Author Topic: Nintendo Movies  (Read 25491 times)

Offline Mari-Illustrious-Makinami

• The First Children
  • Nintendo Master
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
Re: Nintendo Movies
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2011, 10:36:23 PM »
I don't think Pokémon will work as live-action.

Ever.

Offline BooDestroyer

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2011, 10:37:40 PM »
Live-action Nintendo films? You're all mad. Out. Now.

ANIMATED or nothing

• The First Children
  • Nintendo Master
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2011, 11:03:09 PM »
Hey, it could work with certain franchises.

Offline BooDestroyer

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2011, 11:25:34 PM »
Yes, certain ones. Could be Zelda, could be Metroid. But nothing more.

All the rest, animated.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 11:28:09 PM by BooDestroyer »

Offline Miles of SmashWiki

• Sinister Trivia Villain
  • SmashWiki Staff
  • "Trying to seem mysterious is my hobby."
    • View Profile
    • AllisBrawl profile
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2011, 11:43:09 PM »
Needs more Kirby animated shorts.

Srsbsns is always lurking (?_?)

Offline Tattletale1

• Cartoonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2011, 11:43:48 PM »
Live-action Nintendo films? You're all mad. Out. Now.

ANIMATED or nothing

Hey, it could work with certain franchises.

F-Zero, Metroid, Legend of Zelda, wouldn't work unless they were live action,

As for Pokemon...
...Pokemon Colosseum hasn't had any characters overlapping with the Anime, so it may work in live action if they carefully select Pokemon that could look good when redisigned by the special effects department to be as good or of close quality in design as Transformers, Avatar, Polar Express, Spiderman 3,G-Force, The Last Airbender, and other movies, next to live action characters,
Regular anime fans would be dissappointed because Pikachu would only appear with Eagun, although they would have to make Pikachu look like the hamsters in G-Force, Pikachu would be more of a traveling companion than a powerhouse, with low Attack, and Defense, but better at Electric attacks
Check out my flipnotes at http://flipnote.hatena.com/5386D14051D4DB8F@DSi/

My username is due to my overuse of Goomba Tattle abilities in Paper Mario games.

Offline Tina

• WikiBound Staff
    • View Profile
    • WikiBound
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2011, 11:47:44 PM »
Pokemon already has a ton of movies. Like... what, fourteen? (I know you're talking non-anime but still. Lots of movies already there. It'd be weird if they randomly did a non-anime-related movie for Pokemon.)
WikiBound Editor-in-Chief

Offline BooDestroyer

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2011, 11:54:22 PM »
If they're gonna do something for Mario, then it has to be exactly like the intros to Mario Power Tennis and Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour.

The intros to those games were much more entertaining than the games themselves.

Offline R7308xx

• The poison in your drink... whoops.
  • New and, unfortunately, improved.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2011, 04:18:18 AM »
A live action Pokémon movie would be terrible. Metroid: Other M or Super Metroid would be incredible. Same for Legend of Zelda and Stah Fox. All the cartoony series need cartoon movies and all the realistic ones need live action movies.
I blame the economy.

Offline Tattletale1

• Cartoonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2011, 10:38:14 PM »
A live action Pokémon movie would be terrible.

If it were Pokemon Colosseum based, live action wouldn't have to be terrible, it would even have a more detailed plot than the game, & Shadow Pokemon attacking humans.  They would exclude Pokemon that look akward next to live actors in a dramatic setting,  
They may even use expired Red/Green/Blue sprites, and Super Smash Bros. Brawl frames as references to update a Pokemon's Appearance, such as Pikachu's belly spot that was removed in blue version.  Charizard would look somewhat like it did in Brawl.

Eagun's Pikachu would look akin to the Guinea pigs in G-Force, with golden-yellow/brown fur that looks like its shedding, & less emphasis on the cheek dots,

Ben 10 Alien Swarm, Ben 10 Race Against Time, G-Force, The Last Airbender, Spy Kids 3D, Sharkboy & Lavagirl, were all Live Action.
...Though I question bringing up the titles at the end of the list.

Zelda would be great in live action, with fantasy style special effects, (Clouds of Darkness, Red Infernos, Green Forests, both dark & shady & brightly colored, Shiny White&Blue Zora City)

F-Zero would have to be both live action & 3D, with real actors, & prop/merged special efects races, allowing 3DS Movies to be optimized for the race scenes.

Metroid would need Samus to fight Dark Samus, & Parasite X, while the moviemakers give more credit to the the Space Pirate's (Especially Ridley's) roles than before.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 11:14:21 PM by Tattletale1 »

My username is due to my overuse of Goomba Tattle abilities in Paper Mario games.

• The First Children
  • Nintendo Master
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2011, 12:57:08 AM »
No, Pokémon can never be live-action or CG. Utilizing CG for scenes, while still keeping it 2D, yes. (like the movies have been doing)

Offline Naesala

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2011, 01:04:44 AM »
No, Pokémon can never be live-action or CG.

At least not without it being really creepy.

• The First Children
  • Nintendo Master
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2011, 01:27:55 AM »
That's why it can't.

Offline Tattletale1

• Cartoonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2011, 05:41:41 PM »
Miror B. by himself would be creepy in live action, and he's (somewhat) human.

Offline Naesala

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2011, 01:23:53 AM »

I would love to see him show up in the anime.

Offline Tina

• WikiBound Staff
    • View Profile
    • WikiBound
« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2011, 04:08:34 AM »

What makes him not human? O_o The fact that he dances funny and has weird battle music?
WikiBound Editor-in-Chief

• The First Children
  • Nintendo Master
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2011, 05:41:54 AM »
Y'seen is 'fro?

Not human.

Offline Hope(N Forever)

• Lylat Wiki Staff
  • Non-English Wiki Editor
    • View Profile
    • ASSAD® comixs' website
« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2011, 06:33:44 PM »
People who believe Pokémon can actually work in a live-action format had obviously never watched Pokémon Apokélypse.

By the way, according to this list, there had been many, many film productions over the years based on video games overall, but oddly enough, other than Pokémon, there are barely any adaptations based on Nintendo's most beloved franchises. It seems to me, due to the evil reputation behind film adaptations on video games (many of these films really bombed - in fact, if any film managed to become a blockbuster, it would be a miracle, or at least a job very-well done), many professional script writers and/or producers are too afraid to really risk getting into it in the first place. Methinks adaptations based on comic book characters actually fare far better!

In my opinion, all those whom tried it before and failed were merely thinking on picking up on a franchise's success via the silver screen. In other words, they worked at it merely for the profits rather than the heart. Only true fans can do some kind of moderately successful films based on video games. Unfortunately, it usually is rare thing to have a real video game fan and a big-shot film writer/director/producer all rolled into one, which is why it wouldn't work out unless there is some kind of balance. Those who believe it is easy to successfully adapt an entire video game, singles or series, franchise into a mere two-hour storyline framerate (maximum) are more than likely either utterly brilliant... or absolutely stupid! I doubt there are many geniuses in the film industry, so the latter is a lot more realistic, and the history of boxoffice bombs is a great evidence.

As I can see, there had been two Super Mario films, sixteen Pokémon films (two were made-for-TV), one Animal Crossing film, and one Kirby pseudo-film. These are all the films are based on Nintendo franchises as of 2011. (In case you are wondering, no, Professor Layton does not count. We even discussed this.)

I am wondering if there really should be a Legend of Zelda film. After all, the television series had tainted our beloved series enough! Should there be a film, and it bombed as utterly as the Super Mario Bros. movie did... well, it would really wreak to place such a film on record with a such a superbly epic franchise that is The Legend of Zelda!

I have this gut feeling that Nintendo may have decided not give out licenses for any of their franchises to anyone in Hollywood unless they're making a blockbuster out of it.

That reminds me... whatever happened to the plans Nintendo, or rather Hiroshi Yamauchi, announced that Nintendo would delve into the animated film industry by 2006?
This section needs some editing, but can't seem to be able to click the [edit] button.

Nobody ever believed me when I told them that if you make a collection of information of everything Nintendo, you'll get a wiki that is amazingly the size of a small, but highly-developed Wikipedia!

Offline Tattletale1

• Cartoonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 07, 2011, 03:12:49 PM »
Now that I think about it, a Pokemon Movie should be like Polar express for the "animated actors" characters so that the humans don't look too awkward next to SSBB level CGi grade  Pokemon,

F-Zero better not look like Speed Racer, It hurt my eyes looking at conflictiong cartoon colors, the worst part about that movie was an animated bird (for 3 seconds)

• The First Children
  • Nintendo Master
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #39 on: April 07, 2011, 08:57:18 PM »
People who believe Pokémon can actually work in a live-action format had obviously never watched Pokémon Apokélypse.

By the way, according to this list, there had been many, many film productions over the years based on video games overall, but oddly enough, other than Pokémon, there are barely any adaptations based on Nintendo's most beloved franchises. It seems to me, due to the evil reputation behind film adaptations on video games (many of these films really bombed - in fact, if any film managed to become a blockbuster, it would be a miracle, or at least a job very-well done), many professional script writers and/or producers are too afraid to really risk getting into it in the first place. Methinks adaptations based on comic book characters actually fare far better!

In my opinion, all those whom tried it before and failed were merely thinking on picking up on a franchise's success via the silver screen. In other words, they worked at it merely for the profits rather than the heart. Only true fans can do some kind of moderately successful films based on video games. Unfortunately, it usually is rare thing to have a real video game fan and a big-shot film writer/director/producer all rolled into one, which is why it wouldn't work out unless there is some kind of balance. Those who believe it is easy to successfully adapt an entire video game, singles or series, franchise into a mere two-hour storyline framerate (maximum) are more than likely either utterly brilliant... or absolutely stupid! I doubt there are many geniuses in the film industry, so the latter is a lot more realistic, and the history of boxoffice bombs is a great evidence.

As I can see, there had been two Super Mario films, sixteen Pokémon films (two were made-for-TV), one Animal Crossing film, and one Kirby pseudo-film. These are all the films are based on Nintendo franchises as of 2011. (In case you are wondering, no, Professor Layton does not count. We even discussed this.)

I am wondering if there really should be a Legend of Zelda film. After all, the television series had tainted our beloved series enough! Should there be a film, and it bombed as utterly as the Super Mario Bros. movie did... well, it would really wreak to place such a film on record with a such a superbly epic franchise that is The Legend of Zelda!

I have this gut feeling that Nintendo may have decided not give out licenses for any of their franchises to anyone in Hollywood unless they're making a blockbuster out of it.

That reminds me... whatever happened to the plans Nintendo, or rather Hiroshi Yamauchi, announced that Nintendo would delve into the animated film industry by 2006?
too long; didn't read that s***.