Author Topic: Final Fantasy Alliance  (Read 24669 times)

Offline tacopill

• Lylat Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • csanimefan
Final Fantasy Alliance
« on: September 16, 2010, 04:57:26 PM »
Forgive me for jumping the gun here, but i was thinking about launching an alliance focused on Final Fantasy sometime in 2011 (when i have the money & support, that is).

Before i do so, i was wondering
  • Do you know any final fantasy wiki & fansite's i should approach about this?
  • Should i focus on just final fantasy, or all of Square Enix?
  • Would 1 wiki suffice to cover all of them, or should each game have a separate wiki?

Thank you for the feedback,
Tacopill.

Offline mtn_otter

• Robot, Philosopher, Redneck, Cynic, Psychopath
    • View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy Alliance
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2010, 07:07:12 PM »
  • Do you know any final fantasy wiki & fansite's i should approach about this?
I don't know of any, but a quick search on Google didn't reveal anything active that's non-Wikia.

Final Fantasy on its own is huge. I don't think an entire Square Enix Wiki would be a good idea, at least at this point.

• Would 1 wiki suffice to cover all of them, or should each game have a separate wiki?
I think one wiki would work, but(if you're intent on keeping things from separate games separate) you could give each game it's own namespace like on this non-Nintendo Wiki. (Mods, sorry if that counts as advertising, but from what I understand of the rules here, it is only considered advertising if the sole purpose of the post is "go to this site". I am completely fine with editing out the link if you disagree.)
As a form of protest, I refuse to make a signature...

Offline Axiomist

• Retired Staff
    • View Profile
    • WiKirby
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2010, 06:12:44 AM »
Relevant external linking is fine :p I mean how is anyone supposed to see what you are referring to?

Offline SilverCrono

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2010, 11:07:33 PM »
    Hello. How ironic I found this; the FF, Kingdom Hearts, Chrono Trigger, and many other wikis are rebelling and discussing a move because of Wikia's new skin, and their listening to problems (or lack thereof).

Do you know any final fantasy wiki & fansite's i should approach about this?[/li][/list]
I would suggest finalfantasy.wikia.com. They are the biggest FF wiki out there (I come from there), and they are contemplating moving.

The Kingdom Hearts wiki is having a huge discussion about moving, and an admin (DoorToNothing) suggested a NIWA-esque wiki hub, except for Square Enix products. The wikis to be involved, as he thought, would include Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, Chrono Series (of which I am an admin of), Dragon Quest, and more. So theres your answer.

[quote ]
[/quote]
I believe it would be a NIWA-like thing.

So, there you go. I'm just informing you guys of this; maybe NIWA wants to help or something. If you want to help out, feel free. The Kingdom Hearts Wiki discussion forum is here --> http://kingdomhearts.wikia.com/wiki/Forum:Where_will_we_go%3F

Offline tacopill

• Lylat Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • csanimefan
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2010, 01:49:11 AM »
Thank you for informing me on this. On the Final Fantasy Wikia, Do you have any specific threads to recommend i talk on? also, would you mind introducing me?
« Last Edit: November 06, 2010, 01:50:43 AM by tacopill »

Offline Adam

• WiKirby Staff
  • WiKirby owner and Zelda Wiki admin
    • View Profile
    • My user page at Zelda Wiki
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2010, 06:12:02 AM »
I couldn't find any recent or specific moving discussions on FF wiki's forums. But as far as KH is concerned, Neo and I both already chimed in, and Porplemontage recently offered them hosting (search for his name here).

Offline tacopill

• Lylat Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • csanimefan
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2010, 04:40:56 PM »
I couldn't find any recent or specific moving discussions on FF wiki's forums. But as far as KH is concerned, Neo and I both already chimed in, and Porplemontage recently offered them hosting (search for his name here).

Yea. I saw. I was hoping to one day offer hosting as well, but Prop beat me to it.

Maybe i can offer to the FF Wiki, if they are interested?

Offline Level 3

• F-Zero Wiki Staff
  • Hey everyone, just here to help with the effort.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2010, 02:26:38 AM »
someone on the KH discusion linked to a FF one about moving, i'll try to find it again.

Admin at the F-Zero Wiki.

Offline tacopill

• Lylat Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • csanimefan
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2010, 02:45:27 AM »
someone on the KH discusion linked to a FF one about moving, i'll try to find it again.

Thank you.

Offline Level 3

• F-Zero Wiki Staff
  • Hey everyone, just here to help with the effort.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2010, 03:30:24 AM »

Admin at the F-Zero Wiki.

Offline tacopill

• Lylat Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • csanimefan

Offline SilverCrono

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2010, 08:45:07 AM »
Another site to keep track of is here http://kingdomhearts.wikia.com/wiki/Forum:Square_Enix_Portal . Please post and pitch in to this discussion.

Offline tacopill

• Lylat Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • csanimefan
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2010, 04:57:53 PM »
Another site to keep track of is here http://kingdomhearts.wikia.com/wiki/Forum:Square_Enix_Portal . Please post and pitch in to this discussion.

Cool. Thank you.

Offline Xizor

• Zelda Wiki Bureaucrat
  • Forum Administrator
  • Talk to me. :)
    • View Profile
    • Legend of Zelda.com
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2010, 07:56:54 AM »
Glad to see people taking things into their own hands, rather than waiting for us to do things for them.

Bureaucrat of

Offline Adam

• WiKirby Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2010, 06:15:22 PM »
Update on this; KrytenKoro is now leading a movement to form SEIWA (the Square Enix Independent Wiki Alliance), and plans to discuss this on IRC tonight after 5PM EST (here). They really need to get together all the staff of the potential member wikis, but some input from NIWA would doubtless be helpful too.

Offline tacopill

• Lylat Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • csanimefan
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2010, 06:25:01 PM »
Update on this; KrytenKoro is now leading a movement to form SEIWA (the Square Enix Independent Wiki Alliance), and plans to discuss this on IRC tonight after 5PM EST (here). They really need to get together all the staff of the potential member wikis, but some input from NIWA would doubtless be helpful too.

I intend on participating in this conversation. While i am doing so, do you think i should bring up the fact that Independence is one of founding principles, since they are trying to form a niwa-like group?

The reason i bring this up, is i think KH Wiki has decided to go to Wikii and the More NIWA-like they become, the less likely that KH would be a member.

Just a thought.

Offline Adam

• WiKirby Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2010, 09:08:00 PM »
Yeah, I noticed that too. Here's how I look at it; they're all Wikia wikis at the moment. So who are we to say that they have to have the same definition on "independence" as we have? For us, it meets complete autonomy and full control. For Wikia leavers, maybe it just needs to mean "no longer ruled by Wikia"? Wikkii may be as far as they go, or it may be the first step on their path to full independence.

The way I'd handle it is just to present the pros and cons fully to them, so they're aware of the implications of each option. Don't forget, installing and hosting your own wiki must be a scary prospect for these Wikia types!  ;)

Offline tacopill

• Lylat Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • csanimefan
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2010, 03:25:13 AM »
NIWA Representative Reporting in:
SEIWA chat past bin, and any after responses. My user name on wikia and in that chat is "Bud0011".

Review
The chat went well, i think. It was spontaneous, so i couldn't get in at the start like i was planing, but it came together nicely. They allowed me to tell them about how niwa works, mechanically (like how new members join and such), our founding principles and such.

I did my best to mention they didn't have to  follow our model to the letter, but they were curious about how we did things. Hopefully they customize it to fit there own needs.

They plan on talking to each of the Square Enix wikias (both games they work on and Anime they sponsor), and would like to see if it is possible to get a place where they can share a central user log in system (one of these places being prople's Kingdom hearts Web space, and another being Wikkii). 

I also recommended them to get a central hub website with forums, and if they do, asked them to invite me in. If this goes according to plan, i might be able to be a go-between on both forums *crosses fingers*.

Key speakers (in my opinion)
  • Zyeriis - only remaining admin at FFXIV Wikia. Before Oasis, the wiki had a few thousand edtiors; after oasis it dropped to 10, at most.
  • KKoro - the person who started the IRC chats, and is responsible for KH transfer stuff. (e.g. He talks with porple directly, he sets up the wikkii if the community decides to go there, etc.).
  • the rest of the people talked, but i didn't learn enough about them to give you any information here. Sorry.

Anyway, i had to close the IRC after the session was done due to my skype overflowing with texts, but i told them if they need me, just post on my talk page or on the SE Portal forum page.

Offline Tucayo

• Super Mario Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • MarioWiki's Shroom
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2010, 09:13:24 PM »
I just want to make this clear, we will be friends, right? Not rivals, am I right?

Offline tacopill

• Lylat Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • csanimefan
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2010, 09:32:58 PM »
I just want to make this clear, we will be friends, right? Not rivals, am I right?

I am doing my best to make sure that we are friends. Does it look like they are leaning towards being rivals of us?