Author Topic: Ads in a wiki  (Read 8548 times)

Offline Ahmlink

• View Profile
Ads in a wiki
« on: February 06, 2011, 04:43:25 AM »
Hello NIWA, does anyone know what are the most reliable, safe and performant extensionS (or methods) for implementing Adsense ads and in-text ads (like Kontera or infolinks)?
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 04:47:16 AM by Ahmlink »

Offline Axiomist

• Retired Staff
    • View Profile
    • WiKirby
Re: Ads in a wiki
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2011, 05:48:29 AM »
Well any of us currently using an ad account could send you a referral. Which ad account you choose, if you use the referral, the wiki that you got it from will get a bonus. :) Pm me if you want Kontera, WiKirby would need to make a lot of referrals to run at cost.

Offline Jake

• Nookipedia Staff
  • Nookipedia Director / Server Admin
    • View Profile
    • Nookipedia
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2011, 05:17:59 PM »
I don't know that there's an easy way to implement ads effectively. There is an extension that adds one ad to the sidebar on monobook wikis, but other than that I can't find any others. I think most NIWA wikis (including Nookipedia) just program the ad right into the skin files.

Offline tacopill

• Lylat Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • csanimefan
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2011, 05:46:53 PM »
I don't know that there's an easy way to implement ads effectively. There is an extension that adds one ad to the sidebar on monobook wikis, but other than that I can't find any others. I think most NIWA wikis (including Nookipedia) just program the ad right into the skin files.

that makes sense..... I'd like to see the skin files and what modifications can be done.

Offline Archaic

• Bulbagarden Webmaster
  • Forum Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bulbagarden
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2011, 11:15:10 PM »
That's how Bulbapedia does it, we just add the ad code directly to the style files.

Offline JoJo

• Wars Wiki Staff
  • Wars Wiki/Wars Central Webmaster
    • View Profile
    • Wars Central
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2011, 02:33:21 PM »
Hello NIWA, does anyone know what are the most reliable, safe and performant extensionS (or methods) for implementing Adsense ads and in-text ads (like Kontera or infolinks)?

I use AdSense at Wars Wiki, and used this extension to implement a "skyscraper" banner to all Wiki pages. I've never had a problem with it, just ensure that you set up the correct sort of banner ad set for your Wiki... like I said, I used the skyscraper; as you can see it fits quite neatly around the Wiki layout, without being intrusive. It must be easy to implement too, since I've never had issue with it. :v

Offline tacopill

• Lylat Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • csanimefan
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2011, 01:02:26 AM »

I use AdSense at Wars Wiki, and used this extension to implement a "skyscraper" banner to all Wiki pages. I've never had a problem with it, just ensure that you set up the correct sort of banner ad set for your Wiki... like I said, I used the skyscraper; as you can see it fits quite neatly around the Wiki layout, without being intrusive. It must be easy to implement too, since I've never had issue with it. :v

Cool.

I booked-marked the extension, in the case i use it later on.