Author Topic: Questions Regarding ZeldaWiki's move to Gamepedia  (Read 6152 times)

Offline DTM

• View Profile
Questions Regarding ZeldaWiki's move to Gamepedia
« on: March 23, 2017, 04:36:51 AM »
Hello!  I have some questions regarding ZeldaWiki's move to Gamepedia.  Though I am personally nervous about such a move, I understand the reasoning for such an action.  There are a couple things I would like some clarifications about the move though:

• What specifically prompted the move to Gamepedia?
  • If in the future ZeldaWiki wants to change hosts, will Gamepedia have to remove ZeldaWiki's content from their site?
  • Are the original accounts from ZeldaWiki.org still there and can be recovered should ZeldaWiki change hosts?
  • How much independence is given to the ZeldaWiki team? Are all issues are to be decided upon by the community?
  • Is it possible in the future to have the site use the original ZeldaWiki.org domain while still being hosted by Gamepedia (or possibly remove the top bar while still keeping the bottom section)? This is a really minor thing though.

I am looking forward for the future of ZeldaWiki and I hope it can continue to grow and improve.

Offline Jason

• Zelda Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
Re: Questions Regarding ZeldaWiki's move to Gamepedia
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2017, 02:06:18 PM »
Hey! Thanks for asking :D here are some answers:

• We're not just joining Gamepedia, we're also joining their team to help them run things. We've spent years working with Curse, we really like them. When we approached them last year at E3 about a project to build a spiritual successor to NIWA as a business, they got really excited, and we spent the next six months figuring out what that would look like. That said, a lot of it is still forming, so there isn't anything extra to announce just yet ;)
  • ZW can't change hosts - if we wanted to leave, we'd have to start a new wiki under a new name. We don't think that's going to happen, so we're cool with it.
  • Original accounts aren't around anymore, but all edits have been preserved. You can use this form to claim your edits on your Gamepedia account: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSenGiwy8Wm1OseuPhdSHFIgK_yRsJXbjpsFxhK1AFDGvmhdDg/viewform?usp=sf_link
  • Gamepedia has no say over who's on the team or anything we do, what we write, what the wiki looks like, and what extensions we add. We let them manage our ads, though, and their developers add our extensions to Hydra so that any wiki can use them. (As a part of joining Gamepedia we've actually open-sourced one of our custom plugins! Their dev team does a great job contributing back to MediaWiki core and the extension community, and that was another big factor that led us to want to work more with them.)
  • Definitely. Actually, I'm working on this with the Gamepedia team now - possibly on a feature that lets any Gamepedia wiki have its own custom domain. I think the pressure from people to have custom domains is pretty strong. Also, we love our domain and would be thrilled to see it back!

Lemme know if you have any more questions :D cheers!
« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 02:09:56 PM by Jason »