• Welcome to NIWA Community Forums.

Wikia makes another offer for Bulbapedia - Epic Fail

Started by Archaic, April 22, 2010, 07:24:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Naesala

Quote from: Austin on April 27, 2010, 06:45:59 PM
Satire Party All Night Long!  [Even better, the following image was found on Wikia. :P]

what the...

Member#36

If you know what a satire is, which I'm going to give you by default, I am suggesting that we celebrate (in all unseriousness) Wikia's foolishness with a party.  The use of a so called "party" helps it make it a satire.

It is relevant as a silly suggestion (which is not to be taken seriously) because the cause of the party is the action on Wikia's side to try to buy out Bulbapedia again.  Kind of like cause and effect.  [:l]

Hotchmoney

Quote from: Austin on April 28, 2010, 12:44:13 AM
If you know what a satire is, which I'm going to give you by default, I am suggesting that we celebrate (in all unseriousness) Wikia's foolishness with a party.  The use of a so called "party" helps it make it a satire.

It is relevant as a silly suggestion (which is not to be taken seriously) because the cause of the party is the action on Wikia's side to try to buy out Bulbapedia again.  Kind of like cause and effect.  [:l]

I think he was alarmed by the picture, not confused as to what you meant by a satire party. (Or at least, I am)
Contributor to Wars Wiki interested in both helping NIWA and bringing Wars Wiki into it.

Tucayo

tacopill

pokenutter

I have a Wikia account, but after seeing this, I'll probably make it a policy to support independent Wikis.

tacopill

Me: Well, I have one as well.
System: *We appologize, tacopill has been slain*
Me: No i haven't
System: well. You will be soon, you're very ill.
Me: No, i think i'm getting better.
System:  No you're not, you'll be stone dead in a moment.
Me: But the wounds are healing. and I don't want to go on the cart.
System: Oh, don't be such a baby.
Me: I feel fine. I think I'll go for a walk.
System: You're not fooling anyone, you know.
Me: I feel happy. I feel happy.
*Clunk*
*System hit tacopill over the head with a blunt object, then places him on the cart*

The Above Script is adopted from Monty Python and The Holly Grail  (1975, Python (Monty)) Pictures), in the case you aren't familiar with the movie. If this is the case, please stop what you are doing and go watch it now.

Member#36

[unrelated] **** yeah, Monty Python! [/unrelated]

I have nothing left to say about the [actual] topic... other than I kind of want them to do it again so we won't stop laughing.

RAP

This is particularly confusing. How does "she" know Bulbapedia is currently experiencing server errors? Did she simply knew this by going to the website by coincidence? Upon reading what I read, it almost felt like Angela is making an automated message to the head of the wiki. :9

Member#36

Quote from: RAP on April 28, 2010, 07:09:01 PM
This is particularly confusing. How does "she" know Bulbapedia is currently experiencing server errors? Did she simply knew this by going to the website by coincidence? Upon reading what I read, it almost felt like Angela is making an automated message to the head of the wiki. :9

You're thinking to hard... drink the punch and enjoy yourself.

Level 3

So who's this Daniel person?

Well, grats on standing strong, don't know how you did it, I probably would have gone unconscious from all that laughter.

Admin at the F-Zero Wiki.

Archaic

Quote from: RAP on April 28, 2010, 07:09:01 PM

We were experiencing problems back in March, before we added servers 3 through 5. Presumably, it's part of either her job or her subordinates job to keep track of popular non-Wikia wikis. For the record, every time we've actually talked in public before about having financial issues (thank heavens we're financially secure now) or major technical issues, something like this arrived in my inbox a few weeks later.

In any case, this is the reply I sent to Angela earlier.

QuoteAngela,

I wasn't going to reply to this initially, but I figure it's best that I do, if only to save myself the trouble of having to read these kinds of emails from you again in the future.

Quite honestly Angela, I'm flabbergasted that you would email me with anything like this. I've felt for a long time that your organisation represented one of the greatest threats to online fan communities, and this email just confirms in my mind everything that I've thought and said regarding Wikia and how little you actually care for the online fan communities that you attempt to absorb.

For starters, if you had cared to actually look into our situation, you would've noted that despite the sustained increased traffic following the English language release of Pokémon HeartGold and SoulSilver versions (which I note has brought us into the top 2000 websites in the US, with traffic still increasing), Bulbagarden and Bulbapedia's recently upgraded and expanded cluster of 5 servers are currently quite stable and self-supporting. There is no technical or financial reason for us to even think of considering your offer.

However, this isn't what makes your email as astounding as it is. For the record, since both you and your subordinates clearly have not done your research whatsoever, let me point out to you that I am the founder of the Nintendo Independent Wiki Alliance (NIWA), an association of fan wikis including Bulbapedia that was specifically set up to provide support to other independent wikis in the greater Nintendo fandom, and to provide a bulwark against the continued encroachment into it of groups such as Wikia. You will find a link to our Manifesto at the bottom of this paragraph. With the very fact that you sent this email to me clearly demonstrating some of the points we raised there with regards to your management style and lack of interest in the fandoms themselves, I imagine you'll be hearing and seeing a lot more of NIWA over the coming months and years.
http://www.niwanetwork.org/forums/index.php?topic=98.0

I would say more, but now that you're here in Australia, I'll restrain myself so that I don't accidentally fall foul of our slander and libel laws. Suffice it to say that, if it hasn't already sunk in Angela, our answer to your offer is, has been, and always will be, a firm no. There is no possible circumstance under which I or my team would ever consider having Bulbapedia "hosted" by Wikia. Our attitude towards your offer has not changed, and will never. The same goes for our wiki partners in the Encyclopaediae Pokémonis and NIWA networks.

Yours sincerely,
Liam Pomfret
a.k.a. Archaic, Webmaster of Bulbagarden/Bulbapedia; Founder of the Nintendo Independent Wiki Alliance

tacopill

Member#36

If they don't learn from this... well, I suppose they won't learn at all.  And yes, it is beautiful (and surprisingly shinny.)

Axiomist

Her letter to you sounded as though she were talking to a child. She might as well have offered to trade you the site for a bag of candy to be fully insulting.

Archaic

Quote from: Axiomist on May 02, 2010, 12:40:05 AM
Her letter to you sounded as though she were talking to a child. She might as well have offered to trade you the site for a bag of candy to be fully insulting.

I've wondered a few times if she thinks that the replies I've sent her have been written by "the parent of the webmaster" or something. Does she think we're still in high school or undergraduates or something? I don't have a mass of initials after my name for nothing.

Tucayo

Nice response

BTW; What has it gotta do at all that she lives in Australia?

Archaic

Basically, there's the chance that if I made certain accusations towards her or Wikia, and then started publishing it widely, that she could take me to court locally.

Nathan

Quote from: TTEchidna on April 22, 2010, 07:36:22 AM
OH MY GOD THEY'LL GIVE US STOCK OPTIONS  :o

You know, I really wonder... would they have been able to stand the amount of load we were under? If TPE were anywhere near our level of quality and stuff?

Yes, they would of. Remember, wikia hosts wiki's that, believe it or not, get a higher volume of traffic and has more quality content than Bulbapedia. You guys are indeed big, but wikia does have bigger wiki's then you. IE WoW Wiki.

They would of had zero problems with the server load.

Still, gotta love the persistence right?

JoJo

Great reply, it'll be interesting to see any return response.

Also, sliiiightly off topic, can I just say I find it oddly weird that YEARS ago I was a right little fangirl to your Pokémon fanfic, Archaic. How times change. :x