Author Topic: Alliance Requests  (Read 174370 times)

Offline Tucayo

• Super Mario Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • MarioWiki's Shroom
Re: Alliance Requests
« Reply #80 on: February 17, 2010, 01:17:35 AM »
Hence a Sonic Wiki is not a possibility. SOrry to all who supported...

EDIT: Fantendo moved, then I support the alliance. We just have to hear other admins says in this  :police: :police:
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 02:39:02 AM by Tucayo »

Offline Level 3

• F-Zero Wiki Staff
  • Hey everyone, just here to help with the effort.
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 17, 2010, 03:42:03 AM »
I'm not sure how feasible this actually is, but maybe if we can contact the people who created this: http://www.fewiki.net/index.php?title=Main_Page, we could absorb its remnants.

That would be good, and to expand on that, we could make a Fire Emblem wiki to accomapny the Kirby and Metroid wikis using the remnants of that wiki.

And as Tucayo just said, Fantendo is make a move towards independence and will move to a new site soon.
http://fantendo.wikia.com/wiki/User_blog:Hemu/THE_SITE_WILL_BE_UP_SOON

If the community has a say then I'd say yes.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 03:44:31 AM by Level 3 »

Admin at the F-Zero Wiki.

Offline Garlic Man

• Fluent Japanese Speaker
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 17, 2010, 04:26:25 AM »
Seceding from Wikia is indeed a start.  :)

Offline Level 3

• F-Zero Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 17, 2010, 03:22:17 PM »
http://www.pikmin.wikia.com

I looked through it quickly and it seems at least decent, what are your thoughts?

Someone should contact them if it seems good enough to qualify.

Offline Ninjask

• Can you keep up with my speed?
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
« Reply #84 on: February 17, 2010, 10:26:51 PM »
We don't accept Wikia's, because they are generally not independent.

Offline Garlic Man

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 17, 2010, 10:32:42 PM »
We don't accept Wikia's, because they are generally not independent.
But they can still move out from wikia onto their own server.

Offline Ninjask

• Can you keep up with my speed?
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
« Reply #86 on: February 17, 2010, 10:49:34 PM »
Well yea, that's sort of true.  :-\
But we still have to ask the "big boss" to move servers and join the alliance, which may or may not work out depending if the Boss agrees with the situation.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 10:51:54 PM by Ninjask »

Offline Garlic Man

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 17, 2010, 10:53:06 PM »
Well obviously, the if the Wiki doesn't want to join, they won't.

Offline Cowbeb

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 18, 2010, 12:18:50 AM »
Well, ab out Fantendo, I see your points. I support Fantendo joining the alliance, lets see what has other people got to say. Anyways, if you want to join, you need first to leave wikia
Thanks. Also, we did leave wikia. See http://fantendo.info/wiki/

On a sidenote, I think Fantendo should be included in the alliance, but as some sort of an affiliate, not a full-fledged member because it is only fanon.
The fact that it's fanon means that it is more creative and innovative than the dull and factual wikis. I mean, the factual wikis are useful, but not fun. A website like Fantendo has more potential for creativity and the like. I still don't get the whole "It-shouldn't-be-a-full-affiliant-cuz-it's-fanon" argument; it implies that boring, unoriginal, factual wikis are automatically superior to more creative ones for no good reason.

Offline Garlic Man

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 18, 2010, 12:23:49 AM »
Oh, I know plenty of people (me being one) that find pleasure in contributing to factual wikis.  ;)

They are only boring and dull if you want them to be.

Offline Nerdy Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #90 on: February 18, 2010, 12:36:31 AM »
On a sidenote, I think Fantendo should be included in the alliance, but as some sort of an affiliate, not a full-fledged member because it is only fanon.
The fact that it's fanon means that it is more creative and innovative than the dull and factual wikis. I mean, the factual wikis are useful, but not fun. A website like Fantendo has more potential for creativity and the like. I still don't get the whole "It-shouldn't-be-a-full-affiliant-cuz-it's-fanon" argument; it implies that boring, unoriginal, factual wikis are automatically superior to more creative ones for no good reason.
If a fanon wiki is a main member of a group of canon wikis, people might not realise the fanon wiki is just creative made-up stories and think it's just an reliable wiki that didn't do the research. Not to mention the name might also be misinterupted as a wiki that fans have put together to share info on the games.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 12:39:45 AM by Nerdy Guy »

Offline Cowbeb

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 18, 2010, 01:51:19 AM »
If a fanon wiki is a main member of a group of canon wikis, people might not realise the fanon wiki is just creative made-up stories and think it's just an reliable wiki that didn't do the research. Not to mention the name might also be misinterupted as a wiki that fans have put together to share info on the games.
Considering that the heading is "Fantendo- Nintendo Fanon Wiki", and it's stated on the main page like a bazillion times that it's fanon, it would take an absolutely idiotic person to make that mistake.

Am I being insulting and annoying? Sorry. Just trying to help Fantendo get approved as a part on NIWA.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 01:53:12 AM by Cowbeb »

Offline Level 3

• F-Zero Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 18, 2010, 08:55:45 PM »
If anything, you can just point out that Fantendo is fanon at the hub, it's going to be redesigned anyway right? Just find a way to make it fit.

Offline Cowbeb

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 18, 2010, 09:34:27 PM »
If anything, you can just point out that Fantendo is fanon at the hub, it's going to be redesigned anyway right? Just find a way to make it fit.
Yeah. The logo says "Fantendo: The Nintendo Fanon Wiki", so just put the logo on the hub and that's that.

Offline Nathan

• Metroid Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 19, 2010, 05:22:40 PM »
I siad this in staff, might as well say it publicly:

I do not support the affiliate - member BS. You're either good enough to be part of NIWA or your note. Personally, I will not be allowing http://www.metroidwiki.org to be some sort of affiliate. We are either good enough to be a member, or were not and need to continue working to that level.

Sorry, just my two cents. It's just overcomplicating things, and I can say safely people in staff can't even agree on what privledges an affiliate verse a member even has. To me it's simple: If you're on the hub page - your an official NIWA member and wiki. Screw this affiliate program of being some sort of sub member that needs to work up to member. It's an elitest attitude, and I don't like it. It means "well you're a nice wiki, but not as good as this, this, and this."

I don't like it.

Offline Level 3

• F-Zero Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 19, 2010, 08:37:04 PM »
I siad this in staff, might as well say it publicly:

I do not support the affiliate - member BS. You're either good enough to be part of NIWA or your note. Personally, I will not be allowing http://www.metroidwiki.org to be some sort of affiliate. We are either good enough to be a member, or were not and need to continue working to that level.

Sorry, just my two cents. It's just overcomplicating things, and I can say safely people in staff can't even agree on what privledges an affiliate verse a member even has. To me it's simple: If you're on the hub page - your an official NIWA member and wiki. Screw this affiliate program of being some sort of sub member that needs to work up to member. It's an elitest attitude, and I don't like it. It means "well you're a nice wiki, but not as good as this, this, and this."

I don't like it.

Not sure since I'm not staff, but I don't think wikirby and metroid wiki are affiliates of NIWA, just of the separate wikis

Offline Nathan

• Metroid Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 19, 2010, 08:55:15 PM »
No, were not part of the NIWA, and thus shouldn't have staff access. I think we only have it since we are all part of ZW and helped get NIWA setup.

Offline King Mario

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 19, 2010, 09:47:55 PM »
My ideas:

1. Interlinking between the wikis, ev. also their acoompanying websit, eg. Bulbagarden, if they have one, in addition to the NIWA site and forums, just like how the Encyclopediae Pokémonis sites do, which helps users and websites to to find it big times, or else this will get abandoned since no wikis can find it, members will stop cokming, and existing members and wikis will forget about it.

2. A subproject, which I tentatively call Project Indepence of Nintendo Wikis (PINW), which main goal is to help decent Nintendo wikia to become independent wikis, if they want to do so, and join NIWA.

Offline Hemu

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 20, 2010, 05:28:35 AM »
bad news about fantendo

the site had errors, and now the users want to stay at wikia and won't even let me fix the site >_>

and they say that we need publicity but won't understand how NIWA will help us with that

Offline Garlic Man

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 20, 2010, 05:54:29 AM »
That is certainly a problem. Did you not gain support from your userbase before taking action?