• Welcome to NIWA Community Forums.

New Nintendo series

Started by TurtwigA, November 25, 2010, 12:07:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greenpickle

^Advance Wars?  Never played any, so I don't know for sure, but from what I've heard, those games are strategy/war games.

Quote from: tacopill on November 27, 2010, 04:26:20 PM
Metroid Prime is a First-Person Shooter, but in definition, not necessarily in player-expectations. Most FPS's are much more violent than Nintendo would be interested in persueing.
Violence is hardly what sets Prime apart from FPSs.  (What kind of definition of 'violent' is this, anyway?  Metroid is half about killing stuff.)

Tina

Quote from: mtn_otter on November 28, 2010, 02:07:17 AM
It probably won't happen, but I'd like to see what Nintendo would do with a military strategy-type game. Something along the lines of Civilization or Age of Empires, but in a Nintendo-ish style.

Strategy games... Fire Emblem and Advance Wars say hi? :P
WikiBound Editor-in-Chief

KidIcarus

Quote from: RamblinEvilMushroom on November 27, 2010, 07:16:06 AM
I've got one thing Nintendo shouldn't make: a first person shooter.

You never know. Back when Rare was a second-party developer for Nintendo, they created one of the most critically-acclaimed first-person shooters of all time - Golden Eye 007.

mtn_otter

Metroid Prime is a First-Person Shooter, but in definition, not necessarily in player-expectations. Most FPS's are much more violent than Nintendo would be interested in persueing.
Violence is hardly what sets Prime apart from FPSs.  (What kind of definition of 'violent' is this, anyway?  Metroid is half about killing stuff.)
[/quote]

I'm fairly sure he meant to say "graphic". And, if he did, he's right. Prime doesn't have nearly as much blood/gore as other FPSs. And yes, half of it is about killing things. But it's the other half that make the difference. Most "real" FPSs revolve almost entirely around shooting random people in the head, and don't even have the puzzle elements Prime.
As a form of protest, I refuse to make a signature...

tacopill

Quote from: Greenpickle on November 28, 2010, 03:24:55 PM
^Advance Wars?  Never played any, so I don't know for sure, but from what I've heard, those games are strategy/war games.

Um.. yes, they have turn-based strategy, but no Real Time Strategy games.

Greenpickle

Quote from: mtn_otter on November 29, 2010, 03:04:53 AMPrime doesn't have nearly as much blood/gore as other FPSs.
But it's not a defining characteristic of FPSs.  What about World of Padman/loads of Quake-like FPSs (Warsow, Nexuiz)?  They're undoubtedly FPSs, but no graphic violence.  GoldenEye didn't have blood, even (IIRC, though Perfect Dark did; maybe that's what made it an 18 and GE a 15).

Quote from: mtn_otter on November 29, 2010, 03:04:53 AMAnd yes, half of it is about killing things. But it's the other half that make the difference. Most "real" FPSs revolve almost entirely around shooting random people in the head, and don't even have the puzzle elements Prime.
Yeah, that's what I was saying.  I think the lack of focus on shooting accuracy also plays a large part: even combat is largely strategy-based (beam choice and stuff) over reactions and aiming (and so Corruption came closer, if not by much, to being an FPS).

KidIcarus

Yeah, but gameplay-wise GoldenEye is the typical FPS.

Solar Dragon

I would like a crossover game where you can choose to play as a good guy or a bad guy. All Nintendo characters are in it. Unlike SSB, it has gameplay similar to the Mario games I guess, where you have different worlds etc.

tacopill

I would like a crossover game, as well.  But with me, i would like to see a rotation in the genre: RPG, racing, FPS, etc.

Tucayo

Play as the bad guy.... Sounds amazing

KidIcarus

Quote from: Tucayo on December 01, 2010, 07:09:25 PM

Aren't the Wario games like that?

Naesala

Quote from: vince220 on December 01, 2010, 09:31:10 PM

he may by greedy and lazy but he isn't really a villain, at least not anymore

tacopill

Quote from: Lord Ferrok on December 01, 2010, 09:44:38 PM
Quote from: vince220 on December 01, 2010, 09:31:10 PM

he may by greedy and lazy but he isn't really a villain, at least not anymore

play the villain as the protagonist, similar to how we follow Kira in Death Note.

Tucayo

Well, but in the Wario games he is the "good" character. I meant playing as Ganondorf, or who knows what villain. I was going to say Bowser, but BIS already lets you play as him, but it is not exactly what I mean