Poll

How do you generate userboxes?

HTML Only
Wikicode only - no templates
a template found only on one wiki
Wikipedia's userbox template
Any Technique Is Fine

Author Topic: NIWA Userbox  (Read 13562 times)

Offline tacopill

• Lylat Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • csanimefan
NIWA Userbox
« on: May 27, 2010, 04:22:43 AM »
I'm putting together niwa-related wiki userboxes for use on the niwa wikis. From my experiances looking around wikipedia and the niwa wikis, there seems to be 4 different options when it comes to userboxes: html only, wiki-code only (no templates), a template specific to the wiki. Along with each option, i put the related code of the first userbox i put together for this: にわ NIWA  "This user supports the NIWA Manifesto!"

If you wish to see the box on a wiki, wish to export it for use in your wiki, etc. Then please check this link.

If you wish to join me in making userboxes, or wish to take one of mine and improve it, then please make sure to include the 4 header's found bellow.

O, yeah. i put a poll on the top to see which method is the favorite amongst our community. Please vote!

html/css only
to help ease the transitions between wiki's, here is the non-wiki version of the userbox, in the case there are relavent differences on the html/css level.
Code: [Select]
<div style="float:left; border:1px solid #ff0000; margin:1px;" class="wikipediauserbox">
<table cellspacing="0" style="width:238px; background:;">
<tr>
<td style="width:px; height:px; background:#ff0000; text-align:center; font-size:pt; color:; padding:; line-height:;&nbsp;; vertical-align: middle;"><b>にわ NIWA</b>
</td><td style="text-align:left; font-size:pt; padding:; line-height:; color:;&nbsp;; vertical-align: middle;"> This user supports the <a href="http://www.niwanetwork.org/forums/index.php?topic=98.0" class="external text" title="http://www.niwanetwork.org/forums/index.php?topic=98.0" rel="nofollow">NIWA Manifesto</a>!
</td></tr></table></div>

wikicode only (no templates)
Some wiki's do not like to embed templates in other templates, so here is the user box - template free!
<div style="float:left; border:1px solid #ff0000; margin:1px;" class="wikipediauserbox">
{| cellspacing="0" style="width:238px; background:;"
| style="width:px; height:px; background:#ff0000; text-align:center; font-size:pt; color:; padding:; line-height:; ; vertical-align: middle;" |'''にわ NIWA'''
| style="text-align:left; font-size:pt; padding:; line-height:; color:; ; vertical-align: middle;" | This user supports the [http://www.niwanetwork.org/forums/index.php?topic=98.0 NIWA Manifesto]!
|}</div>

specific templates related to your wiki
If you post under this area, please specify which wiki the template if for (so, if the the code you list uses Mario wiki's userbox template, them make sure you tell us this.

uses the wikipedia template
For those of you who like the userbox template found on wikipedia.
{{userbox
| float    = left
| border-c = #ff0000
| border-s = 1
| id       = にわ NIWA
| id-c     = #ff0000
| info     = This user supports the [http://www.niwanetwork.org/forums/index.php?topic=98.0 NIWA Manifesto]!
| nocat    = {{{nocat|}}}<!--when 'true', doesn't categorize the user-->
| usercategory  = This user supports the NIWA Manifesto
}}

If you are quoting this in order to get the headers, simply delete everything above the horizontal line, and you have a nice blank forum to fill-in with you code.....
html/css only
to help ease the transitions between wiki's, here is the non-wiki version of the userbox, in the case there are relavent differences on the html/css level.

Some wiki's do not like to embed templates in other templates, so here is the user box - template free!

If you post under this area, please specify which wiki the template if for (so, if the the code you list uses Mario wiki's userbox template, them make sure you tell us this.

« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 12:15:48 PM by tacopill »

Offline Member#36

• Striving For A Perfect NIWA Unit
  • Retired Staff
  • Kirby, My Favorite Flavor
    • View Profile
Re: NIWA Userbox
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2010, 06:55:04 PM »
I don't make many templates... just wait until Justin/Neo posts here. :P

I think a NIWA userbox is a wonderful idea, reguardless of how it may of been made.  Good work, Tacopill!

Offline tacopill

• Lylat Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • csanimefan
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2010, 08:56:47 PM »
I don't make many templates... just wait until Justin/Neo posts here. :P
Sounds good.

I think a NIWA userbox is a wonderful idea, reguardless of how it may of been made.  Good work, Tacopill!

Thank you very much. Should i add an option to the poll, "All are good"?  ::)

------------------------------------------
Next up it is showing membership on the forums. this asks for one parameter, "uid", which the userbox uses to generate a link to that user's profile. If not give, then defaults to my number in order to make sure it doesn't generate a broken link, to use #{{{uid}}}.

link to userbox template and it in action

html/css only
<div style="float:left; border:1px solid #00BA85; margin:1px;" class="wikipediauserbox">
<table cellspacing="0" style="width:238px; background:;">
<tr>
<td style="width:px; height:px; background:#75C482; text-align:center; font-size:pt; color:; padding:; line-height:;&nbsp;; vertical-align: middle;"><b>?? NIWA</b>
</td><td style="text-align:left; font-size:pt; padding:; line-height:; color:;&nbsp;; vertical-align: middle;"> This user is a <a href="http://www.niwanetwork.org/forums/index.php?action=profile;u=119" class="external text" title="http://www.niwanetwork.org/forums/index.php?action=profile;u=119" rel="nofollow">User</a> on the <a href="http://www.niwanetwork.org/forums/index.php" class="external text" title="http://www.niwanetwork.org/forums/index.php" rel="nofollow">NIWA Forums</a>
</td></tr></table></div>

<div style="float:left; border:1px solid #00BA85; margin:1px;" class="wikipediauserbox">
{| cellspacing="0" style="width:238px; background:;"
| style="width:px; height:px; background:#75C482; text-align:center; font-size:pt; color:; padding:; line-height:; ; vertical-align: middle;" |'''?? NIWA'''
| style="text-align:left; font-size:pt; padding:; line-height:; color:; ; vertical-align: middle;" | This user is a [http://www.niwanetwork.org/forums/index.php?action=profile;u=119 User] on the [http://www.niwanetwork.org/forums/index.php NIWA Forums]
|}</div>

{{userbox
| float    = left<!--left|right|none (default = left)-->
| border-c = #00BA85<!--border color (default = id-c)-->
| border-s = 1<!--border width in pixels (default = 1)-->
| id       = ?? NIWA<!--id text or image-->
| id-c     = #75C482<!--id background color-->
| info     = This user is a [http://www.niwanetwork.org/forums/index.php?action=profile;u={{{uid|119}}} User] on the [http://www.niwanetwork.org/forums/index.php NIWA Forums]<!--info text-->
| nocat    = {{{nocat|}}}<!--when 'true', doesn't categorize the user-->
| usercategory  = This user is a NIWA Forum member<!--user category (optional)-->
}}<noinclude>{{doc}}</noinclude>

Offline Member#36

• Striving For A Perfect NIWA Unit
  • Retired Staff
  • Kirby, My Favorite Flavor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2010, 09:04:19 PM »
 I don't think you have the forum permissions to edit a poll once it has been made... but I could gladly do it for you. :)

Edit: Done
« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 09:06:44 PM by Maximum Pink »

Offline tacopill

• Lylat Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • csanimefan
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2010, 01:06:16 AM »
thank you for that.

Offline Tucayo

• Super Mario Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • MarioWiki's Shroom
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2010, 01:22:39 AM »
I would help you with teh MW version, but I am not expereinced with userboxes

Offline tacopill

• Lylat Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • csanimefan
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2010, 03:07:15 PM »
I would help you with teh MW version, but I am not expereinced with userboxes

user boxes are pretty simple, if you know the html/wiki code behind them or if your wiki has a template for them. This is basically the set up:

|----------------------------------------------------|
|                ID Cell    |                 Text Cell              |
|----------------------------------------------------|

A Userbox is a table with 2 cells:
  • ID - a code representing subject matter of the userbox. For example EN-1: i have a conversational level of the English.
  • Text - text on the subject matter of the userbox

Aside form the distinction above, the rest is usual table, row and cell styling information:
* does the box have a border? if so what color, size and style?
* does the id-cell have a background color?   

Each user box can also have individual features, such as:
* does the text in the text-cell have a special color?
* are there any links you wish to include in the text?

For most userboxes, I recommend using a solid-color background for the id-cell, have a same color as the border or the box, and have black text against a white background for the text in a text cell; but you may change this as your needs change, and as the specific box requires.

If you put a specific user-box as a template, you can also use it have parameters (like a userid #) and auto-categorize any user who puts the userbox on their page. 
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 05:55:19 PM by tacopill »

Offline Tucayo

• Super Mario Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • MarioWiki's Shroom
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2010, 02:30:36 AM »
I normally copy the coding and tamper it :D

Offline tacopill

• Lylat Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • csanimefan
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2010, 02:52:03 AM »
I normally copy the coding and tamper it :D

Well, i figured since i don't how your other userboxes work on the wiki(s) where you were aiming to use this for (if you were, that is), i went with a general description of how they work, how they are designed, etc.

Offline Moydow

• NIWA Coordinator
  • Forum Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Fire Emblem Wiki
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2010, 07:32:05 PM »
Bit of a bump for this one...

On this page, I made a "NIWA supporter" userbox, using the WiKirby {{userbox}} template. I tried to replicate the forum's skin as closely as possible for the basic colours. What do you think?
NIWA Coordinator

Offline tacopill

• Lylat Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • csanimefan
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2010, 07:40:45 PM »
looks very good.  8).

Out of curiosity, does WiKirby make each userbox their own template?

Offline Moydow

• NIWA Coordinator
  • Forum Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Fire Emblem Wiki
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2010, 07:58:02 PM »
I think a few users make them as templates, and others post the coding on that page.

If anyone would like to import the box, this is the required coding:
<div style="float:left; border:3px solid red; margin:1px;">
{| cellspacing="0" style="width:238px; background:#EEE;"
| style="width:45px; height:45px; background:red; text-align:center; font-size:14}pt; color:black;" | '''[[File:Niwa.png|75px]]'''
| style="font-size:8pt; padding:4pt; line-height:1.25em; color:black;" | This user proudly supports the '''<span class="plainlinks">[http://www.niwanetwork.org <span style="color:red"><u>Nintendo Independent Wiki Alliance</u></span>]</span>'''!
|}</div>
File:Niwa.png will probably need to be edited for each wiki, but otherwise, the code is relatively universal.
NIWA Coordinator

Offline Axiomist

• Retired Staff
    • View Profile
    • WiKirby
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2010, 08:55:36 PM »
I have no idea why people haven't made all of those a userbox. Although I am interested in see where the method leads. I'll be adding that NIWA userbox and putting that Kirby EAT IT vid next time I do userpage work. :P

Offline tacopill

• Lylat Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • csanimefan
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2010, 10:37:10 PM »
I have no idea why people haven't made all of those a userbox. Although I am interested in see where the method leads. I'll be adding that NIWA userbox and putting that Kirby EAT IT vid next time I do userpage work. :P

Not that i claim any ability when it comes to language.....but i am not sure what that says.....

Offline KidIcarus

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2015, 03:19:38 PM »
I usually don't... LOL!