• Welcome to NIWA Community Forums.

A skin for WikiBound: Help!

Started by Tina, November 08, 2010, 11:52:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dkpat

Quote from: tacopill on December 14, 2010, 04:36:33 AM
I'd recommend talking with Dillion or Tina on it, as i am sure any feedback would be helpful.

And thank you for the offer!

I would be that Dillion taco refers to.

If you have any suggestions with colors, then please, by all means make them. I can make a design out of most anything but... I'm typically not that great with inspiration/colors/actual design. lol (give me a pretty pic of what you want, and I can probably get there.. otherwise.. eh... lol)

Tina

Going into more detail as to what specifically I'm having trouble with when it comes to colors here.

So this is pretty much what I like so far- a light blue, and a deep red, and some shades in-between the two. It's what I used in this background, and I'd reaaaaaally like if that were to be used in the final product.

However, I'm having a really difficult time coming up with a compliment that goes well with the blue and the red. I had gone with a brightish yellow earlier, but I didn't really like how that came out. I was trying to go for a brightish... well, maybe bright's not the word. Not like "#ff0000 on #00fffff action" bright, but something eyecatching and playful. Something that'd suit Earthbound. Unfortunately I have a habit of muting things a ton, so that didn't work out very well. XD

Of course pastels would also work! Nothing against pastels, I like them quite a bit. Using brighter colors was more of my own personal experimentation. I'm not sure where to go from here, though.. something light? Dark? Warm? Cool?  ???
WikiBound Editor-in-Chief

R7308xx

Some color suggestions:

Red-yellow gradient

F7977A
F9AD81
FDC68A
FFF79A

A bit brighter:

F26C4F
F68E55
FBAF5C
FFF467

Earth

C4DF9B
6ECFF6
I blame the economy.

tacopill

Tina

Okay another change of plans. I got fed up with trying to work with the cold red/blues, since a compliment was being way too difficult to make it work, and just the red and blue looked bland... so after some fiddling, I came up with.... this!

Obviously not going to incorporate every single color listed there.

And the full mockup using those colors is right here, although looking on a different monitor now I need to redo the border colors. Disregarding some obvious blips, though, does this look.... I dunno. More like everything clicks better. Also, yay for pastels. <3

[spoiler=hidden]
(*cough*whatlucasandclausobsessionidontknowwhatyou'retalkingabout*cough*)[/spoiler]

I still want to adjust the background, though. I just slapped some blue stripes in the background. Going to clean that up later or something. :V

dany36

Whoa! That looks pretty nice!  ;D And the drawings at the top are cute too. Did you make those yourself? :o

Tina

Quote from: dany36 on December 22, 2010, 11:46:52 PM
Whoa! That looks pretty nice!  ;D And the drawings at the top are cute too. Did you make those yourself? :o
Yeah, I drew the Lucas/Claus at the top. :P Thanks!

Tina

I... I think I'm pretty satisfied with this, actually. I don't feel the need to touch it anymore! :O Which is weird because usually I go "AUGH OK SUDDENLY HATE THESE COLORS" or "NOPE GOTTA CHANGE THE TOP BANNER AGAIN".

Full mockup is here
Just the top banner is here (Which, by the way, it works with screens wider than 1024px -- just make the background #c4d8f3 and it'll be seamless! Magic!)
And then the color samples to draw more colors from is here.

Thought I would post this here for reference and to more publicly announce that I'm done fiddling with the design. Dillion said he was start working on it more after Christmas, so yay! [/statusreport]

Jake

Looks amazing Tina! It's a good thing, because I've just started playing Earthbound too. Is that still Monobook under there?

By the way, who made your skin? Was it Dillion? We still need one over at ACWiki.

Tina

It technically hasn't been put into code yet- the image is just a mockup I made in Photoshop lol. It'll probably run under a slightly-modified Monobook, though.

And yeah, Dillion's going to put the CSS together for it. :P

Jake

Quote from: Tina on December 25, 2010, 03:46:41 AM
It technically hasn't been put into code yet- the image is just a mockup I made in Photoshop lol. It'll probably run under a slightly-modified Monobook, though.

Can't wait!  :eekdance:

tacopill

Quote from: Jake on December 25, 2010, 03:55:52 AM
Quote from: Tina on December 25, 2010, 03:46:41 AM

Can't wait!  :eekdance:

neither can I!  :eekdance: :eekdance: :eekdance: :eekdance: :eekdance: :eekdance: :eekdance:

dkpat

heh, its making progress. as some already know. :D

tacopill

Quote from: dkpat on December 26, 2010, 06:06:32 PM
heh, its making progress. as some already know. :D

sweet. Looking forward to it.

Nintendoguy1

This should be exciting :)

Good luck!

(see that's why Edofenrir is awesome)

dkpat

Just to update/close the topic. The Skin has been completed, and it is the default skin for WikiBound!

tacopill

Quote from: dkpat on December 27, 2010, 04:58:40 PM
Just to update/close the topic. The Skin has been completed, and it is the default skin for WikiBound!

Sweet.

Should i close the thread?