Author Topic: It's official: Square Enix and Nintendo abandoning Dragon Quest in North America  (Read 7679 times)

Offline FlyingRagnar

• Dragon Quest Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • Dragon Quest Wiki
No Dragon Quest news came out of E3 from either Square Enix or Nintendo.  Underscored by the poor sales of Dragon Quest X on the Wii U, Dragon Quest has officially been abandoned again in North America.  Square Enix simply cannot get their act together and made a horrible decision in making Dragon Quest X an online-only, subscription based game. 

Dragon Quest was dead in North America from 1992-1999.  Looks like we are entering the second "dark age" for the game series which is arguably the best selling series of all time in Japan.

Offline Torchickens

• StarfyWiki Staff
    • View Profile
No Dragon Quest news came out of E3 from either Square Enix or Nintendo.  Underscored by the poor sales of Dragon Quest X on the Wii U, Dragon Quest has officially been abandoned again in North America.  Square Enix simply cannot get their act together and made a horrible decision in making Dragon Quest X an online-only, subscription based game. 

Dragon Quest was dead in North America from 1992-1999.  Looks like we are entering the second "dark age" for the game series which is arguably the best selling series of all time in Japan.

Sad to hear this  :(, even though I haven't played a single Dragon Quest game.
Hello. I identify as female. She/her pronouns please. :)

(credits to Moydow)

I spend a lot of my time making videos about Pokémon glitches on my Youtube channel ChickasaurusGL.

I'm the editor in chief of Starfy Wiki. Let me know or Tappy know of any bugs or other concerns. :)

Discord: Torchickens #3213
Twitter: Torchickens
Email: [email protected]

Offline KidIcarus

• View Profile

both mario and pokemon have sold more

edit: typo

Offline Naesala

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
So no Dragon Quest 7 remake for NA?

Offline FlyingRagnar

• View Profile
    • Dragon Quest Wiki
Too early to say for the Dragon Quest 7 remake.  If it did happen, it likely will be a year or longer until it gets outside of Japan.  Due to the Dragon Quest X debacle, they will likely wait until they are absolutely sure it will be a success.

As for the Pokemon/Mario comparison, they have both had many more titles released than Dragon Quest and both are first party.  I probably shouldn't have said "best selling" but instead "one of the most popular" series.  Dragon Quest in Japan is pretty crazy.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon_Quest#Cultural_impact
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 07:15:13 PM by FlyingRagnar »

Offline KidIcarus

• View Profile
oh yeah I agree with that. definitely more popular there

Offline FlyingRagnar

• View Profile
    • Dragon Quest Wiki
I should also mention that Square Enix dumped the DQVC online service for Dragon Quest IX last month without any sort of advanced warning.  It just quit working, with many players thinking it must be down for a day or two (which has happened in the past).  Nope.  Square Enix just pulled the plug. 

Offline KidIcarus

• View Profile
Never really been a Dragon Quest fan