Author Topic: Alliance Requests  (Read 174303 times)

Offline Garlic Man

• Fluent Japanese Speaker
    • View Profile
Re: Alliance Requests
« Reply #40 on: February 15, 2010, 11:33:50 PM »
I don't know how to say this, but I'm still against having Fantendo part of NIWA (nothing personal, Plumber), unless I am convinced enough.

My take is that the Alliance should only include specific encyclopedia wikis for each franchise.

Offline Level 3

• F-Zero Wiki Staff
  • Hey everyone, just here to help with the effort.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 15, 2010, 11:34:50 PM »
I believe the one that may be considered is this wiki.
That's what I thought too, but I think Level 3 is talking about the other one.

I was, in fact, talking about Wikirby

I would consider adding a Star Fox Wiki and an F-Zero Wiki, but I don't know any independent ones.

Well that may be why Wikirby and Metroidwiki were made, specifically

WiKirby will get into the alliance when it's ready. It was indeed created for that specific purpose.

I guess if anyone should come across a potential candidate we should inform the alliance of it, right?

Admin at the F-Zero Wiki.

Offline SMB

• Super Mario Bros.
  • Super Mario Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 15, 2010, 11:55:20 PM »
I guess if anyone should come across a potential candidate we should inform the alliance of it, right?

Yes.

(Credit to Edofenrir for making it.)

Offline KidIcarus

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 15, 2010, 11:59:12 PM »
Wait, I don't think I fully understand why Kirbypedia is being excluded from this alliance. It has about 450 more articles than Wikirby, and it already has a community behind it. I think it would be unfair to leave them out and replace them with a newly made wiki.

Offline Garlic Man

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 15, 2010, 11:59:30 PM »

Yes.
Also tell them to look at our forums and figure out if they want to join us/we want them to join, if such a wiki is found.

Offline 2257

• Super Mario Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 16, 2010, 12:02:09 AM »
Wait, I don't think I fully understand why Kirbypedia is being excluded from this alliance. It has about 450 more articles than Wikirby, and it already has a community behind it. I think it would be unfair to leave them out and replace them with a newly made wiki.

Kirbypedia does not allow open registration.

http://www.kirbysrainbowresort.net/kirbypedia/Kirbypedia:About
http://www.kirbysrainbowresort.net/kirbypedia/Joining_Kirbypedia

Offline KidIcarus

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 16, 2010, 12:05:10 AM »

Kirbypedia does not allow open registration.

http://www.kirbysrainbowresort.net/kirbypedia/Kirbypedia:About
http://www.kirbysrainbowresort.net/kirbypedia/Joining_Kirbypedia

Ohh okay, thanks for clearing that up.

Offline Axiomist

• Retired Staff
    • View Profile
    • WiKirby
« Reply #47 on: February 16, 2010, 12:45:20 AM »
WiKirby is a start up, we aren't claiming it's perfect. Afterall, It's not launched yet. Kirbypedia is running on MediaWiki 1.6 with no extensions added. This tells me they know Kirby games, but don't have the technical expertise to actually be a strong wiki. I don't like the "nobody can edit but us" rule either. But if they want to get with us and work like how Zelda Wiki.org was formed, I'm open to that. Zelda Wiki.org was formed by several Zelda sites merging their content and sharing staff duties. However, at this point WiKirby has little content as we've mostly been debugging and testing. With the expertise we have from running our home wikis and the support of those, we'll be in good standings relatively soon. After all, the tricks we've learned over the years at our wikis are utilized from the get-go here.

Offline Level 3

• F-Zero Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 16, 2010, 02:13:17 AM »
WiKirby is a start up, we aren't claiming it's perfect. Afterall, It's not launched yet. Kirbypedia is running on MediaWiki 1.6 with no extensions added. This tells me they know Kirby games, but don't have the technical expertise to actually be a strong wiki. I don't like the "nobody can edit but us" rule either. But if they want to get with us and work like how Zelda Wiki.org was formed, I'm open to that. Zelda Wiki.org was formed by several Zelda sites merging their content and sharing staff duties. However, at this point WiKirby has little content as we've mostly been debugging and testing. With the expertise we have from running our home wikis and the support of those, we'll be in good standings relatively soon. After all, the tricks we've learned over the years at our wikis are utilized from the get-go here.

You have to give it time, it was made for the purpose of joining the alliance, and it not even a month old, as is metroidwiki.

Offline Tappy

• Forum Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hyrule.net
« Reply #49 on: February 16, 2010, 02:13:56 AM »
For future reference Metroid Wiki and Kirby Wiki (metroidwiki.org and wikirby.info) will be a part of NIWA once they are fully launched. They were generally created for this association, thus the reason why they are so "new."
Webmaster of Hyrule.net (a mastermind of ZeldaWiki.org)

Offline Level 3

• F-Zero Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 16, 2010, 02:40:46 AM »
For future reference Metroid Wiki and Kirby Wiki (metroidwiki.org and wikirby.info) will be a part of NIWA once they are fully launched. They were generally created for this association, thus the reason why they are so "new."

Should those two prove to be successful, will more wikis on other Nintendo series follow?

Offline Tucayo

• Super Mario Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • MarioWiki's Shroom
« Reply #51 on: February 16, 2010, 02:42:45 AM »

Should those two prove to be successful, will more wikis on other Nintendo series follow?
Yes :)

Offline Garlic Man

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 16, 2010, 02:45:46 AM »
Metroid Wiki actually is launched, it's just not ready to join the Alliance yet.

Offline Tucayo

• Super Mario Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • MarioWiki's Shroom
« Reply #53 on: February 16, 2010, 02:54:34 AM »
as a trivia, both wikis have the same amount of articles as of now (78)

Offline Level 3

• F-Zero Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 16, 2010, 02:57:29 AM »
Didn't they launch at nearly the same day as well?

Offline Garlic Man

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 16, 2010, 03:03:06 AM »
I believe that is true.

Offline Level 3

• F-Zero Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 16, 2010, 04:19:03 AM »
I'm gonna go ahead and try to look for a few independent Nintendo wikis tomorrow, it would be nice to find a few that aren't already heavily involved with the current members (*points at Wikirby and Metroid Wiki*)

Just to clarify: thing's like Sonic are still not permitted? Sonic is practically Nintendo these days anyway, it's just that he goes multi-platform. Only series that are PURE Nintendo?
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 04:20:57 AM by Level 3 »

Offline Garlic Man

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 16, 2010, 04:22:26 AM »
There aren't a whole lot out there; convincing existing wikis to secede and move to their own server is also another option.

Offline Level 3

• F-Zero Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 16, 2010, 04:37:30 AM »
I guess I'll look for any good nintendo wiki, and I'll just point them out, but I'll put a focus on finding independent ones first.

Just to clarify: thing's like Sonic are still not permitted? Sonic is practically Nintendo these days anyway, it's just that he goes multi-platform. Only series that are PURE Nintendo?

Offline Garlic Man

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 16, 2010, 04:40:56 AM »
IIRC, Sonic was decided against

Sonic appears in PS3 games, so he's not "practically" Nintendo.

I don't think multi-platform characters count. Because then, Solid Snake would also be a similar case.