• Welcome to NIWA Community Forums.

The Official Internet Thread

Started by Lazor Shroom Midna Freak, April 06, 2010, 12:19:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lazor Shroom Midna Freak

ITT, talk about websites.

My two favorite sites are Homestar Runner and the Mario Wiki Forums (here).

Member#36

QuoteThe Rules
9. Posting advertising threads is not allowed, unless permission is given by a staff member.

Your thread is advertising, which is against the rules.  The only real advertising which happens here involves getting another wiki to join the alliance.  However, you can feel free to make another thread talking about internet memes, etc... as long as there are no advertisments.

*Locked.*

Garlic Man

Advertising? Are you sure it wasn't just her sharing her interest in Homestar Runner and Mario?

Member#36

If it links, it's advertising.  Yes, she was showing interest but was also advertising.

Garlic Man

Just linking to something is not advertising. There have been links to facebook, NIWA, various Wikis, YouTube, and others posted here, none of which are against the rules(As long as there are not threads entirely devoted to advertising a product/website/etc.)

Thread unlocked.

Lazor Shroom Midna Freak

While I will admit that it did seem like advertising, my intentions were to show that I liked them. Should I remove the link?

Member#36

No, keep them.  I removed that one link because it was kind of like "a like this site, so I'm linking it here so that you can click it... and decide wheather or not to like it too!"  I kept the link to Super Mario Wiki because it is in the category of "(Potential) NIWA Members."  With "potential" only being used if it is not already a member, of course. 

Tucayo

This is not advertising....

Advertising is like "BUY PROPHOMOFOPOL" or CHECK THIS SITE, this is just mentioning sites you like.

I love Twitter

Edofenrir

I would post a link to tvtropes.org now, but I cannot afford the risk of trapping any of our users there, because the site has the bad habit to completely submerge your mind and not allow you to leave for hours/days, because there is just so much stuff to read...
"Will you stop?!!? What fools!
Haven't you begun to understand? The kingdom being ruined and us left in this state...
Isn't it petty, little battles like this that have caused it?
Believing in your friends and embracing that belief by forgiving failure...
These feelings have vanished from our hearts."
-Igos Du Ikana, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask

Lazor Shroom Midna Freak

Quote from: Edofenrir on May 13, 2010, 09:22:59 PM
I would post a link to tvtropes.org now, but I cannot afford the risk of trapping any of our users there, because the site has the bad habit to completely submerge your mind and not allow you to leave for hours/days, because there is just so much stuff to read...
This.

Level 3

Quote from: Edofenrir on May 13, 2010, 09:22:59 PM

I've delved into that site a few times, it's interesting.

I like going on random sites just for the fun of it but my most visited include newgrounds, vgdc, and youtube.

Admin at the F-Zero Wiki.

Mandi

Zelda Wiki.org, I tend to frequent that site quite a bit  :D

Gamefreak75

Veoh because that's the only place I can see Kirby: Right Back at Ya.

Remino52

Quote from: Gamefreak75 on July 07, 2010, 04:39:47 AM
Veoh because that's the only place I can see Kirby: Right Back at Ya.

It still airs re-runs I think. :D

Look for Big Red on the Phantasy Star Online Blue Burst Private Servers.

Proud supporter of NIWA Wikis!

Lazor Shroom Midna Freak

I also really like Brawl In The Family.

Remino52

Quote from: Lazor Shroom Midna Freak on August 07, 2010, 09:45:37 PM
I also really like Brawl In The Family.

Brawl in the Family is an AMAZING webcomic. It's so funny.

Look for Big Red on the Phantasy Star Online Blue Burst Private Servers.

Proud supporter of NIWA Wikis!

UrsAring

KidIcarus

I get all my video game news from Kotaku and Nintendo Life.

When I'm bored, I just surf Wikipedia because it has so much interesting stuff. :o

SoujiroElric

Can somebody explain me about tvtropes? I don't get what's it about.

Seritinajii

It's basically a website that lists tropes, which are literary devices used in all forms of media. They have funny names for 'em, but you'll probably recognize them upon hearing their definitions. For example, "Adam Smith Hates Your Guts" is a trope for video games in which the economy is proportional to game progress, not to supply and demand. The economy hates the player, basically.

Another example is "The Scrappy", which is a character that is disliked by a lot of the fans, named after Scrappy-Doo. So tropes can apply to plot, weapons, characters, concepts, etc. Along with trope pages, there are pages for games, anime, TV shows, etc. that has a summary and a list of the tropes for that series. For example, the "Ace Attorney" page starts out with a summary and then all the tropes, starting with "Abhorrent Admirer".

There are also other versions of the pages that have different aspects. "Wild Mass Guessing" is a page for a series (or rarely trope) where people post theories about the page, "Just Bugs Me" is a page for a series where people post things that just bug them, etc.

"LaconicWiki" is a section of the site that makes the pages short and easy to understand. For example, "Pokemon" in LaconicWiki is "Gotta catch em all to be a master". Or the Wii's LaconicWiki page is "Nintendo's Third Option".

"SugarWiki" is a section that portrays things positively. A lot of times, it is used for games that appear happy but are actually very nightmarish. I won't give spoilers. "DarthWiki" is pretty much the opposite.

Go explore!