Author Topic: Zelda Name Derivations  (Read 7365 times)

Offline R7308xx

• The poison in your drink... whoops.
  • New and, unfortunately, improved.
    • View Profile
Zelda Name Derivations
« on: October 31, 2010, 06:50:00 PM »
Anyone got any idea on where the names in Zelda come from? Some of them make sense, like Ramrock or Bombarassa, but some of them are way out there, like Gyorg or Ikana Stalfos.
I blame the economy.

Offline Metechar

• My fanmade Pokémon mascot.
  • Wow! What are all those heads?
    • View Profile
    • PokéFanon!
Re: Zelda Name Derivations
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2010, 07:22:40 PM »
Well, some of the prefixes and suffixes are made up, such as stal- and -fos(Wolfos,Stalfos,Stalhound,Stalchild) and some words are also made up. Like Deku and Boko mean in relation to plants, like Deku Scrubs are made of woods. Boko Babas and Deku Babas are carnivourus plants, Deku Sticks come from Babas, Bokoblins use Boko Sticks, which are Boko Baba stems. The suffix -blin might mean monster/goblin/creature...thing....enemy. Moblin, bokoblin, miniblin, Big Blin , and so on. Now some, I have no idea where they come from. Majora is based on a Japanese creature. Some are just regular names, like Zelda. But Zelda really means "luck" or something in some other language. Some names might be made up. The word "Poe" either is a reference to Edgar Allen Poe, who makes books with dark storylines, or just means plain "Ghost". For the bubbles, Nintendo must've just thought calling them "flying skulls" was too plain. "ReDead" also means "Zombie". And that's pretty much all I know about where the names come from. Some might just be shrouded in mystery for the heck of it.

Forgot my password, and I may not ever recover it. But you never know! JUST CLICK!

Offline mtn_otter

• Robot, Philosopher, Redneck, Cynic, Psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2010, 01:44:02 AM »
"Gerudo" seems to come from "Garuda", a Hindu/Buddhist deity that is either depicted as part human/part bird or as a bird(note the beak-like noses).

his is likely a coincidence, but "Ghoma" is very similar to Italian(and probably several other languages) "goma", or "eraser".

In Wind Waker, a fishman says that "chu-chu" is the sound you make when you kiss somebody.

"ReDead" is likely a pun on "undead".

"Zelda" is Yiddish for "lucky", which is ironic, when you consider that she is kidnapped in every single game she appears in(unless you count Wand of Gamelon).

"Link" is a reference to the fact the he is the link between the player and the game.

"Cucco" is an informal word for "insane", as well as being a sound a chicken makes and a bird in its own right.

"Lokomo" is a pun on either "locomotive" or "locomotion", both of which refer to trains.
Anjean-Engine
Gage-Gauge(possibly also "sage")
Carben-Carbon
Embrose-Embers
Rael-Rail
Byrne-Burn(possibly also iron)

With Malladus prefix "mal-" indicates that something is of a negative quality, and "Mallard" is the world's fastest steam train.

As a form of protest, I refuse to make a signature...

Offline R7308xx

• The poison in your drink... whoops.
  • New and, unfortunately, improved.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2010, 01:53:47 AM »
his is likely a coincidence, but "Ghoma" is very similar to Italian(and probably several other languages) "goma", or "eraser".
lolz Gohma's a woman.  :o
I blame the economy.

Offline mtn_otter

• Robot, Philosopher, Redneck, Cynic, Psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2010, 02:29:16 AM »
lolz Gohma's a woman.  :o
That's just a typo. I meant to say "This is likely a coincidence..." My keyboard tends to have random buttons stick for short periods of time, for some weird reason.
As a form of protest, I refuse to make a signature...