Author Topic: Wikia  (Read 11803 times)

Offline Solar Dragon

• Solor Extraho
    • View Profile
    • Wikisimpsons
Wikia
« on: July 11, 2011, 08:55:47 PM »
Hi all,
Just wanting to know your views on Wikia. Since NIWA is mainly anti-Wikia, I want to see if all the users are anti-Wikia too.

Please comment, justifying why you feel the way you do too.

Offline Naesala

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Wikia
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2011, 01:28:54 AM »
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ussCHoQttyQ[/youtube]

Offline BrandedOne

• Fire Emblem Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2011, 03:08:18 AM »
I have nothing against Wikia. They exist, and I ignore them. I feel like Wikia is limiting the possibilities of its wikis, and wikis that go independent often end up being more aesthetically pleasing, as well as more well-run. It's not a bad thing, but there are much better options.

Offline KidIcarus

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2011, 06:00:40 PM »
It's a very good resource. Whenever I look for information about a certain fandom, I search "so-and-so wiki" on Google. The first result is Wikia four out of five times.

Offline Tina

• WikiBound Staff
    • View Profile
    • WikiBound
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2011, 07:29:50 PM »
It really depends on the wiki. I've come across a lot of good wikis hosted on Wikia that were pretty good, and fulfilled my needs nicely. As a non-editor, anyway. And then you have unbelievably terrible ones that suck as a resource *and* from an editing viewpoint. But I don't think they need to suffer or be destroyed. The bad resources are the editor's fault, not the people who run Wikia.

On the other hand, Wikia itself and its staff...? I would describe it as "highly punchable". I've just seen so many issues with the staff and all the legal crap and the default skin is terrible and blech. But again, I wouldn't say they need to suffer or anything. That's over the top. :|

So I would say that I like some wikis on there mostly because they're run by competent people who know how to run a good wiki, while others are just terrible. But honestly, you could say the same for anything, Wikia-hosted or not.
WikiBound Editor-in-Chief

Offline SnorlaxMonster

• Bulbapedia Staff
  • Bulbapedia bureaucrat, Zelda Wiki administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2011, 10:11:21 AM »
As a collection of wikis, I often use them if for an hour I want to read about a certain franchise, to see what it's like. Individual Wikias can be quite nice places to read, while others can be terrible with none of the articles I want, and the ones I do want don't have the information I want.

Wikia as a company though, I do in general dislike for how they treat their wikis. I do not see myself as becoming a Wikia editor. If I am reading as see a typo, spelling mistake, etc. I am likely to fix it, but I don't think I would ever edit it like I do Bulbapedia.

Offline Solar Dragon

• Solor Extraho
    • View Profile
    • Wikisimpsons
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2011, 06:04:33 PM »
OK, it's only fair if I tell you what I think of Wikia.

They are an evil, corrupt, money hungry, power abusing group of people who like to bully their editors and refuse to listen. Therefore, they deserve to be destroyed. As a member of 2 different alliances against Wikia, I have a great hatred towards them and would do anything I can to bring them down.

I make sure I have AdBlock on whenever I go on Wikia so I don't go giving them the satisfaction of getting money from my view of their stupid ads on their stupid skin.

There are many wiki hosts I would use over Wikia, that is, all of them. They are, in my opinion the worst host around and any wiki that wants to stay on Wikia must have complete morons as editors and therefore deserves to be destroyed too.

I will do anything within my power to bring Wikia down and am looking for help with this. Please PM me if you want to help my cause.

Offline Mari-Illustrious-Makinami

• The First Children
  • Nintendo Master
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2011, 08:03:30 PM »
lolumad

Offline Foxdude54

• Lylat Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2011, 03:14:05 PM »
....What's the difference? I'm that awkward noob kid that has no idea what everyone else is talking about.

Offline Gamefreak75

• Super Mario Wiki Staff
  • Mario Wiki and Pikmin Fanon Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2011, 12:49:20 AM »
OH GOD!!!! I WAS HOPING TO NEVER SEE ONE OF THESE HERE, BUT IT SEEMS I AM TOO LATE.

There are many wiki hosts I would use over Wikia, that is, all of them. They are, in my opinion the worst host around and any wiki that wants to stay on Wikia must have complete morons as editors and therefore deserves to be destroyed too.

Overreacting much? I am offended by such words, being an active Wikia contributor myself, and in fact a bureaucrat on one of the wikis I edit at. Maybe we can't pay for a new host, since, ya know, they cost money? Ever think of that? Wikia is free. That's why there are many wikis on it.

Did you ever think that people on wikia have feelings too? Did you know that Kirby Wikia and Wikirby are basically allies/on good terms? Wanting to destroy them is completely stupid and very pointless. You will be fighting a war you cannot, and will never, win.

I will do anything within my power to bring Wikia down and am looking for help with this. Please PM me if you want to help my cause.

Oh yes, because you will be able to take down Wikia, a large company that has millions and has control of over 10,000+different wikis, with the probably 10 people that respond. Good luck with that! You will be needing truckloads of luck!

All in all:
lolumad

The thing about NIWA that disgusted me the most was its anti-Wikia perception. If this crap is coming back, I don't think I want to be part of this bureaucracy.

Also, Tina basically summed up all of my opinions. All of them! The staff sucks, yes. The default skin is the worst idea, yes, but you can change it to fit your wiki.

There are many good Wikias, and hell, some of them are way better than their wiki counterparts (i.e. more information, more activity, etc…)

Offline Foxdude54

• Lylat Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2011, 12:50:16 AM »
...You didn't answer me..... :'(

• The First Children
  • Nintendo Master
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2011, 04:08:53 AM »
One of the main problems with Wikia is that if a Wikia wiki wants to move to independent host, Wikia won't let them inform users that the wiki has moved.

That and repeated buying of independent wikis.

Offline Solar Dragon

• Solor Extraho
    • View Profile
    • Wikisimpsons
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2011, 12:46:00 PM »
OH GOD!!!! I WAS HOPING TO NEVER SEE ONE OF THESE HERE, BUT IT SEEMS I AM TOO LATE.

Overreacting much? I am offended by such words, being an active Wikia contributor myself, and in fact a bureaucrat on one of the wikis I edit at. Maybe we can't pay for a new host, since, ya know, they cost money? Ever think of that? Wikia is free. That's why there are many wikis on it.

Did you ever think that people on wikia have feelings too? Did you know that Kirby Wikia and Wikirby are basically allies/on good terms? Wanting to destroy them is completely stupid and very pointless. You will be fighting a war you cannot, and will never, win.

Oh yes, because you will be able to take down Wikia, a large company that has millions and has control of over 10,000+different wikis, with the probably 10 people that respond. Good luck with that! You will be needing truckloads of luck!

All in all:
lolumad

The thing about NIWA that disgusted me the most was its anti-Wikia perception. If this crap is coming back, I don't think I want to be part of this bureaucracy.

Also, Tina basically summed up all of my opinions. All of them! The staff sucks, yes. The default skin is the worst idea, yes, but you can change it to fit your wiki.

There are many good Wikias, and hell, some of them are way better than their wiki counterparts (i.e. more information, more activity, etc…)

I am not overreacting. And being part of a group that managed to bring Wikia offline for a short period of time, I feel that the task of ruining Wikia is actually possible. Also, Wikia is not the only free wiki host out there. There are a lot of other good (good is anything but Wikia) hosts out there.

And I stand by my views. The only way you should want to stay at Wikia is if you: 1. Get along with the staff well. 2. Can't be bothered to move your wiki away. 3. Like staff making constant stupid pointless meaningless social networking changes to your wiki. 4. None of the above, i.e. you're an idiot.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 12:48:32 PM by Solar Dragon »

Offline Solar Dragon

• Solor Extraho
    • View Profile
    • Wikisimpsons
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2011, 12:52:45 PM »
....What's the difference? I'm that awkward noob kid that has no idea what everyone else is talking about.

Wikia is a corrupt evil corporation who bans its users for no apparent reason, removed admin rights of users without discussion, pays people to edit its wikis after the community moves away to independence, doesn't allow the community to tell the rest of the community that we have moved and makes random updates that they think are great but everyone else thinks are crap, stupid and pointless that they then force upon the community and don't allow people to remove as they'll then ban them.

Offline Tina

• WikiBound Staff
    • View Profile
    • WikiBound
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2011, 03:48:10 PM »
Good luck with that! You will be needing truckloads of luck!

You will need allllllll of the luck. All of it. ::::)
WikiBound Editor-in-Chief

Offline Foxdude54

• Lylat Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2011, 04:03:24 PM »

Wikia is a corrupt evil corporation who bans its users for no apparent reason, removed admin rights of users without discussion, pays people to edit its wikis after the community moves away to independence, doesn't allow the community to tell the rest of the community that we have moved and makes random updates that they think are great but everyone else thinks are crap, stupid and pointless that they then force upon the community and don't allow people to remove as they'll then ban them.
Well.....ok then, sounds horrible.

• The First Children
  • Nintendo Master
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2011, 04:31:28 PM »
He's overreacting.

Offline Solar Dragon

• Solor Extraho
    • View Profile
    • Wikisimpsons
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2011, 05:38:31 PM »
That is exactly what they have done to many communities. It is not overreacting. It is telling the truth.

Well, if you want to help out destroy Wikia, PM me.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 05:42:59 PM by Solar Dragon »