Author Topic: Usage of Fanon  (Read 23804 times)

Offline Peanut64

• Pikmin Fanon Bureaucrat
  • Pikmin Fanon Staff
    • View Profile
    • Pikmin Fanon
Usage of Fanon
« on: October 22, 2010, 09:34:38 PM »
I understand many NIWA wikis frown upon Fanon in their real encyclopedias, but one's spirit must run free. Pikmin Fanon is undoubtedly the first Fanon Wiki to join NIWA. Once we all know Fanon Wikis are accepted here, don't you think setting up various Fanon wikis for existing topics, such as Mario, Zelda and Kirby. If we could utilize this, we could help stop Fanon Spam on Canon Wikis!

Offline Archaic

• Bulbagarden Webmaster
  • Forum Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bulbagarden
Re: Usage of Fanon
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2010, 01:26:12 AM »
We're all for the inclusion of more fanon wiki's. Previously, we tried to encourage Fantendo to join, and while their staff were all in favour of it, going as far as starting to setup an independent wiki and trying to move things over, their userbase didn't really give it a chance and rejected the idea.

Offline Axiomist

• Retired Staff
    • View Profile
    • WiKirby
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2010, 03:21:59 AM »
BTW, Wars Wiki has their AWRP. Which is the Advance Wars Role Play wiki.

Offline Peanut64

• Pikmin Fanon Staff
    • View Profile
    • Pikmin Fanon
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2010, 11:26:43 AM »
Ok. Thats good. Let's try to at least see a Mario Fanon or something in the future because Pikmin Fanon needs more Fanon "brothers".

Offline Metechar

• My fanmade Pokémon mascot.
  • Wow! What are all those heads?
    • View Profile
    • PokéFanon!
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2010, 02:36:17 PM »
When I saw the word "Fanon", I was like "Oh no...", but then I found out that Pikmin Fanon is awesome! Great fan made ideas, plus a little canon! I would welcome another fanon wiki into NIWA, but that's up to the staff.

Forgot my password, and I may not ever recover it. But you never know! JUST CLICK!

Offline Tucayo

• Super Mario Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • MarioWiki's Shroom
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2010, 03:15:13 PM »
For SMW fanon, we have Userpedia

Offline tacopill

• Lylat Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • csanimefan
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2010, 05:49:21 PM »

is that what that is? because i thought it was about the Wiki's Fanon, and not a Mario Fanon wiki.

Offline JoJo

• Wars Wiki Staff
  • Wars Wiki/Wars Central Webmaster
    • View Profile
    • Wars Central
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2010, 06:25:32 PM »
BTW, Wars Wiki has their AWRP. Which is the Advance Wars Role Play wiki.
To elaborate, WC has a two year old Advance Wars RP, which has it's own Wiki (AWRPedia) for all sorts of details. It's quite basic, but it more than serves the purpose it was created for.

Offline Tucayo

• Super Mario Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • MarioWiki's Shroom
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2010, 12:07:54 AM »

is that what that is? because i thought it was about the Wiki's Fanon, and not a Mario Fanon wiki.
Well, yeah. But Mario fanon can also go in there

Offline Peanut64

• Pikmin Fanon Staff
    • View Profile
    • Pikmin Fanon
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2010, 12:13:47 AM »
I think that a Mario Fanon Wiki should be made under mariowiki's domain. It is easier to access, and right now Pikmin Fanon sticks out like a sore thumb.

Offline tacopill

• Lylat Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • csanimefan
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2010, 12:19:21 AM »
make a Nintendo fanon independent wiki alliance? 

Offline KidIcarus

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2010, 12:33:01 AM »

I am in favor of this. It should run parallel to NIWA.

Offline SoujiroElric

• Robottle Fight!
    • View Profile
    • Medabots Wiki
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2010, 12:58:51 AM »
Pokémon has a lot of fanon, so much a wiki about it would be great. What about shipping and competitive battling, for example?

I'm just saying...

Offline Seritinajii

• Paradichlorobenzene
  • Fire Emblem Wiki Staff
  • Grammar is important!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2010, 01:27:03 AM »
Nice idea.

Also, @SoujiroElric, Bulbapedia covers a TON of shipping. Still, I guess it could be moved to another domain or something similar.

Offline Peanut64

• Pikmin Fanon Staff
    • View Profile
    • Pikmin Fanon
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2010, 01:34:10 AM »
Well... That sounds good.. But. Idk.

Offline KidIcarus

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2010, 02:01:18 AM »
Well, if we want it to run parallel to NIWA, wiki's must agree to it independent of NIWA's authority. Otherwise, it will always be viewed as under NIWA.

Offline Peanut64

• Pikmin Fanon Staff
    • View Profile
    • Pikmin Fanon
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2010, 02:47:45 AM »
Well, if we want it to run parallel to NIWA, wiki's must agree to it independent of NIWA's authority. Otherwise, it will always be viewed as under NIWA.

True. But I believe we should have seperate Fanon wikis. That way Pikmin Fanon isn't screwed AND people can view Fanon on the games they actually like. No one wants to see n00bish content on that one game that you don't like...

Offline KidIcarus

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2010, 02:59:20 AM »

True. But I believe we should have seperate Fanon wikis. That way Pikmin Fanon isn't screwed AND people can view Fanon on the games they actually like. No one wants to see n00bish content on that one game that you don't like...

I agree. When I said: "Well, if we want it to run parallel to NIWA", it was referring to an organization of wikis, not just one wiki.

All my pronouns may have made it unclear.

Offline Xizor

• Zelda Wiki Bureaucrat
  • Forum Administrator
  • Talk to me. :)
    • View Profile
    • Legend of Zelda.com
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2010, 07:30:46 AM »
Separate from NIWA? That sounds horrible. Why would we do that when we have previously said that NIWA needs to establish itself before we start helping other non-Nintendo franchises to create their own networks and alliances?

Fanon Wikis have their place in NIWA just as the Pikmin Fanon wiki does. NIWA was never billed as "Facts Only" because, let's face it: It's all fiction. I think that if a legitimate and well established and operated wiki on Zelda or Mario or Kirby or Star Fox fanon came around and wanted to join, and measured up to our standards, why not? We've let in Strategy Wiki, and they're not a franchise wiki - they're neither fanon nor are they canonical "Facts" about a series. Should we start a whole OTHER organization for Wikis about stuff like that?

I will always see our failure with Fantendo as the hallmark of what makes bureaucracy horrible. We do not need to separate everything into these neat little categories and label everything and put things in their own special confined little boxes. There needs to be this sense of unity, that after being called "Nintendo" we're all in this together. That's what unifies us.

I don't see a problem with start-up Fanon wikis. I agree that it would keep fanon off of our "facts only" wikis, and keeping these fanon Wikis inside of NIWA alongside their Canon counterparts would be better suited to that end.

Bureaucrat of

Offline KidIcarus

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2010, 02:11:09 PM »
Separate from NIWA? That sounds horrible. Why would we do that when we have previously said that NIWA needs to establish itself before we start helping other non-Nintendo franchises to create their own networks and alliances?

Fanon Wikis have their place in NIWA just as the Pikmin Fanon wiki does. NIWA was never billed as "Facts Only" because, let's face it: It's all fiction. I think that if a legitimate and well established and operated wiki on Zelda or Mario or Kirby or Star Fox fanon came around and wanted to join, and measured up to our standards, why not? We've let in Strategy Wiki, and they're not a franchise wiki - they're neither fanon nor are they canonical "Facts" about a series. Should we start a whole OTHER organization for Wikis about stuff like that?

I will always see our failure with Fantendo as the hallmark of what makes bureaucracy horrible. We do not need to separate everything into these neat little categories and label everything and put things in their own special confined little boxes. There needs to be this sense of unity, that after being called "Nintendo" we're all in this together. That's what unifies us.

I don't see a problem with start-up Fanon wikis. I agree that it would keep fanon off of our "facts only" wikis, and keeping these fanon Wikis inside of NIWA alongside their Canon counterparts would be better suited to that end.

Yes, you do bring up a good point. Keeping it together will bring us a sense of unit. That is something I completely overlooked.