Author Topic: The Nintendo Wiki  (Read 9810 times)

Offline RAP

• Forum Administrator
  • Nintendo Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
The Nintendo Wiki
« on: December 12, 2010, 09:29:31 PM »
Hello readers - I'm RAP, the creator of Nintendo Wiki (usually called "N Wiki"). I originate from the Super Mario Wiki as a former Sysop when NIWA was first being developed. The Nintendo Wiki covers anything Nintendo-related - primarily covering anything the company has done, along with its employees, their thoughts, and actions. Its more than just the games they produced at first glance.

The idea came up to me earlier this year when I was off the computer, having other things to do during the day. It was during the time NIWA was formed. I've been thinking of the three wikis since they formed an alliance, and seeing that there are series-less articles about Nintendo consoles, along with the people who work for Nintendo such as Shigeru Miyamoto, I thought - 'Why not put it into good use and have a wiki based on anything Nintendo-related'? Another primary purpose is that the wiki would let the rest of the world know the complete info about Nintendo instead of relying on Wikipedia for the info. People who play some of the most popular franchises should know a decent amount of info about the company. Think about it, casual people think Nintendo as a friendly company who makes "kiddie games" - but more willing readers, and the people who know Nintendo very well will know the true side of Nintendo between back then, and now.

With the idea gathering positive reception by the general staff conscious, I started gathering Nintendo links/hyperlinks, and started learning more about Nintendo by reading over time. During that period, I've been waiting and asking when the N Wiki website is going to be set up. Eventually, after waiting somewhat patiently, Archaic finally told me it's open!

At the time he told me that, I was the only one doing some of the work. It felt odd working by myself when other people were busy with their own respective wikis. Then with the assistance of some of the notable NIWA staff members such as TTE (who assisted me at an earlier time), and Tacopill (who came at a later time - also assisting me) - content was made, templates were created, and the stuff they did increased the development of the wiki as time goes. There were some wiki activity droughts here and there during the "behind the scenes" period, but relief was made thanks to these two members. In addition, credit to dkpat for making this nice, technical skin along with the logo he finalized from my concept drawing.

Nintendo Wiki launches a new era that offers unbiased information concerning Nintendo-all in one central encyclopedia. The wiki's primary focus is items that relate directly to Nintendo as a company: Its products, its people, and its actions. N Wiki also shall have a secondary focus on items that indirectly relate to Nintendo, such as notable third parties and contractors, as well as notable Nintendo-related products that they have produced. I honor the many Nintendo fan sites and communities whether they are successful or struggling for life, as well as those who have dematerialized to simple memories.

With that said, there's going to be more to come in the future, and I need your help to get there. You can help by visiting the wiki, and make a contribution by providing info, organizing info, or uploading images.
http://niwanetwork.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

Thank you for those who are reading this post. Feel free to make a comment, suggestion, or question here.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 11:47:03 PM by RAP »

Offline Gambler

• View Profile
Re: The Nintendo Wiki
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2010, 07:08:47 PM »
Nice effort! I'll be glad to help, I already started.

I always wanted to do something like this too, but I lacked the how, when and where, good to see someone is doing it!

Offline Maxite

• Icaruspedia Staff
  • Otaku Nut
    • View Profile
    • OtakuDeus
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2010, 08:29:52 PM »
In order to start on a project like this, you need lots of time, patience, a willingness to learn, and some friends who'll support you.

Still, it's nice to see a Nintendo-oriented wiki. I just wish that there was a more generalized Nintendo games wiki (although I hear Gamehiker offers that).

Offline tacopill

• Lylat Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • csanimefan
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2010, 05:16:12 AM »

I always wanted to do something like this too, but I lacked the how, when and where, good to see someone is doing it!

Thank you. I really like the contributions you have been making and especially the console navbox you made.

Offline Gambler

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2010, 06:34:23 AM »

Thank you. I really like the contributions you have been making and especially the console navbox you made.

No, thank you! I really liked your idea of tabs in a template, I only changed it a little to fit the consoles. After all those are the spine of the company so they need a good template. I'm asking a person at deviantart if she can lend us a group of sprites I found of the consoles to illustrate it a bit so look forward to that.

Offline tacopill

• Lylat Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • csanimefan
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2010, 08:14:40 AM »

No, thank you! I really liked your idea of tabs in a template, I only changed it a little to fit the consoles. After all those are the spine of the company so they need a good template. I'm asking a person at deviantart if she can lend us a group of sprites I found of the consoles to illustrate it a bit so look forward to that.

Tacopill blushes at the first part of the sentence, and then nods in agreement up to the end of the second sentence

Tacopill then says "Sweet" to the third sentence.

Sorry for the third-person talk, but i thought it would convey my response better in this situation.