Author Topic: Nintendo Movies  (Read 22850 times)

Offline Seritinajii

• Paradichlorobenzene
  • Fire Emblem Wiki Staff
  • Grammar is important!!
    • View Profile
Re: Nintendo Movies
« Reply #40 on: April 07, 2011, 11:08:30 PM »
People who believe Pokémon can actually work in a live-action format had obviously never watched Pokémon Apokélypse.

By the way, according to this list, there had been many, many film productions over the years based on video games overall, but oddly enough, other than Pokémon, there are barely any adaptations based on Nintendo's most beloved franchises. It seems to me, due to the evil reputation behind film adaptations on video games (many of these films really bombed - in fact, if any film managed to become a blockbuster, it would be a miracle, or at least a job very-well done), many professional script writers and/or producers are too afraid to really risk getting into it in the first place. Methinks adaptations based on comic book characters actually fare far better!

In my opinion, all those whom tried it before and failed were merely thinking on picking up on a franchise's success via the silver screen. In other words, they worked at it merely for the profits rather than the heart. Only true fans can do some kind of moderately successful films based on video games. Unfortunately, it usually is rare thing to have a real video game fan and a big-shot film writer/director/producer all rolled into one, which is why it wouldn't work out unless there is some kind of balance. Those who believe it is easy to successfully adapt an entire video game, singles or series, franchise into a mere two-hour storyline framerate (maximum) are more than likely either utterly brilliant... or absolutely stupid! I doubt there are many geniuses in the film industry, so the latter is a lot more realistic, and the history of boxoffice bombs is a great evidence.

As I can see, there had been two Super Mario films, sixteen Pokémon films (two were made-for-TV), one Animal Crossing film, and one Kirby pseudo-film. These are all the films are based on Nintendo franchises as of 2011. (In case you are wondering, no, Professor Layton does not count. We even discussed this.)

I am wondering if there really should be a Legend of Zelda film. After all, the television series had tainted our beloved series enough! Should there be a film, and it bombed as utterly as the Super Mario Bros. movie did... well, it would really wreak to place such a film on record with a such a superbly epic franchise that is The Legend of Zelda!

I have this gut feeling that Nintendo may have decided not give out licenses for any of their franchises to anyone in Hollywood unless they're making a blockbuster out of it.

That reminds me... whatever happened to the plans Nintendo, or rather Hiroshi Yamauchi, announced that Nintendo would delve into the animated film industry by 2006?
too long; didn't read that s***.

That was highly unnecessary and did not need to be said at all. If you can't be bothered to read something a few paragraphs long you shouldn't reply.

Anyway, I would love to see a film of Legend of Zelda! But I don't see how they would do the plot and stuff. A Zelda game wouldn't really fit a movie. Unfortunately I can't see the video...

Offline BooDestroyer

• View Profile
Re: Nintendo Movies
« Reply #41 on: April 10, 2011, 04:45:32 PM »
Okay, so they've tried some animated series of Nintendo franchises before, but they didn't turn out so well.

But who's saying that they can't do it much better a second time?

If there's to be another Mario animated series, then it has to be exactly like the intro sequences to Mario Golf Toadstool Tour and Mario Power Tennis (CGI and all). Both of which were more entertaining than the games themselves. If these don't just scream "Mario animated series", then I don't know what does.

If there's to be something animated with Zelda, I'd wager it would be a full length feature anime movie of Ocarina of Time.

Or maybe one with the Wind Waker style. Something like this.

And those plans by Yamauchi were scrapped a long time ago. That's not going to happen, don't count on it.