Author Topic: Alliance Requests  (Read 174152 times)

Offline SMB

• Super Mario Bros.
  • Super Mario Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
Re: Alliance Requests
« Reply #340 on: June 18, 2010, 07:21:02 PM »
WiKid Icarus and Paletunapedia both sound pretty cool.

(Credit to Edofenrir for making it.)

Offline Remino52

• PRISM STARS
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: June 18, 2010, 07:35:42 PM »
WiKid Icarus and Paletunapedia both sound pretty cool.

Agreed, I also kinda like Wiki Icarus.

Look for Big Red on the Phantasy Star Online Blue Burst Private Servers.

Proud supporter of NIWA Wikis!

Offline KidIcarus

• View Profile
« Reply #342 on: June 20, 2010, 02:04:16 AM »
Does a wiki need to be hosted on a home server to be considered independent?

I was thinking about using a web hosting service to host a website, then upload MediaWiki software onto the website. I also plan to get a custom domain name for it. The web hosting service would not be a dedicated wiki-hosting service. Right now I'm looking at sites like http://www.yola.com/. Would this be considered independent?

Offline tacopill

• Lylat Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • csanimefan
« Reply #343 on: June 20, 2010, 02:20:48 AM »
Does a wiki need to be hosted on a home server to be considered independent?

I was thinking about using a web hosting service to host a website, then upload MediaWiki software onto the website. I also plan to get a custom domain name for it. The web hosting service would not be a dedicated wiki-hosting service. Right now I'm looking at sites like http://www.yola.com/. Would this be considered independent?

Yea, that's independent.....as far as I know. Lylat Wiki and PK Wiki are off of a bluehost-based server, as I currently don't Have the capabilities to run a full-scale website from home.

Offline Axiomist

• Retired Staff
    • View Profile
    • WiKirby
« Reply #344 on: June 20, 2010, 11:42:10 AM »
I think people can start off with anything to get the ball moving. If they (you) aren't comfortable taking a financial risk, then feel free to begin at one of those free sites. If you can control your own content and take it with you later, then it shouldn't be a problem. Wikia doesn't allow that-so that's a bad place to start.

This of course would be postponing the financial investment to the site until NIWA membership is sought. I for one would only vote in sites that are being hosted and the owners having to pay for it. Without that factor, it's too cheap and is likely to be abandoned later. When the owner(s) have to put in money from their pockets-they'll probably take more of an interest in the project. I do recommend you purchase whatever domain name you want as soon as you can to make sure no one else does later and you have to settle for a less desired name.

Now if you are meaning that your home pc has the capabilities to actually host the site and you have the technical expertise to keep it going, then that's even better than paying someone imo.

Offline Gamefreak75

• Super Mario Wiki Staff
  • Mario Wiki and Pikmin Fanon Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #345 on: July 04, 2010, 06:09:06 AM »
I'm not sure Kid Icarus is a big enough series to start a wiki on.

Offline Axiomist

• Retired Staff
    • View Profile
    • WiKirby
« Reply #346 on: July 04, 2010, 07:09:42 AM »
Probably not, I suspect "dwindling returns" for most future Nintendo Wikis. The biggest are in, except one more that will be added soon. For the most part, from here on out, I think we'll be looking at dedicated backing of each wiki from its fan community as a factor. Some of the others have a lot of potential, Star Fox, Earthbound, Animal Crossing, and Smash Bros for example. They have fragmented communities and the only existing wikis are on wiki farms. If some effort to unite the fan base under a single independent wiki can be achieved, I suspect they'll make great NIWA member sites.

The main obstacle, I think, is that people will have a hard time letting go of the work they did on a wiki farm-even if it means missing out on what may someday be the better known site. I think the passions for the independent wikis are so high because people can visit them and actually feel the creator's own love for the series. To me, the Neoseeker, wikispaces, etc sites feel more impersonal and disconnected than they actually are-but the few people that work on them should be approached delicately if creating a "rival" wiki. I say rival for a lack of a better term, we don't really compete head to head like sports teams or offline businesses do.

Offline Gamefreak75

• Super Mario Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: July 04, 2010, 07:41:24 AM »
Ah, so the problem is the lack of editors that ant to edit if I get it? And when you mean wiki farms, do you mean wikia?

Offline Remino52

• PRISM STARS
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: July 04, 2010, 05:42:31 PM »
That makes the most sense.

Offline Nickno

• View Profile
« Reply #349 on: July 04, 2010, 06:25:34 PM »
Probably not, I suspect "dwindling returns" for most future Nintendo Wikis. The biggest are in, except one more that will be added soon. For the most part, from here on out, I think we'll be looking at dedicated backing of each wiki from its fan community as a factor. Some of the others have a lot of potential, Star Fox, Earthbound, Animal Crossing, and Smash Bros for example. They have fragmented communities and the only existing wikis are on wiki farms. If some effort to unite the fan base under a single independent wiki can be achieved, I suspect they'll make great NIWA member sites.

The main obstacle, I think, is that people will have a hard time letting go of the work they did on a wiki farm-even if it means missing out on what may someday be the better known site. I think the passions for the independent wikis are so high because people can visit them and actually feel the creator's own love for the series. To me, the Neoseeker, wikispaces, etc sites feel more impersonal and disconnected than they actually are-but the few people that work on them should be approached delicately if creating a "rival" wiki. I say rival for a lack of a better term, we don't really compete head to head like sports teams or offline businesses do.

Do you think it's possible to ask a wiki, like the SmashWiki, to become independent? I'm not sure if it's possible, but I would think you could buy an address, and move the pages from one to the other. If this sounds crazy, then nevermind. XD lol.

Offline Member#36

• Striving For A Perfect NIWA Unit
  • Retired Staff
  • Kirby, My Favorite Flavor
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: July 04, 2010, 06:50:32 PM »

Do you think it's possible to ask a wiki, like the SmashWiki, to become independent? I'm not sure if it's possible, but I would think you could buy an address, and move the pages from one to the other. If this sounds crazy, then nevermind. XD lol.

I think SmashWiki is planning on switching off of Wikia, but time will tell.

Offline Remino52

• PRISM STARS
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: July 04, 2010, 07:51:40 PM »

I think SmashWiki is planning on switching off of Wikia, but time will tell.

What makes them hesitant on switching?

Offline Gamefreak75

• Super Mario Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: July 04, 2010, 11:34:38 PM »
It's not that easy you know.

Offline Nickno

• View Profile
« Reply #353 on: July 05, 2010, 03:57:57 AM »
It's not that easy you know.

Your right, since you gotta buy the address, and then move EVERY article over to the new wiki... right?  :eekdance:

Offline Gamefreak75

• Super Mario Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: July 05, 2010, 04:59:56 AM »
Also, the edits you made don't travel over. Say you made 2,000 edits, but  then when you move the pages, you only have 20 edits because you only moved 20 pages.

Offline Justin

• Code Junkie
  • Forum Administrator
  • NIWA's official code monkey
    • View Profile
    • Zelda Wiki
« Reply #355 on: July 05, 2010, 06:54:31 AM »
Also, the edits you made don't travel over. Say you made 2,000 edits, but  then when you move the pages, you only have 20 edits because you only moved 20 pages.

Move the database. It's very simple. All you have to do is export the DB and then use a program called BigDump.php to insert it into the new database structure. Set up your localsettings and voila, you have your wiki.
~~~~
Server bureaucrat of Zelda Wiki. I fix what you break.

Also a tech administrator for Poniverse.

Offline Gamefreak75

• Super Mario Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: July 05, 2010, 07:58:20 AM »

Move the database. It's very simple. All you have to do is export the DB and then use a program called BigDump.php to insert it into the new database structure. Set up your localsettings and voila, you have your wiki.

With edits and user rights included? D:

Offline Justin

• Code Junkie
  • Forum Administrator
  • NIWA's official code monkey
    • View Profile
    • Zelda Wiki
« Reply #357 on: July 06, 2010, 02:06:03 AM »
Yes. Everything from the old wiki will be included on the new.
~~~~
Server bureaucrat of Zelda Wiki. I fix what you break.

Also a tech administrator for Poniverse.