Author Topic: Our games in danger  (Read 7541 times)

Offline Gambler

• View Profile
Our games in danger
« on: December 14, 2010, 11:47:55 PM »
I would like to have your attention to discuss this topic:

http://www.gameinformer.com/blogs/members/b/sakabato24_blog/archive/2010/12/14/is-it-the-end-of-anime-and-manga-bill-156-passed.aspx

A new bill in Japan has been passed and it will affect Nintendo and some of their franchises. By the banner in the article the first affected might be Pokémon and even if Nintendo is a pretty tame company compared to their competence this might affect the quantity and theme of future games.

I hate poorly worded bans that base their decisions upon a council of people who will obviously be against just because they don't understand the culture.

Offline Maxite

• Icaruspedia Staff
  • Otaku Nut
    • View Profile
    • OtakuDeus
Re: Our games in danger
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2010, 01:44:48 AM »
Welcome to the wonderful world of discrimination. Many people suspect this was an "anti-otaku" law, so don't be surprised that it would adversely affect anime, manga, and video games.

However, the article is a repost of a Sankaku article, and Sankaku Complex is known for being highly sensationalist on matters such as these. My limited research just tells me that the "banned" video games will still be sold, just that they will be restricted to 18+ (so no sales to minors). However, many companies don't like their products being restricted as such, so expect more censorship to prevent them from being "banned".
« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 01:48:31 AM by Maxite »

Offline tacopill

• Lylat Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • csanimefan
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2010, 08:05:16 AM »
This is very sad indeed.....

Offline TurtwigA

• Wiki editor
  • Why must the space not come?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2010, 02:32:32 PM »
I like the fact that it specifically had a Pikachu as the image.

BUT THIS MOST LIKELY MEANS NO MORE GAME CORNERS IN POKéMON! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Please give me internets! So much less bulkier than those eggs.
tg.wikkii.com-My Touch! Generations Wiki
chibirobo.wikkii.com My Chibi-Robo! Wiki

Help spread the word about the word smorent! Definition: [smohrent] adj. fluffy. In a sentence: that bear is very smorent.

Offline Peanut64

• Pikmin Fanon Bureaucrat
  • Pikmin Fanon Staff
    • View Profile
    • Pikmin Fanon
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2010, 05:20:00 PM »
I hope our games from Nintendo are in the clear....... ;0 I would have sadness all over. :/ Goodbye, clever Japanese video games.

Offline Maxite

• Icaruspedia Staff
  • Otaku Nut
    • View Profile
    • OtakuDeus
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2010, 06:02:49 PM »
Nintendo will likely be fine. At worst, they'll implement stronger content policies on their games to avoid getting affected by this, otherwise we won't notice any real change.
What will be heavily affected will be the anime, manga, and Rated M or above video games.

Offline KidIcarus

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2013, 09:48:26 PM »
I would actually prefer a pokemon game without violence. I think it would be fun to play a game with them like they were pets and farm animals ( a la harvest moon)