Poll

Should the disambiguation page go on "Donkey Kong (disambiguation)" or "Donkey Kong"?

Donkey Kong
3 (33.3%)
Donkey Kong (disambiguation)
6 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: October 08, 2013, 11:09:44 PM

Author Topic: "Donkey Kong (disambiguation)" page  (Read 9652 times)

Offline Vellidragon

• Hungry dragoness
  • WiKirby Staff
  • That fat girl
    • View Profile
    • Pelsatia
"Donkey Kong (disambiguation)" page
« on: September 06, 2013, 01:29:51 AM »
There currently is a page named "Donkey Kong (disambiguation)" on the wiki even though there is no page named "Donkey Kong"; that title simply redirects to "Donkey Kong (disambiguation)". The latter should be moved to "Donkey Kong" as no addition in parentheses is required to disambiguate it from anything, and typing in "Donkey Kong" leads there anyway except with a redirect in-between.

(I am aware this is a trivial issue, but tacopill made me post it on the forum.)

Offline Moydow

• NIWA Coordinator
  • Forum Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Fire Emblem Wiki
Re: "Donkey Kong (disambiguation)" page
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2013, 11:09:58 PM »
* Moydow adds a poll because he likes polls
NIWA Coordinator

Offline Tucayo

• Super Mario Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • MarioWiki's Shroom
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2013, 12:29:53 AM »
It doesn't quite make sense to have it as "(disambiguation)" when there is nothing on the Donkey Kong page.

Offline tacopill

• Lylat Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • csanimefan
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2013, 02:02:25 AM »
My opinion on the matter is that all disambiguation pages should have "(disambiguation)" in the title, that way you can link to them in related templates, or know when they have been linked to in Special:Whatlinkshere

Offline Vellidragon

• Hungry dragoness
  • WiKirby Staff
  • That fat girl
    • View Profile
    • Pelsatia
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2013, 11:44:14 PM »
My opinion on the matter is that all disambiguation pages should have "(disambiguation)" in the title, that way you can link to them in related templates, or know when they have been linked to in Special:Whatlinkshere
And you can't do that when they don't have it in the title? The current "Donkey Kong" page simply leads to the disambiguation page, it's just an unnecessary redirect in-between and an unnecessarily long title for the proper page.

Offline tacopill

• Lylat Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • csanimefan
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2013, 01:29:10 AM »
And you can't do that when they don't have it in the title? The current "Donkey Kong" page simply leads to the disambiguation page, it's just an unnecessary redirect in-between and an unnecessarily long title for the proper page.

It is an identifier. Someone who is looking through that list might not know that it is an disambiguation page from the list. They may link to "Donkey Kong" thinking they are going to the character.

Also, what is the problem with it not being needed or necessary? there's no disadvantage I can think of to having it the way it is.

Offline Vellidragon

• Hungry dragoness
  • WiKirby Staff
  • That fat girl
    • View Profile
    • Pelsatia
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2013, 06:35:24 PM »
It is an identifier. Someone who is looking through that list might not know that it is an disambiguation page from the list. They may link to "Donkey Kong" thinking they are going to the character.
They can still link to Donkey Kong and it will show up as a blue link, only it's a redirect to the disambiguation page instead of a direct link. If anything, it causes more confusion the way it is, as the fact that the disambiguation page has parentheses after the name indicates that there is a seperate "Donkey Kong" page (possibly about the character), but it isn't actually the case. It's misleading in this manner, and there's no advantage (it's pretty clear from the page's contents that it's a disambiguation (it should even have a notice pointing this out), and other pages don't pointlessly tell people what they are in the title; if they did, we would end up with "Category:Games (category containing games)" or "Help:Contents (index of the help pages)").

Offline tacopill

• Lylat Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • csanimefan
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2013, 10:10:54 PM »
They can still link to Donkey Kong and it will show up as a blue link, only it's a redirect to the disambiguation page instead of a direct link. If anything, it causes more confusion the way it is, as the fact that the disambiguation page has parentheses after the name indicates that there is a seperate "Donkey Kong" page (possibly about the character), but it isn't actually the case. It's misleading in this manner, and there's no advantage (it's pretty clear from the page's contents that it's a disambiguation (it should even have a notice pointing this out), and other pages don't pointlessly tell people what they are in the title; if they did, we would end up with "Category:Games (category containing games)" or "Help:Contents (index of the help pages)").

those are descriptors, not identifiers. Descriptors would be redundant, in this case, as the title and namespace give details on what is the page contents. Identifiers, on the other hand, don't give redundant info. "(game)", "(series)", etc. that isn't already in the page title. :P

"(disambiguation)" lets people know it is a disambiguation page, something that currently doesn't have a namespace.

Offline Xizor

• Zelda Wiki Bureaucrat
  • Forum Administrator
  • Talk to me. :)
    • View Profile
    • Legend of Zelda.com
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2013, 09:21:24 PM »
I voted for not including "(disambiguation)" but I tend to agree with Tacopill that if it's an actual disambiguation page that it should be labeled that way. I can't change my vote but I don't stand by my actual vote.

Bureaucrat of

Offline SeanWheeler

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2013, 02:48:01 PM »
Well I think the character can have a page. Mario has a page and his first appearance was in Donkey Kong's page. If we can have more characters like Pikachu or Kirby, the Donkey Kong character can use the "Donkey Kong" title. Otherwise, the disambiguation would get that title. We are currently discussing what characters can be on the wiki and Donkey Kong may be a good mascot. It just feels strange to have Mario as the only character when there are other important Nintendo characters.

Offline KidIcarus

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2015, 10:54:35 PM »
I think we're all on the same PAGE here ;) lol. But in all seriousness probably the best case scenario is to retitle the articles "Donkey  Kong the Character", "Donkey Kong the Game", "Donkey Kong the Franchise", etc.