• Welcome to NIWA Community Forums.

Improving NIWA

Started by Xizor, December 14, 2010, 10:52:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tappy

There have only been 72 queries this month.
Webmaster of Hyrule.net (a mastermind of ZeldaWiki.org)

Greenpickle

Well, that's the error I got.  Ask Google; I take it they have some sort of feedback ticket system?

Jake

I think we really need to reopen discussion of using a different (self hosted) search engine. 100 searches per day could become a problem during some months with heavy traffic. Also, as others have pointed out, Google isn't prioritizing the smaller wikis that have better information for some searches. This leads to our uses not getting the best information possible. Being able to control how searches are handled is really important if we want to deliver the best possible hub site experience.

There are some great open source search engines that would allow us to do this relatively quickly, and for free.

(Edited to reflect mistake. Thanks Greenpickle!)

Greenpickle

It was 100 per day, but I still agree.

Xizor

Well, I guess that's that, then.

Bureaucrat of

SnorlaxMonster

The search bar seems to be working again, but I do agree that a locally hosted one would be better.

Naesala

Weren't we gonna have a news feed on the home page dealing with anything from all the series we (currently) have wikis for?

tacopill

Quote from: Naesala on April 12, 2011, 12:05:31 AM
Weren't we gonna have a news feed on the home page dealing with anything from all the series we (currently) have wikis for?

I am currently seeing if i can revive such talks on the staff side.

Xizor

That has indeed been a discussion, but has yet to get anywhere because of disagreements on exact implementation. Hopefully we'll get something created soon that is functional and not overwhelming.

Bureaucrat of

tacopill

Quote from: Xizor on April 17, 2011, 01:04:25 AM
That has indeed been a discussion, but has yet to get anywhere because of disagreements on exact implementation. Hopefully we'll get something created soon that is functional and not overwhelming.

agreed! I look forward to the final result.

Naesala

The Metroid Wiki link is broken!

Jake

Quote from: Naesala on December 08, 2011, 01:50:00 AM
The Metroid Wiki link is broken!
The link isn't broken. The site appears to be having some trouble right now.

Greenpickle

The one on the hub works, but the one here (bar at the top) doesn't.

Jake

Quote from: Greenpickle on December 08, 2011, 09:01:21 PM
The one on the hub works, but the one here (bar at the top) doesn't.
Oops, I didn't check the hub too. My mistake Naesala.  :-[

An admin can probably fix that once one reads this thread.

Greenpickle

Well, I have FTP access; I just don't know which file the bar's in.

Tappy

Webmaster of Hyrule.net (a mastermind of ZeldaWiki.org)

KidIcarus

How about a logo redesign? The logo doens't create a lasting impression for people because most people don't know what it is. For people not aware of NIWA, they wouldn't even know it's about Nintendo unless the took their time to quint their eyes and read the fine print.

Questions, comment, concerns, dreams, feelings, reactions?

dkpat

Quote from: KidIcarus on February 25, 2013, 01:01:27 AM
How about a logo redesign? The logo doens't create a lasting impression for people because most people don't know what it is. For people not aware of NIWA, they wouldn't even know it's about Nintendo unless the took their time to quint their eyes and read the fine print.

Questions, comment, concerns, dreams, feelings, reactions?

I don't feel a need.  It's not like our "Branding" needs to be improved or anything.

KidIcarus

Maybe it doesn't need to be improved, but I think it doesn't hurt.