Author Topic: Robopedia  (Read 29934 times)

Offline Axiomist

• Retired Staff
    • View Profile
    • WiKirby
Re: Robopedia
« Reply #40 on: November 24, 2010, 01:50:05 AM »
The domain prices can be viewed at Godaddy and the like, generally $15 per year. But the hosting comes in various plans, $4 a month for a shared host plan and fewer access rights than other plans. WiKirby has now grown enough to actually break shared hosting, so any startup could make it that far on a shared plan. The plan we are moving to next week, VPS, will cost $50 a month. But we are getting a discount, WHM rights, the move will be done for free, and we have been given a grace period to continue operating on the shared machine until the move takes place, without the limits that were imposed on us.

Bear in mind, the above prices don't include any initial fees that come with it.

Offline tacopill

• Lylat Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • csanimefan
« Reply #41 on: November 24, 2010, 01:54:32 AM »
to add to the above, Check this page out.

Offline Koroku

• Golden Sun Universe Staff
  • Wikimoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 24, 2010, 06:29:41 AM »
Right.  Money.  That part didn't occur to me.  In that case, it seems logical to host only wikis that get enough traffic for them to be "profitable", so to speak.  But it also seems logical that the bigger NIWA gets, the more traffic it will attract, and more likely it will be that a wiki will be worth the money.  We just have to keep everything in balance, and make sure we deal with things appropriately as they come.
Good luck turning a wiki profitable, in any respect.

Offline TurtwigA

• Wiki editor
  • Why must the space not come?
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 24, 2010, 02:18:52 PM »
Well if a wiki for one of those smaller series were made, we wouldn't reject it, but in the same breath we're saying you might want to reconsider going to make it just for NIWA's sake. What will happen when BrainTrainingWiki interest dies out, the owner tires of losing money on it, and no one else wants to pay to save it?

Exactly. I just realized that this (besides the whole Jimmy Wales thing) is why Wikia was so popular: The whole adoption sequence. If a wiki dies, you can request administrative powers to revive it.

to add to the above, Check this page out.
So, in that link .net, .com, or .org are the cheapest domains if you go with the first host. 7.77 a year seems like a pretty good price.

Please give me internets! So much less bulkier than those eggs.
tg.wikkii.com-My Touch! Generations Wiki
chibirobo.wikkii.com My Chibi-Robo! Wiki

Help spread the word about the word smorent! Definition: [smohrent] adj. fluffy. In a sentence: that bear is very smorent.

Offline BrandedOne

• Fire Emblem Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 24, 2010, 03:20:56 PM »
Right.  Money.  That part didn't occur to me.  In that case, it seems logical to host only wikis that get enough traffic for them to be "profitable", so to speak.  But it also seems logical that the bigger NIWA gets, the more traffic it will attract, and more likely it will be that a wiki will be worth the money.  We just have to keep everything in balance, and make sure we deal with things appropriately as they come.
Good luck turning a wiki profitable, in any respect.
I knew that wasn't the word I was looking for, which is why I put it in quotes.  I meant that a wiki should be worth the money being paid for it.  I wasn't anticipating anyone making a profit on a wiki, just making good use of the money they put into it.

Offline KidIcarus

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 03, 2015, 04:12:22 PM »
I wonder if they're the new member....