• Welcome to NIWA Community Forums.

NIWA Membership

Started by KidIcarus, November 17, 2010, 12:16:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KidIcarus

Aside from independence, what factors does NIWA consider when admitting new members?

R7308xx

The 200 articles most of all (except for Lylat Wiki).  :police:
I blame the economy.

Moydow

We're actually moving away from that, though. 100 good quality articles are better than 200 stubs. You should be able to click "Random page" a fair number of times, and hit on a minimal number of stubs.
NIWA Coordinator

Axiomist

I'm looking at potential for growth as well. I mean a wiki dedicated to the 8bit era would only go so far.

Tucayo

The main things needed are:

*A decent main page
*Policies
*Help pages
*Some templates
*Decent amount of articles (No number specifically)
*Reasonable amount of activity

tacopill

somewhat active user base and dedicated staff also helps.

Garlic Man

So I was away on a trip to Japan, but apparently we allow non-Nintendo wikis too now? As well as fanon?

tacopill

Which one is "non-Nintendo"? StrategyWiki? they're cool  8).

lu-igi board

To be honest I'm against stratergy wiki joining NIWA. they are not entirely Nintendo.  :mario:

tacopill

um...they've already joined. You are against something that has happened.

Moydow

Quote from: lu-igi board on November 17, 2010, 04:46:56 PM
To be honest I'm against stratergy wiki joining NIWA. they are not entirely Nintendo.  :mario:
You're a bit late on that one :P We joined a month ago. NIWA won't simply expel a member like that, without a valid reason (moving to a wiki farm, etc).
NIWA Coordinator

Tucayo

Quote from: Garlic Man on November 17, 2010, 05:58:29 AM
So I was away on a trip to Japan, but apparently we allow non-Nintendo wikis too now? As well as fanon?
Hey Garlic, good to see you here again. Well, we allow wikis that cover some non-Nintendo content, but they are not entirely non-Nintendo. And as fanon, yeah, looks like we do, it's a shame fantendo never joined

Axiomist

Consider all of the good things from Strategy Wiki:
  • The experienced users helping other NIWA wikis
  • They are established and were already in partnerships with Bulbapedia, ZeldaWiki.org, and WiKirby
  • Their inclusion means we don't have to make our own strategy guide wiki for Nintendo games and try to gain a foothold in a crowded net niche
  • NIWA offers a more complete portfolio for Nintendo coverage having Strategy Wiki AND gives us an opportunity to work non-Nintendo coverage, I mean come on, Nintendo's titles can't be all you play.

More but it's time for dinner...

Dragonfree97

I've visited Strategy Wiki once or twice and found it very useful.
Toast falls butter side down, right? And a cat always falls on it's feet. So what happens if we attach some toast, butter side up to the back of a cat, then drop said cat? Levitation!

TurtwigA

Seriously, Strategy Wiki does extend much beyond NIWA's scope. But it could probably send wind for other wikis like Gamehiker or wikis that go a bit more broader than Nintendo in video gaming to join.
Quote from: Axiomist on November 19, 2010, 02:10:51 AM
I mean come on, Nintendo's titles can't be all you play.
Well actually...

Please give me internets! So much less bulkier than those eggs.
tg.wikkii.com-My Touch! Generations Wiki
chibirobo.wikkii.com My Chibi-Robo! Wiki

Help spread the word about the word smorent! Definition: [smohrent] adj. fluffy. In a sentence: that bear is very smorent.

BrandedOne

Quote from: TurtwigA on November 20, 2010, 05:04:25 PM
Quote from: Axiomist on November 19, 2010, 02:10:51 AM
I mean come on, Nintendo's titles can't be all you play.
Well actually...
I'm in that camp as well.

Malake256

Quote from: tacopill on November 17, 2010, 12:35:50 PM
Which one is "non-Nintendo"? StrategyWiki? they're cool  8).

That's actually a valid reason enough to me lol. Yes they are only part Nintendo, but they are kinda amazing. They are well-established and have invaluable editors (*cough* Moydow). Pretty much, we don't want to say "Not Nintendo? Get outta here." Pretty much, they were good enough to make us look beyond the fact that they're not completely a Nintendo wiki. Plus, not many wikis actually focus on the strategy/walkthrough parts, so SW helps make up for that.

As for fanon, well it's that fanon. It's much looser and kinda fun. I don't see a reason why not. Pikmin Fanon also was kinda attached to Pikipedia, it would have been really rude of us to turn them down.
My Weavile Brick Breaks Blisseys :)