Author Topic: Non-nintendo Independent wikis | SONIC DOESN'T APPLY  (Read 79010 times)

Offline BrandedOne

• Fire Emblem Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
Re: Non-nintendo Independent wikis | SONIC DOESN'T APPLY
« Reply #60 on: November 27, 2010, 05:34:18 PM »
In the case of Professor Layton, Level-5 doesn't have overseas subsidiaries to publish its games, so it looks to Nintendo's subsidiaries to do so for them.  Does that make Professor Layton a Nintendo series or a Level-5 series that Nintendo assists in distributing?

Offline KidIcarus

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 27, 2010, 05:50:13 PM »
I would, so long as it is as the brand or franchise is recognized as a Nintendo brand or franchise.

I agree with that statement, and I think most of us do. The only problem is determining what is and what isn't a "recognized Nintendo brand/franchise". People's opinions seem to be all over the spectrum. I think a lot of us are looking for a basic formula that sums everything up, and I'm not sure such a formula exists. If anyone can think of one that everyone agrees on though, that would be more than great.

Offline BoredPikachu!

• That bored Pikachu
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 27, 2010, 07:20:24 PM »
To answer your question BoredPikachu!, i think they would apply  :police:, since Nintendo is helping spread the franchise through distribution rights, and they use Nintendo's advertising team  for their commercials in the US.   :mario:

I hope this helps people and i didn't lose anyone in my odd grammar  :P or bore anyone with non-applicable examples  ;D

Alright, many thanks  :).
  <Visit Professor Layton at Wikii

Offline tacopill

• Lylat Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • csanimefan
« Reply #63 on: November 27, 2010, 08:55:41 PM »
This maybe making things more complex, But the posts BrandedOne and vince220 made above, and then some research i did on wikipedia, gave me an idea  that may help us find a solution.

According to Wikipedia, Level 5 does more than just Professor Layton. There is also,

So, considering Level 5 is expanding and becoming popular in both Japan and outside of it, deals thus far in only console exclusives, and then also considering it is a Nintendo exclusive franchise  - the two companies probably have a contract in order to say so - would it be suggestible that a Professor Layton Wiki be both in a Nintendo Wiki Group, like NIWA, and a Level 5 wiki group?

the problem is when it gets more complex for other franchises? if a franchise has 10 games, where development has been distributed unevenly amongst various companies, would the respective wiki join a wiki group based around a company that only developed 1 or 2 games?

I know the answer is probably varies from franchise by franchise, wiki group to wiki group and wiki to wiki, but i find extrapolation fun and figured it would be useful at this time to apply it to NIWA.

Thoughts?

Offline BrandedOne

• Fire Emblem Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 27, 2010, 09:23:29 PM »
I don't see any reason why a wiki couldn't be a part of more than one IWA, aside from the fact that NIWA is really the only one in existence at this point in time (correct me if I'm wrong, please :)) More IWAs would have to be created in order for this to happen.  While any wiki could join any IWA that allows them entrance, it would make the most sense for them to join the one for the company chiefly responsible for their franchise.  If it's unclear, then all the more reason to join both.

This is something that I could see influencing Strategy Wiki more than anyone else, considering they cover quite a bit of ground.

Offline Tina

• WikiBound Staff
    • View Profile
    • WikiBound
« Reply #65 on: November 27, 2010, 09:46:39 PM »
Just kind of stepping in to say that we should really "creating a wiki for the sake of a wiki" in mind - or in this case, "creating an alliance for the sake of an alliance". Nintendo's something that covers very large ground, but I really don't think people should be throwing around ideas like this so hastily.

NIWA's garden motif comes to mind. A wiki can really only grow when people give it lots of care. But when there's a small audience/group of editors, it becomes much more difficult. I also think that if more alliances were to be created, it'd be created by series fans for the fans. But that's a given, I think.

Also going to add in the fact that Professor Layton's actually a pretty big series right now. A new game's been coming out pretty much every year (since... 2007, I think?), a full-length animated movie that even got officially released in English, and it's pretty popular. I'm a pretty big fan of it, myself, although I wouldn't be able to help out with setting up a wiki since I can hardly focus on WB right now. :P

I think things like this should be approached less from a business attitude with theories, which is kind of the sense I'm getting right now. Or... uh. Well, bottom line the feeling I'm getting is just 'making stuff for the sake of making stuff', which isn't a very good idea for things like wikis, but unfortunately it happens a lot. :(

Or maybe the feeling I'm getting is that people who know the company/series well should be the ones plotting/hypothesizing? I can't really tell, but either way it's bothering me a lot.
WikiBound Editor-in-Chief

Offline BrandedOne

• Fire Emblem Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 27, 2010, 10:12:53 PM »
Sorry for your feeling bothered.  :(

There's certainly lots of work that can be done around all of the wikis before we start to think about creating new alliances and such.  I've been waiting to see more progress on Arwingpedia's merge, for example.  The wiki that needs my help the most is Fire Emblem Wiki, and once I get past a few hurdles in my real life, I'll be editing there like none other.

We're throwing around a lot of cool ideas, things we could do in the future, with the emphasis on "in the future".  NIWA's still young, right?  It's okay for us to be thinking about these things, I mean, if we don't have a vision of where we want to go, we'll never get there.  We just have to keep in mind that we have a lot of tending to do to our own garden before we try to plant a whole new one.

Offline tacopill

• Lylat Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • csanimefan
« Reply #67 on: November 27, 2010, 11:30:03 PM »
Yea, :D

I was just "thinking out loud", if you can hear my voice in your head, that is. I enjoy speculating, bring things out to their logical extension (and beyond) when no one is hurt by it.

Anyway, i hope, one day, the IWA's can roam free around the internet. giving help to whom ever needs it. Consider it a both a marketing strategy and forming of groups of people who share a common interest: like a club at school or college.

You're not required to join, but when you do so, you improve the quality of your time at the institution many times over. 

Offline R7308xx

• The poison in your drink... whoops.
  • New and, unfortunately, improved.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 28, 2010, 01:07:46 AM »
I found this while searching the Internet.
I blame the economy.

Offline KidIcarus

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 28, 2010, 01:11:15 AM »
At the bottom of their main page, they a have a link to a wiki on Ico/Shadow of the Colossus by Sony.

Offline Moydow

• NIWA Coordinator
  • Forum Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Fire Emblem Wiki
« Reply #70 on: November 28, 2010, 01:21:03 AM »
I found this while searching the Internet.
Wow, that's a really outdated version of MediaWiki. 1.9.5? Activity isn't the worst, but they may want to look at upgrading MediaWiki.
NIWA Coordinator

Offline KidIcarus

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 28, 2010, 01:26:49 AM »
Check out the changes for November 8, 2010. You'll see Dantman; he seems to be pretty active on the wiki. If you don't know who that is, he is a newer member of NIWA. You might know him from this thread.

I don't really know where I'm going with this, but it's just an interesting observation I made.

Offline Moydow

• NIWA Coordinator
  • Forum Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Fire Emblem Wiki
« Reply #72 on: November 28, 2010, 01:38:27 AM »
I know who he is; I noticed that also, and am surprised that the wiki still runs on 1.9.5 with him there. ???
NIWA Coordinator

Offline SnorlaxMonster

• Bulbapedia Staff
  • Bulbapedia bureaucrat, Zelda Wiki administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 28, 2010, 05:03:15 AM »
Also: Check out this post
I would just like to note that there are Pokémon games on non-Nintendo consoles. See this Bulbapedia template. There are 6 for PC, 2 for mobile phone, then there is even one for Sega Pico.

Offline KidIcarus

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 28, 2010, 05:31:35 AM »
I would just like to note that there are Pokémon games on non-Nintendo consoles. See this Bulbapedia template. There are 6 for PC, 2 for mobile phone, then there is even one for Sega Pico.

Minor anomalies like this are why it is next to impossible to create an absolute set of policies for admission into NIWA. We can make guidelines (and I very much support making guidelines), but in the end, everything will be decided on a case-by-case basis.

Offline Naesala

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: November 28, 2010, 02:38:54 PM »

Minor anomalies like this are why it is next to impossible to create an absolute set of policies for admission into NIWA. We can make guidelines (and I very much support making guidelines), but in the end, everything will be decided on a case-by-case basis.

I assume anything made by Nintendo or there subsidiaries would be a Nintendo series.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo#Software_development_studios
« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 02:51:04 PM by Lord Ferrok »

Offline BrandedOne

• Fire Emblem Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 28, 2010, 05:28:24 PM »

I assume anything made by Nintendo or there subsidiaries would be a Nintendo series.

In most cases, yes.  But what about a franchise like Xenosaga developed by Monolith Soft before they became Nintendo property?  It wasn't before but is it now?  Again, on a case by case basis, like Vince said.

Offline R7308xx

• The poison in your drink... whoops.
  • New and, unfortunately, improved.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 29, 2010, 04:18:57 AM »

In most cases, yes.  But what about a franchise like Xenosaga developed by Monolith Soft before they became Nintendo property?  It wasn't before but is it now?  Again, on a case by case basis, like Vince said.

Zelda has a similar situation with the CD-i. Same with Mario.
I blame the economy.

Offline Axiomist

• Retired Staff
    • View Profile
    • WiKirby
« Reply #78 on: November 29, 2010, 06:55:34 AM »
So Kirby is the only pureblood?

Offline TurtwigA

• Wiki editor
  • Why must the space not come?
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 29, 2010, 12:59:07 PM »
So Kirby is the only pureblood?

There's also Metroid, Wars, Animal Crossing, EarthBound, Star Fox, and Pikmin in that category.

Please give me internets! So much less bulkier than those eggs.
tg.wikkii.com-My Touch! Generations Wiki
chibirobo.wikkii.com My Chibi-Robo! Wiki

Help spread the word about the word smorent! Definition: [smohrent] adj. fluffy. In a sentence: that bear is very smorent.