hand coded, custom website. It's slightly technical since it isn't one file per page you see, but it isn't a full blown CMS either. Also, There is a (eventual) plan to change the NIWA website forums to another software, but we are still waiting for that.

Offline Mariofan13

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2014, 06:52:28 PM »
Thank you :)
the german NIWA was founded when MarioWiki left Wixia at January 1st 2012 I think, but it was really not present in the worldwide web. And now we want to be more present and to get more members :) We're going to contact Pokewiki, to create a smash wiki - and to create our homepage and board.  Die, Wikia!! >:( 8)

I prefer Burning Board, because I created the german Mario Forum with Burning Board too, and I really like the software :)

he niwa homepage doesn't use a CMS. It is a hand coded, custom website. It's slightly technical since it isn't one file per page you see, but it isn't a full blown CMS either. Also, There is a (eventual) plan to change the NIWA website forums to another software, but we are still waiting for that.

To which software? I hope no vBulletin :D

Offline Moydow

• NIWA Coordinator
  • Forum Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Fire Emblem Wiki
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2014, 07:58:48 PM »
I'm not familiar with Burning Board, but in terms of free software, I'm quite fond of MyBB myself. Also, avoid phpBB :p

he niwa homepage doesn't use a CMS. It is a hand coded, custom website. It's slightly technical since it isn't one file per page you see, but it isn't a full blown CMS either. Also, There is a (eventual) plan to change the NIWA website forums to another software, but we are still waiting for that.

Pretty sure that's the current plan - last I heard, anyway.

Viel Glück mit der deutschen NIWA! Ich wünsche Ihnen viel Erfolg bei ihm. :)
NIWA Coordinator

Offline Mariofan13

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2014, 09:41:55 PM »

Pretty sure that's the current plan - last I heard, anyway.

Yes,  I also think that MyBB is the best free forum. But I recommend not to use a vBulletin. vBulletin 3 was pretty good but then the company Internet Brands took Jelsoft, the delveloper of vBulletin, over - and the following versions 4 and especially the current version 5 are not more than bugs :) There are lots of big communities who merged ther vBulletin-based forums to Xenforo, Burning Board or other software. You should look for other forum software like Burning Board 4, Xenforo or maybe IP-Board :) Or continue using SMF - but please remove the stupid captcha which I must solve if I want to reply to my topic :)
In my Forum, mario-forum.net, I don't use any captcha or antispam question - and it's completely free of spam postings and spam accounts since I created it, because I use a honeypot and Stopforumspam ;)

Viel Glück mit der deutschen NIWA! Ich wünsche Ihnen viel Erfolg bei ihm. :)
Thank you very much :)

I will inform you, when our homepage is finished :) Because I'm not so fit in Javascript and php, I think a CMS will be better, but I don'T wnat to use wordpress, I'm preferring Contao :) Maybe a Burning board/WoltLab Community Framework is enough for the whole webpage, I must check it :)

Is there a thread where  users can tell what happened to them at wixia? :D
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 09:53:02 PM by Mariofan13 »

Offline Moydow

• NIWA Coordinator
  • Forum Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Fire Emblem Wiki
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2014, 10:27:04 PM »
I think the main reason vBulletin is the most likely, is because Archaic (the webmaster, and also owner of Bulbagarden) is more used to it, from using it on the Bulbagarden forums. A few other people have mentioned not to use vB though. We'll just have to see what happens, I guess.

please remove the stupid captcha which I must solve if I want to reply to my topic :)

That should be gone, now you have 3 posts. If not, let me know, and I'll look more into it.

Is there a thread where  users can tell what happened to them at wixia? :D

We've had a few threads like that, but most of those are long dead - you should probably start your own, if you want to.
NIWA Coordinator

Offline Mariofan13

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2014, 11:19:37 PM »
Bulbagarden forums ar erunning with vBulletin 4.2. vBilletin 4.2 is acceptable. vBulletin 5 is buggy and trash. Even in the german support forum vbulletin-germany.com the staff recommends NOT to use/buy vBulletin anymore :)

And yes, the captcha is gone now :)

Okay, maybe I will start another thread tomorrow :)
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 11:22:50 PM by Mariofan13 »

Offline Mariofan13

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2014, 11:41:48 AM »
Because I have problems with uploading the files to my server, setting up the homepage of german NIWA will take longer than expected, I'm so sorry - and a little bit annoyed :D

Offline Mariofan13

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2014, 06:20:52 PM »
(I hope double-posting doesn't matter)

The content managing system Contao is installed, but I haven't had any time for creating the homepage yet because of school :(

Offline KidIcarus

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2015, 01:34:22 AM »
I'm not too aware of German culture but I think the design should reflect the German language since most people visiting it will speak German and be from Germany