• Welcome to NIWA Community Forums.

WikiBound has moved!

Started by Tina, December 07, 2010, 02:03:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TurtwigA

So apparently wikibound.info is now replaced by the hosting message. Was that intended?

Please give me internets! So much less bulkier than those eggs.
tg.wikkii.com-My Touch! Generations Wiki
chibirobo.wikkii.com My Chibi-Robo! Wiki

Help spread the word about the word smorent! Definition: [smohrent] adj. fluffy. In a sentence: that bear is very smorent.

Maxite

No, that wasn't intentional. Modifying some changes I made now, which hopefully will work this time.

Update: After a quick look, it is apparent to me that my actions alone wouldn't be sufficient to fix the problem, so I'm rolling it back to older settings so that it isn't constantly displaying that stupid page.

Jake

I'd like to help you guys get this sorted out. It goes without saying that the more simple a domain is, the easier it will be for people to remember it and come back. It's for that reason that a lot of users on my wiki are in support of a change from 'animalcrossingwiki.me' to 'nookipedia.com', named after one of the most notable characters in the game. (And yes, I own the domain. Domain squatters - better luck elsewhere. :P)

Maxite - Do you have the ability to change the nameservers of the domain? That's the only thing you'll need to do on your end. The rest is up to the host on zelda-temple. :)

Maxite

That's the problem. I changed the nameservers to what I was told, and now... nothing.

tacopill

yeah, some timing problems have been happening on my end.

I mainly talk to our host on skype, and when she is on, i am busy with family stuff; and when i am on, she is away.

But we will get it fixed up, and have wikibound.info as our main domain as soon as we can.

Maxite

And I'm not on when you and her are on either.

tacopill

Quote from: Maxite on December 10, 2010, 05:25:02 AM
And I'm not on when you and her are on either.

:'(..... This three-person website thing is hard..... but we will get it done!

R7308xx

Don't ask me, I'm just a simple teenager with a simple AV addiction!
I blame the economy.

immewnity

Well, now I can't register. D:

I'm getting no reCaptcha with "Input error: Invalid referer" instead (with the misspelling).

Maxite

Registration is working just fine for me. Try resetting your cache. Also, make sure that for the time being that you're using http://wikibound.zelda-temple.net for accessing the site.

Jake

I should've mentioned earlier that you shouldn't change the nameservers until the host is ready. That white screen you saw earlier was zelda-temple's server rejecting your request and saying there is no site with that domain on the server. :P

I apologize for leaving that out. For now the domain redirect should be fine until the host is ready.

dantman

Might as well note it. .com has been considered a sort of default for awhile... if you type "wikibound" or whatever into a browser the browser will usually look for the .com before trying any other top level domains. I also remember something about .info domains historically being abused very heavily by squatters or something and as a result some directories or search engines placing it in bad standing, I'm not sure how much that's settled down at this point.

tacopill

Quote from: tacopill on December 07, 2010, 04:23:51 AM
Quote from: Seritinajii on December 07, 2010, 04:12:19 AM
Isn't .com specifically for commercial purposes or something like that?

Technically, yes. A .com site is suppose to be for commercial websites. However, until about recently, .com was pretty much the every website you went to, commercial or not.

the other suffixes (.org for non-governmental organizations, .gov for government sites, .k12.* for public schools, etc.) are becoming more popular, and more and more websites are using a "proper" suffix.

.com is considered default, which is why i am against using it. I want to encourage people using domain suffixes properly, and see more places use .info.

Jake

As Axiomist said earlier, the creation of a .wiki TLD would be ideal. I think that .info is as close as we can get to a relevant domain, even if the extension suffers from a history of abuse.

TurtwigA

But that probably get some squatters, because apparently wikis have higher Alexa ranks.

Please give me internets! So much less bulkier than those eggs.
tg.wikkii.com-My Touch! Generations Wiki
chibirobo.wikkii.com My Chibi-Robo! Wiki

Help spread the word about the word smorent! Definition: [smohrent] adj. fluffy. In a sentence: that bear is very smorent.

Maxite

If someone has $100,000 in capital, we could make our own .wiki TLD (or so I remember reading a while back, dunno if it's been implemented yet).

As far as .com being default and .info being historically spammed: Yes, I was aware of that when I bought the domain. However, we are running a legit site so nobody should be getting their stockings all tied up in a knot about us running a "scam site".

Quit worrying so much about aesthetics. It's not broken (at least not the TLD), so there's no need to fix it.

immewnity

Quote from: Maxite on December 10, 2010, 11:18:44 PM
Registration is working just fine for me. Try resetting your cache. Also, make sure that for the time being that you're using http://wikibound.zelda-temple.net for accessing the site.

I've reset my cache and am using the correct domain. I think the reCaptcha is still attached to the old domain.

tacopill

Quote from: immewnity on December 11, 2010, 03:53:29 AM
Quote from: Maxite on December 10, 2010, 11:18:44 PM

I've reset my cache and am using the correct domain. I think the reCaptcha is still attached to the old domain.

whoops... completely forgot about that....

I've reset the reCaptch for the new domain. Please Tell me if you are successful in signing up.

Maxite

Also, to quickly announce this before tacopill beats me to the punch: The server-side updates are going through right now. Wikibound.info should be up in one to two days (barring any further difficulties)

Jake

Quote from: Maxite on December 11, 2010, 04:47:28 AM
Also, to quickly announce this before tacopill beats me to the punch: The server-side updates are going through right now. Wikibound.info should be up in one to two days (barring any further difficulties)
Actually, it seems to be working right now! I'll update my interwiki table! :)