Author Topic: Main Pages (Pimp 'em!)  (Read 19937 times)

Offline Axiomist

• Retired Staff
    • View Profile
    • WiKirby
Main Pages (Pimp 'em!)
« on: September 24, 2010, 01:37:24 AM »
Malake and I were talking about pending members' main pages and the lack of development on them. So who's ever been interested in a main page design? At the very least posting ideas for things to have on each wiki's main page would help.

I'm torn on where to work first so I'll just post the state of the main pages at each wiki.

WikiBound- possibly the least developed main page, but a structure seems to have been set. I started a MainPageProject there but had to wait for the colors to be decided on.

Lylat Wiki. has a main page, but imo it's just basic and unappealing. It has improved since I last looked at it, but I actually have no ideas on what to do for that one.

Fire Emblem Wiki, looks like the style is set and would merely be a matter of generating content.

Animal Crossing Wiki, possibly needs even less. What they have is basic, yeah, but it flows nicely. I suppose a few apps on the page to give it a wiki feel would be good.

SSB Wiki, seems the news is out as there are messages on WiKirby from one of the editors.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 03:21:26 AM by Axiomist »

Offline Tina

• WikiBound Staff
    • View Profile
    • WikiBound
Re: Main Pages (Pimp 'em!)
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2010, 02:36:47 AM »
WikiBound... yeah, the main page is really blah right now. I've been messing around with skins and color schemes and stuff in general, so I could probably help out with setting up a style. Though all I'm coming up design wise is something... simple. Reminiscent of the games. With um.. gold.

And then probably content wise... featured page/image, wiki-related news, Mother-related news (HAHAHAHA. Mother and new news? yeah, right.), ongoing work... stuff like that? Hrm. Not sure.
WikiBound Editor-in-Chief

Offline Malake256

• Metroid Wiki Staff
  • It actually glows...
    • View Profile
    • Metroid Wiki Admin
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2010, 05:46:49 AM »
Was that really me you were talking to? Haha, well in any case, yes main pages do need help. I could make neat frames, then the wikis can do what they want with them, but they'll probably end up being very similar if i do.
My Weavile Brick Breaks Blisseys :)

Offline tacopill

• Lylat Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • csanimefan
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2010, 04:49:18 PM »
Well, i would appreciate it if the WikiBound Front Page didn't match the Lylat Wiki front page, which didn't match the AC wiki.....

hm....

Offline Axiomist

• Retired Staff
    • View Profile
    • WiKirby
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2010, 05:22:33 PM »
Well, i would appreciate it if the WikiBound Front Page didn't match the Lylat Wiki front page, which didn't match the AC wiki.....

hm....

Of course. I like unique main pages too. I mean look at WiKirby! no others look like that! And it was built off of the mainpage structure ZW used.

Offline Tina

• WikiBound Staff
    • View Profile
    • WikiBound
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2010, 08:08:38 PM »
Hope no one minds that I created a mockup of a possible main page idea for WikiBound... I know that Axiomist was sort of working on one, but I figured no one would mind if I made one too. ...Right? 8(

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Very basic atm. I just settled on a simple window design for now, along with basic additions. It should be fairly easy to code up (table abuse ftw), and I might give it a go later.

(Also I totally based the colors off of window color options in Mother 3. Mint/melon/peanut/banana! YEAH NERDINESS.)

Offline tacopill

• Lylat Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • csanimefan
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2010, 08:25:32 PM »
looks good in my opinion.  :eekdance:

Offline Seritinajii

• Paradichlorobenzene
  • Fire Emblem Wiki Staff
  • Grammar is important!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2010, 01:07:32 AM »
That looks pretty nice. =D

I think the FE main page looks a bit empty in terms of content, and maybe of color. Any suggestions?

Offline Axiomist

• Retired Staff
    • View Profile
    • WiKirby
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2010, 01:52:45 AM »
I'm liking the mockup, considering that I got nowhere with it I think we should use it. Is there a chalk font or is that handwriting?

Offline Tina

• WikiBound Staff
    • View Profile
    • WikiBound
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2010, 03:08:24 AM »
Alright, I'll start on coding the main page tomorrow. It shouldn't be too hard, just a lot of table abuse...

Also that's just my handwriting, yeah. XD;

Offline tacopill

• Lylat Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • csanimefan
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2010, 03:24:52 AM »
nice to know i am not the only one around with bad penmanship.

Offline leem01

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2010, 04:44:29 PM »
Haven't Posted here yet (I'm the EiC for AC wiki).

I know that _ is developing a style for the wiki, and we're sticking in a featured picture soon. Any other recommendations.

Offline Tina

• WikiBound Staff
    • View Profile
    • WikiBound
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2010, 12:39:37 AM »
Alright, I worked on the main page a little today. \o/ Here's the prototype!

I took out the black banner at the top, though. It stuck out a little too much for my tastes... another thing that's bothering me is that the boxes look a little on the floaty side. So I thought about putting a background color behind the tables, but... what color? Something light and subtle, I'm thinking. But I'm not sure what would go with it. Something complimentary (ex: light pale blue..??) or something matching the wiki's "main" colors (ex: gold). Anyone able to help with that kind of stuff? XD;;

EDIT: Aaaaaaactually disregard that. Adding a border seemed to join things together nicely and still look okay. Should I go ahead and attempt to fill it in with content (unless someone else wants to), or...?
« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 06:16:07 PM by Tina »

Offline Jake

• Nookipedia Staff
  • Nookipedia Director / Server Admin
    • View Profile
    • Nookipedia
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2010, 04:58:23 PM »
Animal Crossing Wiki, possibly needs even less. What they have is basic, yeah, but it flows nicely. I suppose a few apps on the page to give it a wiki feel would be good.
We're definitely looking to improve our home page. What we have up now actually has not changed since the beta before the wiki's release. I mean, who actually uses square corners anymore? :P

I'm not proficient in "wikiCode" just yet. I much prefer HTML and CSS. If there's anyone out there who would like to offer us a helping hand, please send me a quick PM and we'd be more than grateful for your services. We're really working our hardest to prepare ourselves for the day that we will be able to join NIWA, and having a great front page to match the others is a requirement in my mind.

Offline Axiomist

• Retired Staff
    • View Profile
    • WiKirby
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2010, 07:53:08 PM »
We're definitely looking to improve our home page. What we have up now actually has not changed since the beta before the wiki's release. I mean, who actually uses square corners anymore? :P

I'm not proficient in "wikiCode" just yet. I much prefer HTML and CSS. If there's anyone out there who would like to offer us a helping hand, please send me a quick PM and we'd be more than grateful for your services. We're really working our hardest to prepare ourselves for the day that we will be able to join NIWA, and having a great front page to match the others is a requirement in my mind.

Steve seems very interested in designing a skin for AC Wiki. In skype, he's been getting opinions from us on various AC textures. So I'm certain something awesome is in the works. And that app we discussed in the AC forums is so exciting. I'm not sure if I'll be at work all this weekend or just tonight, but I plan to look further into it and get the ball moving.

Have you guys met the great Moydow? He's a coding master imo. While working with him on the personalization templates at WiKirby, he managed to make it work before I could even finish a preview of tweaks in the sandbox! So if possible, I'd like to share the project with him. He, like me, may have never played an AC game, but might still be able to assist with core features like that.

Offline Jake

• Nookipedia Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nookipedia
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2010, 08:05:13 PM »

Steve seems very interested in designing a skin for AC Wiki. In skype, he's been getting opinions from us on various AC textures. So I'm certain something awesome is in the works. And that app we discussed in the AC forums is so exciting. I'm not sure if I'll be at work all this weekend or just tonight, but I plan to look further into it and get the ball moving.

Have you guys met the great Moydow? He's a coding master imo. While working with him on the personalization templates at WiKirby, he managed to make it work before I could even finish a preview of tweaks in the sandbox! So if possible, I'd like to share the project with him. He, like me, may have never played an AC game, but might still be able to assist with core features like that.

Yes, I've provided Steve with FTP details so he can upload any style files he needs to. I can't wait to see what he can come up with. :D

I haven't spoken with Moydow directly but I have seen his work. (Which is very impressive.) If he's willing to help, I'd be glad to give him any permissions he needs on the wiki. We're about halfway to the 200 article requirement, so I'm very excited to monitor the wiki's progress over the coming weeks. Any and all help is always appreciated. :)

Offline Moydow

• NIWA Coordinator
  • Forum Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Fire Emblem Wiki
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2010, 10:17:41 PM »
I'll certainly help out. I doubt that I'd need any added permissions, since I rarely need to edit MediaWiki pages or anything that needs admin rights. Only if you've some existing templates that I can use with some alterations, but you have protected, would I need the required permissions to edit those. And no, I've not played any of the games, but hopefully that won't be a major obstacle.
NIWA Coordinator

Offline Jake

• Nookipedia Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nookipedia
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2010, 11:32:40 PM »
And no, I've not played any of the games, but hopefully that won't be a major obstacle.
I don't think it would be, since we have other users who haven't played the game but still find ways to contribute. I assume you'll be helping with templates and coding more than content anyway. Feel free to PM me here anytime if you have any questions. I'm always happy to answer them. :)

Offline Moydow

• NIWA Coordinator
  • Forum Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Fire Emblem Wiki
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2010, 12:01:37 AM »
You assume correct :D I'll just need a basic idea of what you'd like done. It may be a good idea to wait for Steve to upload the skin, so we can work to blend the templates in with that.
NIWA Coordinator

Offline Jake

• Nookipedia Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nookipedia
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2010, 08:59:29 PM »
It may be a good idea to wait for Steve to upload the skin, so we can work to blend the templates in with that.
Sounds like a plan! ;D