Author Topic: Wikia makes another offer for Bulbapedia - Epic Fail  (Read 46149 times)

Offline Lazor Shroom Midna Freak

• Jesus Freak/Pie Shroom/Midna of Darkness
    • View Profile
Re: Wikia makes another offer for Bulbapedia - Epic Fail
« Reply #40 on: May 28, 2010, 11:28:45 AM »
My response to this offer:

Offline Jake

• Nookipedia Staff
  • Nookipedia Director / Server Admin
    • View Profile
    • Nookipedia
« Reply #41 on: November 08, 2010, 03:45:11 AM »
I know that this is definitely too late to reply, but I had something I wanted to add. On top of what others have said about Wikia's lack of respect towards fan communities, I have noticed that they are actually trying to buy out Bulbapedia to replace their existing Pokemon Wiki. If I were the admin of a Wikia site, this would be very unsettling to me. The fact that Wikia has the ability (and is willing) to buy replacement wikis for the hard work that others have put into their own network is simply disgraceful. I don't think I can ever look at a Wikia site again without realizing what a terrible mistake the admins who refuse to leave are making.

Offline Koroku

• Golden Sun Universe Staff
  • Wikimoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 09, 2010, 02:32:21 AM »
I'll be honest here... if I was approached with a nice offer, I don't know if I would decline for sure. I can completely understand those that might accept her offer if they were in not-so-great financial situations.

Offline robbo5002

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 09, 2010, 08:40:04 PM »
Wikia does not actually really care about fandoms whatsoever

Just a question. Has Bulbagarden ever tried to go one further and screw wikia over? e.g. by attempting to merge with pokémon wikia. I dont know what their stance is on independant wikis but it seems like a good idea just to merge with the wikia that they tried to replace. ;D

Offline TurtwigA

• Wiki editor
  • Why must the space not come?
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 09, 2010, 09:05:16 PM »
Wikia does not actually really care about fandoms whatsoever

Just a question. Has Bulbagarden ever tried to go one further and screw wikia over? e.g. by attempting to merge with pokémon wikia. I dont know what their stance is on independant wikis but it seems like a good idea just to merge with the wikia that they tried to replace. ;D
That has a very low chance of working out. Why? Because the wikis have had past problems and because the polices are varying from what I've seen.. I mean it works with Lylat Wiki and AC Wiki because at least one of the wikis is still deciding how to run it, but Bulbapedia and the Pokémon Wiki(a) are already standalone wikis.

Please give me internets! So much less bulkier than those eggs.
tg.wikkii.com-My Touch! Generations Wiki
chibirobo.wikkii.com My Chibi-Robo! Wiki

Help spread the word about the word smorent! Definition: [smohrent] adj. fluffy. In a sentence: that bear is very smorent.

Offline Solar Dragon

• Solor Extraho
    • View Profile
    • Wikisimpsons
« Reply #45 on: November 13, 2010, 09:42:30 AM »
Wikia will not allow wikis from Wikia to merge with external wikis. They do not offer any help with it at all. I know as I have asked about it in the past.

It is good that you never gave in to Angela. She, along with the other staff, have ruined Wikia with the new skin. I only work on two wikis now, an answers wiki, UnAnswers, that is a joke answers site and Fable wiki. I still work at Fable as I tried to get the community to move but it didn't happen.

As of now, I have moved my other major wiki, Wikisimpsons, to ShoutWiki. I thought about self hosting but I am still young and don't have the money to host a wiki.

Whoops, I appear to have gone off topic a bit. Anyway, Wikia sickens me. They caused a lot of controversy with the buying of Uncyclopedia. I really wish that they never gave in. Just happy to see you hold up and not give in.

Offline Manga Maniac

• I am a dragon. Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 13, 2010, 03:51:59 PM »
I know that this is definitely too late to reply, but I had something I wanted to add. On top of what others have said about Wikia's lack of respect towards fan communities, I have noticed that they are actually trying to buy out Bulbapedia to replace their existing Pokemon Wiki. If I were the admin of a Wikia site, this would be very unsettling to me. The fact that Wikia has the ability (and is willing) to buy replacement wikis for the hard work that others have put into their own network is simply disgraceful. I don't think I can ever look at a Wikia site again without realizing what a terrible mistake the admins who refuse to leave are making.

They'd probably do something like with Lostpedia, with Lostpedia going to lostpedia.wikia.com and the other Lost wiki just staying at lost.wikia.com, only with no hope of becoming a true big wiki.

Offline tacopill

• Lylat Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • csanimefan
« Reply #47 on: November 13, 2010, 05:02:49 PM »
why not?

Offline Jake

• Nookipedia Staff
  • Nookipedia Director / Server Admin
    • View Profile
    • Nookipedia
« Reply #48 on: November 13, 2010, 05:39:06 PM »
Wikia will not allow wikis from Wikia to merge with external wikis. They do not offer any help with it at all. I know as I have asked about it in the past.

It is good that you never gave in to Angela. She, along with the other staff, have ruined Wikia with the new skin. I only work on two wikis now, an answers wiki, UnAnswers, that is a joke answers site and Fable wiki. I still work at Fable as I tried to get the community to move but it didn't happen.

As of now, I have moved my other major wiki, Wikisimpsons, to ShoutWiki. I thought about self hosting but I am still young and don't have the money to host a wiki.

Whoops, I appear to have gone off topic a bit. Anyway, Wikia sickens me. They caused a lot of controversy with the buying of Uncyclopedia. I really wish that they never gave in. Just happy to see you hold up and not give in.

I'm actually a huge fan of Wikisimpsons. I'm a little busy right now with Animal Crossing Wiki, but I may be able to offer some hosting for you at a later time. :) Anything to get someone off Wikia!

Offline Manga Maniac

• I am a dragon. Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 13, 2010, 11:07:46 PM »
Lookie what I found.

Wow. Did Wikia actually think Bulbapedia would join so much as to create bulbapedia.wikia.com? Those poor sods. Its possible that it was a normal user, but somehow, I doubt it.

Offline Tina

• WikiBound Staff
    • View Profile
    • WikiBound
« Reply #50 on: November 13, 2010, 11:19:05 PM »
Lookie what I found.

Wow. Did Wikia actually think Bulbapedia would join so much as to create bulbapedia.wikia.com? Those poor sods. Its possible that it was a normal user, but somehow, I doubt it.

I dunno, you would be surprised. I could actually swear one time when some random kid decided to make a Wikia and call it "THE BULBAPEDIA WIKI" or something. There's been a lot of (innocent) rip-offs of BP, though, so they all kind of blend with each other in my memories. 8(
WikiBound Editor-in-Chief

Offline Manga Maniac

• I am a dragon. Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 13, 2010, 11:20:34 PM »
Shush, I like to make fun of Wikia.

Don't ruin this for me.

Offline Solar Dragon

• Solor Extraho
    • View Profile
    • Wikisimpsons
« Reply #52 on: November 13, 2010, 11:46:04 PM »
Yeah, I found that and notified the staff. They closed the wiki after.

They were stealing all of the content from Bulbapedia.

Offline tacopill

• Lylat Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • csanimefan
« Reply #53 on: November 14, 2010, 12:10:36 AM »
you mean it wasn't a wiki about bulbapedia?  :D it's history, the bulbagarden network, etc.

Offline TurtwigA

• Wiki editor
  • Why must the space not come?
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 14, 2010, 12:12:48 AM »
you mean it wasn't a wiki about bulbapedia?  :D it's history, the bulbagarden network, etc.
Exactly. They were some people "moving" Bulbapedia to Wikia. I first saw it a week after it was closed.

Please give me internets! So much less bulkier than those eggs.
tg.wikkii.com-My Touch! Generations Wiki
chibirobo.wikkii.com My Chibi-Robo! Wiki

Help spread the word about the word smorent! Definition: [smohrent] adj. fluffy. In a sentence: that bear is very smorent.

Offline Manga Maniac

• I am a dragon. Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 14, 2010, 12:18:21 AM »
So why does Wikia even need to buy Bulbapedia if they have vandals do it for free :D

J/k.

Offline dimomarg

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 14, 2010, 03:09:55 PM »
GO ON A CRAPPY SERVER, LOSE CONTROL OVER OUR WIKI SYSTEM, GET USELESS SUPPORT AND A HORRIBLE SKIN?
GEE, WHAT A GOOD IDEA!
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 09:41:53 PM by Neo »

Offline Justin

• Code Junkie
  • Forum Administrator
  • NIWA's official code monkey
    • View Profile
    • Zelda Wiki
« Reply #57 on: December 14, 2010, 09:41:09 PM »
Please watch your language.

And to whoever reported this, we don't have rules against reviving old threads. Thanks for trying to help, though.
~~~~
Server bureaucrat of Zelda Wiki. I fix what you break.

Also a tech administrator for Poniverse.

Offline R7308xx

• The poison in your drink... whoops.
  • New and, unfortunately, improved.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 15, 2010, 03:44:22 AM »
I'm not trying to be offensive, but I can't believe that 3 1/2... I think, of NIWA's wikis came from Wikia. Again, no offense, and I know this is a bit off topic.
I blame the economy.

Offline BrandedOne

• Fire Emblem Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 15, 2010, 03:54:04 AM »
More than that.  Here's the list I started:

SmashWiki
Pikipedia
Pikmin Fanon
Animal Crossing City => Animal Crossing Wiki
Arwingpedia => Lylat Wiki
Donkey Kong Wiki
Golden Sun Universe
(Plus F-Zero Wiki, which I'm pretty sure is on its way)

On a more curious note, I'm not sure I understand what was meant by your post.  Are you implying that NIWA has too many Wikia-converts? Or am I misreading that?