Author Topic: RIP ZeldaWiki  (Read 6088 times)

Offline litnin200

• View Profile
RIP ZeldaWiki
« on: March 11, 2017, 09:41:26 AM »
ZeldaWiki has moved to Gamepedia. This was a big mistake. Gamepedia is one of the worst websites on the internet for hosting wikis. It slows down my web browser horrendously with its ads and cookies. To make the ads go away, you have to pay them! I'm not doing that!

Offline Hylian King

• Zelda Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • Zelda Wiki
Re: RIP ZeldaWiki
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2017, 07:11:17 PM »
I'm sorry to hear that this change is proving to be unpleasant for you (and others, I'm sure). Overall though, the wiki is much faster now than it was in the past 5+ years since I started contributing, even with the ads. Gamepedia is a huge win for us in terms of technological resources.

Try to understand someone has to pay for the hosting. This is not easy for a non-profit fan community to do, and the last thing we want is for the wiki to come to a grinding halt during the traffic spikes that happen around a game release, especially one as colossal as BotW. With Gamepedia, this is no longer a worry.

Full disclosure: as a longtime contributor to Zelda Wiki I am entitled to Gamepedia PRO membership. But even if that weren't the case, I would have no problem paying 1.25/month to the wiki's host farm, especially one that actually respects the gaming communities they host. As for the ads... If this layout is what it takes to make things work, then that's how it has to be. There ain't no such thing as a free lunch. :P
« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 07:56:50 PM by Hylian King »