• Welcome to NIWA Community Forums.

Dealing with wikis about companies, brands, or whose series have sub series

Started by TurtwigA, December 23, 2010, 07:53:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TurtwigA

How should we deal with wikis about companies (such as NintendoWiki, who may in turn sprout HAL Laboratory wikis or more), brands (such as the Touch! Generations one), or series with sub-series (Mario prime example). Would we deal with them all like with what we did with DK Wiki and Mario Wiki, or should there be another way to go with this?

It seems like a good question considering NIWA has just past one of it's highest rising phases, one that may be repeated or surpassed one day.

Please give me internets! So much less bulkier than those eggs.
tg.wikkii.com-My Touch! Generations Wiki
chibirobo.wikkii.com My Chibi-Robo! Wiki

Help spread the word about the word smorent! Definition: [smohrent] adj. fluffy. In a sentence: that bear is very smorent.

BrandedOne

Interesting questions. I think that it's unlikely that any other wikis about companies would come about wishing to join NIWA (isn't HAL included in N-Wiki?).  I don't see any reason why not, but wasn't the purpose of N-Wiki to focus on the company of the IWA it was created for?

I'm not quite sure what you mean about the Touch! Generations brand... It's an odd situation, with series like Nintendogs, Brain Age, and the Wii series, that could potentially support their own wikis (though it might seem unlikely). I don't know if I have an answer to that one...

For a sub-series, it depends on what you mean. The main differentiating point here is whether the series is a sub-series or a side-series. Mario party is a sub-series of the Mario series, but I don't think anyone plans on making a Mario Party wiki, because it's still part of the Mario series. DK on the other hand, while it takes place in the Mario Universe, is largely viewed as its own series (a side-series), so it makes sense that it be supported by its own wiki. Are there any other examples, other than Mario, that you can think of? Most other Nintendo series aren't large enough to spark their own side-series.

But, as we've said before, each wiki that wishes to join is considered on a case-by-case basis, so it's hard to speak hypothetically about this sometimes.

TurtwigA

Other side-series outside of Mario are mainly placed into Pokémon, with Mystery Dungeon and Ranger mainly being thought of.

Help spread the word about the word smorent! Definition: [smohrent] adj. fluffy. In a sentence: that bear is very smorent.

BrandedOne

Those are still Pokemon, though, aren't they? I mean, I guess they could start their own wikis, but Bulbapedia has them covered already, doesn't it?

TurtwigA

Yes it does. Exactly why I'm wondering about the situation on this.

Level 3

Well for one DK Wiki is meant to have much more in depth coverage than MW. It really will depend entirely on the specific  situation.

Admin at the F-Zero Wiki.

Axiomist

I've given this some thought before, specifically on Egglerland and Kirby games. (More recently if Prince Fluff starts having his own games). I figured we'll allow content on WiKirby even though that's not going to be our primary focus, if say new Eggerland and Prince Fluff games became the norm, I could always create a new branch-off wiki to WiKirby. But that would really be a last resort, since so many things like policy pages etc would need to be duplicated when its easier to have it all on WK. Fluff would need more than 5 games for this to seem feasible to me and Eggerland would need full coverage on the pre-existing titles plus a slew of 3 or more NEW releases, not remakes.

Maxite

This should be decided on a case-by-case basis.
On more simplistic issues, if someone wanted to start a Wario Wiki and have it join NIWA as was of similar quality as other NIWA wikis, then I wouldn't have any problems with adding it. Wario is large enough of a series itself to support a wiki that would meet our criteria.
A wiki dedicated solely to Nintendo consoles? I'm not so sure that it would be able to add much since that is such a limited scope. A wiki dedicated to all consoles? That would be something to consider in a similar vein as StrategyWiki.

This isn't a case where we should have cut-and-dry rules, I do believe that human judgment should be involved in these sorts of decisions.

tacopill

Maxite has spoken, everyone obey!   (Just Kidding)

I agree, It would be on a case-by-case basis. Like DK Wiki, if a sub-series or whatever applies for membership, it will also need approval of the wiki that covers the same content.

As far as other companies, i would think companies owned by Nintendo would be acceptable, under the same conditions above. For example, Game Freak pretty much does only Pokemon. Which means it would probably be covered by Bulbapedia pretty well.

Brands, like touch series, i actually don't have a suggestion for. Are "Brand"s the same as "Series"?