Author Topic: Alliance Requests  (Read 174616 times)

Offline Tucayo

• Super Mario Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • MarioWiki's Shroom
Re: Alliance Requests
« Reply #260 on: March 14, 2010, 01:45:24 AM »
I would say F-Zero, Punch Out!! and Trauma Center (if applicable) would be to minor for a wiki.

Offline KidIcarus

• View Profile
« Reply #261 on: March 14, 2010, 02:21:55 AM »
So here's what's left:
•Fire Emblem (Ten games, two playable appearances in SSB, manga)
•Ace Attorney (Five games, one game to be released, manga)
•Professor Layton (Four games released, one game to be released, one film, two novels, manga)

Here are the ones that others or myself believe are in a gray area:
•Pikmin (Two games, one game to be released, one non-playable appearance in SSB)
•Golden Sun (Two games, one game to be released, assist trophy in SSBB)
•Earthbound/Mother (Three games, three playable appearances in SSB, manga)
•F-Zero (Six games released, one expansion pack, one arcade game, anime series, three playable appearances in SSB)
•Punch-Out!! (Three games, one WiiWare mini-game, one spin-off game, assist trophy in SSBB)
•Trauma Center (Four games, one game to be released)

Fire Emblem seems to be a good place to start creating wikis.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 04:04:20 AM by vince220 »

Offline Level 3

• F-Zero Wiki Staff
  • Hey everyone, just here to help with the effort.
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: March 14, 2010, 03:08:12 AM »
Ace Attorney also has one yet to be released game and 2 theater productions (only mentioning this bit since you mentioned the movie for professor layton)

I wouldn't start with FE because we should wait and keep trying to contact that old independent FE wiki.

Admin at the F-Zero Wiki.

Offline Hotchmoney

• Wars Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: March 14, 2010, 06:39:19 PM »
Well, people, for those franchises that dont have a wiki, or that are too minor, we, the NIWA staff, are planning to make a Nintendo Wiki to cover Nintendo stuff and those franchises :)

Would you say that all of the following franchises are deserving of their own wiki, or do you think any of these franchises are too minor?

•Earthbound/Mother
•F-Zero
•Fire Emblem
•Pikmin
•Punch-Out!!
•Ace Attorney
•Prof. Layton (not official, but presumably)
•Trauma Center? (not sure yet)
•Golden Sun (what Jo said)

Ace Attorney, Fire Emblem, F-Zero, and Punch-Out!! are the two biggest franchises there, they should have their own wikis, though F-Zero and Fire Emblem would pose some problems due to some games being Japan only. The others are big in their own right and have new games coming in (except for Mother, which I would say is a gray area for that list)
Half the games in the Wars series are Japan only, and it's an issue for us at Wars Wiki, but not something that can't be overcome. There are probably patches that change the language to English for most FE and F-Zero games, so there shouldn't be much of a language barrier.
Contributor to Wars Wiki interested in both helping NIWA and bringing Wars Wiki into it.

Offline Hope(N Forever)

• Lylat Wiki Staff
  • Non-English Wiki Editor
    • View Profile
    • ASSAD® comixs' website
« Reply #264 on: March 15, 2010, 05:44:28 PM »
Methinks the number of games in a single series does not justify the size of a wiki at all! For example, there had been five official games in the Star Fox series, two cancelled games (which one has been fully leaked into the internet), with a rumour a sixth game in currently in the works, and the series has a big fandom, loads of merchandise, and additionally three characters, with several related elements, in Super Smash Bros. Brawl, and one of the characters is a veteran since the very first game. However, apparently, the Star Fox wiki on Wikia seems to have a lot less articles than the Wikia wiki about the Mother series, which only has three games by far, each one almost a decade apart!

Just a thought to think about when regarding establishing wikis based on certain "minor" series.

Saying that the lack of availablity of certain game titles outside Japan would hinder a wiki's database of information is utterly not excusable! I mean, seriously, the original six Final Fantasy games weren't all released in the west, and yet people managed to find out about them anyway during the early days even before Final Fantasy VII was ever first released! I also notice Fire Emblem's fanbase seems to know an awful lot about the earlier games, which weren't released outside Japan either! Apparently, a lot of people were aware of the series even before Nintendo included Marth and Roy in Super Smash Bros. Melee!

By the way, I still think series like the ever-forgotten StarTropics, Nintendo's newly-owned Glory of Heracles, and Nintendo's many one-timers from the Nintendo Entertainment System days, should all have their own wikis! I believe we can include the many one-timers in a collective wiki, and call it like the "Nintendo 8-Bit Generation Wiki" or something...

Oh, and Hotchmoney, Nintendogs games is considered to be part of the Touch! Generations franchise. It cannot have its own wiki.
This section needs some editing, but can't seem to be able to click the [edit] button.

Nobody ever believed me when I told them that if you make a collection of information of everything Nintendo, you'll get a wiki that is amazingly the size of a small, but highly-developed Wikipedia!

Offline Naesala

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: March 15, 2010, 07:59:54 PM »
what about a Dragon Quest/Warrior wiki, most of the games have been on Nintendo systems with the upcoming 10th game coming to the Wii

Offline Level 3

• F-Zero Wiki Staff
  • Hey everyone, just here to help with the effort.
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: March 15, 2010, 10:39:26 PM »
what about a Dragon Quest/Warrior wiki, most of the games have been on Nintendo systems with the upcoming 10th game coming to the Wii

keyword is most.

It should be all, not most.

Admin at the F-Zero Wiki.

Offline KidIcarus

• View Profile
« Reply #267 on: March 15, 2010, 11:03:56 PM »
I believe we can include the many one-timers in a collective wiki, and call it like the "Nintendo 8-Bit Generation Wiki" or something...

This is in the works. In the past few pages, you may have noticed us talking about a meta-wiki. In case you didn't know what that meant, it's basically going to be a wiki for franchises that don't have enough content for their own, separate wiki.

Offline Hotchmoney

• Wars Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: March 16, 2010, 03:22:10 AM »
By the way, I still think series like the ever-forgotten StarTropics, Nintendo's newly-owned Glory of Heracles, and Nintendo's many one-timers from the Nintendo Entertainment System days, should all have their own wikis! I believe we can include the many one-timers in a collective wiki, and call it like the "Nintendo 8-Bit Generation Wiki" or something...
I'd say Glory of Heracles is viable if we can find a community for it. I'd say StarTropics is too small (by which I mean it would get meta-wiki entries but not a standalone wiki), and the "many one-timers" are better fit for a meta-wiki than a seperate one.
Oh, and Hotchmoney, Nintendogs games is considered to be part of the Touch! Generations franchise. It cannot have its own wiki.
Sounds good. I think this Touch! Generations wiki could really be large, if we can get a community willing to edit it.
Contributor to Wars Wiki interested in both helping NIWA and bringing Wars Wiki into it.

Offline TANMAC43

• View Profile
« Reply #269 on: March 16, 2010, 04:41:48 AM »
Earthbound has practically a cult following it for a series only having 3 games. And if fans would actually work hard enough to translate it, it deserves a wiki. Also, what if we made a wiki for 3rd party games that are released on Nintendo consoles like Sonic, Mega Man, and Metal Gear?

Offline tacopill

• Lylat Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • csanimefan
« Reply #270 on: March 16, 2010, 03:03:39 PM »
Earthbound has practically a cult following it for a series only having 3 games. And if fans would actually work hard enough to translate it, it deserves a wiki. Also, what if we made a wiki for 3rd party games that are released on Nintendo consoles like Sonic, Mega Man, and Metal Gear?

I think that would fit under the meta-wiki area of "related games", as they really have nothing to do with each other aside from at one time being on a Nintendo console (even if that time is current).

Offline Remino52

• PRISM STARS
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: March 16, 2010, 07:08:04 PM »

We have already discussed franchises like Megaman, Sonic, and most likely Metal Gear, WON'T have their own wiki, for being 3rd Party characters and branching to be out on multiple consoles not made by Nintendo. The only exception to this is Ace Attorney (currently) where all of it's games are on Nintendo consoles, with the exception of it's minor ports.

Look for Big Red on the Phantasy Star Online Blue Burst Private Servers.

Proud supporter of NIWA Wikis!

Offline Hotchmoney

• Wars Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: March 16, 2010, 07:59:03 PM »
We have already discussed franchises like Megaman, Sonic, and most likely Metal Gear, WON'T have their own wiki, for being 3rd Party characters and branching to be out on multiple consoles not made by Nintendo. The only exception to this is Ace Attorney (currently) where all of it's games are on Nintendo consoles, with the exception of it's minor ports.
In addition to Ace Attorney, Professor Layton and Trauma Center are being considered. Generally, if the series is Nintendo-exclusive, it is eligible for inclusion. It also helps that Ace Attorney and Layton are published by Nintendo in some regions.

List update:
Agreed. Assuming anyone wants to make it, it should be eligible.

List as of now, changes in bold:

1) Franchises With an Already Aligned Wiki
  • The Legend of Zelda (Zelda Wiki)
  • Mario/Donkey Kong (Super Mario Wiki)
  • Pokémon (Bulbapedia)

2) Franchises With Wikis That Need More Growth Before Joining NIWA
  • Animal Crossing (In the works)
  • Kirby (WiKirby)
  • Metroid (Metroid Wiki)
  • Star Fox (Lylat Wiki)
  • Super Smash Bros. (Reserved by NIWA staff)
  • Wars (Wars Wiki)

3) Popular Nintendo Franchises Without Independent Wikis
  • Earthbound/Mother
  • Fire Emblem
  • Ace Attorney
  • Prof. Layton
  • Golden Sun

4) Less Important Franchises Without Wikis
  • 1080°
  • Chibi-Robo
  • Custom Robo
  • Excite
  • F-Zero
  • Game & Watch
  • Kid Icarus
  • The Legendary Starfy
  • Magical Starsign/Vacation
  • Pikmin
  • Punch-Out!!
  • Pilotwings
  • Puzzle League
  • Sin & Punishment
  • Touch! Generations/Wii (Nintendogs is merged into this)
  • Trauma Center
  • Wave Race

Offline KidIcarus

• View Profile
« Reply #273 on: March 16, 2010, 11:28:44 PM »
Methinks the number of games in a single series does not justify the size of a wiki at all! For example, there had been five official games in the Star Fox series, two cancelled games (which one has been fully leaked into the internet), with a rumour a sixth game in currently in the works, and the series has a big fandom, loads of merchandise, and additionally three characters, with several related elements, in Super Smash Bros. Brawl, and one of the characters is a veteran since the very first game. However, apparently, the Star Fox wiki on Wikia seems to have a lot less articles than the Wikia wiki about the Mother series, which only has three games by far, each one almost a decade apart!

Good point. I think a good way to see if a franchise has enough content and support for its own wiki is to look at how many articles the wikia version has. For example, Pikmin only has two games. However, it has over 1,200 article on http://pikmin.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page . This shows that it has enough content in its games to justify a wiki, and enough fans to support it. The Legendary Starfy, in contrast, has five games, but less than 200 articles. I think wikia's article account is more important than the number of games when deciding which franchises deserve a wiki.

Offline Tucayo

• Super Mario Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • MarioWiki's Shroom
« Reply #274 on: March 17, 2010, 08:49:18 PM »
We shouldn't use wikia as a reference.

Offline Remino52

• PRISM STARS
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: March 21, 2010, 04:36:24 PM »
Out of curiosity, if Touch Generations were to have its own Wiki, what articles would we have in mind? :|

Look for Big Red on the Phantasy Star Online Blue Burst Private Servers.

Proud supporter of NIWA Wikis!

Offline Hope(N Forever)

• Lylat Wiki Staff
  • Non-English Wiki Editor
    • View Profile
    • ASSAD® comixs' website
« Reply #276 on: March 24, 2010, 07:33:21 PM »

Just because Wikia is a greedy host, it doesn't mean the wikis they host are as bad as they are! Wikia hosts so many of the largest online wikis in so many particular topics!
This section needs some editing, but can't seem to be able to click the [edit] button.

Nobody ever believed me when I told them that if you make a collection of information of everything Nintendo, you'll get a wiki that is amazingly the size of a small, but highly-developed Wikipedia!

Offline Hotchmoney

• Wars Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: March 25, 2010, 12:27:32 AM »
Out of curiosity, if Touch Generations were to have its own Wiki, what articles would we have in mind? :|
Articles on every game that is labeled under the Touch Generations brand (including Nintendogs), as well as articles on the Wii series (Wii Sports, Wii Play, etc.).

Offline Archaic

• Bulbagarden Webmaster
  • Forum Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bulbagarden
« Reply #278 on: March 27, 2010, 02:05:09 AM »

Just because Wikia is a greedy host, it doesn't mean the wikis they host are as bad as they are! Wikia hosts so many of the largest online wikis in so many particular topics!

I would avoid using the word "host" when talking about a wiki on Wikia, and think more in terms of "own/run". Wikia use the terminology of "hosting" to lure financially strapped wikis in, but a proper read of their terms and conditions shows that the whole thing is a lot more insidious.

The wikis on Wikia might not in all cases be bad in terms of content, but they are most certainly complacent.

Offline Turboo

• Super Mario Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: March 27, 2010, 04:32:17 PM »
I was thinking about hosting the Ace Attorney wiki on Paper Jorge's (a MarioWiki user) domain, but he seems reluctant to help :-\