Author Topic: Alliance Requests  (Read 174050 times)

Offline Remino52

• PRISM STARS
    • View Profile
Re: Alliance Requests
« Reply #280 on: March 27, 2010, 10:18:37 PM »
I was thinking about hosting the Ace Attorney wiki on Paper Jorge's (a MarioWiki user) domain, but he seems reluctant to help :-\

Have you ever asked why?

Look for Big Red on the Phantasy Star Online Blue Burst Private Servers.

Proud supporter of NIWA Wikis!

Offline Level 3

• F-Zero Wiki Staff
  • Hey everyone, just here to help with the effort.
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: March 28, 2010, 11:32:37 PM »
I was thinking about hosting the Ace Attorney wiki on Paper Jorge's (a MarioWiki user) domain, but he seems reluctant to help :-\

you've asked him?

Admin at the F-Zero Wiki.

Offline Turboo

• Super Mario Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: March 28, 2010, 11:56:52 PM »
I've asked him before, yeah.

Offline Level 3

• F-Zero Wiki Staff
  • Hey everyone, just here to help with the effort.
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: March 29, 2010, 01:16:10 AM »
so he refused?

that's a shame.

Admin at the F-Zero Wiki.

Offline Member#36

• Striving For A Perfect NIWA Unit
  • Retired Staff
  • Kirby, My Favorite Flavor
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: March 31, 2010, 03:08:32 AM »
I know that you may want to post here like it's a chatroom, but lets try to expand our posts and stay away from one-liners.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 06:58:49 PM by Austin »

Offline Tucayo

• Super Mario Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • MarioWiki's Shroom
« Reply #285 on: April 05, 2010, 07:41:35 PM »
I know that you may want to post here like it's a chatroom, but lets try to expand our posts and stay away from one-liners.

There are differences between one-liners and other one-liners. "OK", ":P" or "tl;dr" dont bring anything to the conversation, while some posts like the ones before do help  :police:

Offline Turboo

• Super Mario Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: April 08, 2010, 02:12:01 AM »
Well, I've finally gotten the Ace Attorney Wiki up and running here.

As you can plainly see it's still a work in progress, but I'm planning to install extensions and work on content in the near future.

Offline SMB

• Super Mario Bros.
  • Super Mario Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: April 08, 2010, 03:03:19 AM »

As you can plainly see it's still a work in progress, but I'm planning to install extensions and work on content in the near future.
I am excited about this. Hopefully, it will all work out and the such. ;D

(Credit to Edofenrir for making it.)

Offline Hotchmoney

• Wars Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: April 08, 2010, 11:37:33 PM »

Looks great, I'll be sure to edit there.
Contributor to Wars Wiki interested in both helping NIWA and bringing Wars Wiki into it.

Offline Shadowcrest

• View Profile
« Reply #289 on: April 09, 2010, 12:48:25 AM »
Hello. My name is Shadowcrest, both here and at SmashWiki (http://super-smash-bros.wikia.com/wiki/User:Shadowcrest), where I am a bureaucrat. If I make any newb mistakes in this post, I preemptively apologize- my experience with forums is basically nonexistant. :P

A few weeks ago, I was contacted by Jioruji Derako (I don't know if that name means anything to anyone here- I only know he is an admin at Bulbapedia, I have no idea to what extent he is involved at NIWA), who said that there could perhaps be a way for SmashWiki to be rehosted independently of Wikia, which I'd readily support, though I'm afraid my terminology on hosting or whatever might be off a bit. (Bit of background: Jioruji and I are both admins at GuildWiki [http://guildwars.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page], which was sold out to Wikia despite the questionable legality of its sale, so I think I am safe in saying for him also that neither of us are fans of Wikia.) I got on Skype to discuss with some people that I believe were from NIWA about what could happen regarding an independent Smash Bros. wiki, though I don't recall the names of any users there, but no relevant discussion occurred and after that night it was never mentioned to me again, so I assumed the idea had fallen through and wasn't worth pursuing any further.

However, tonight it was brought to my attention by a user of WikiTroid(?) (for reasons I'll detail below) that NIWA is planning on setting up an independent Smash Bros. wiki regardless of whether or not SmashWiki(a) would be willing to support this. As a supporter of a wiki for the Smash series and since I am not-quite-so-supportive of Wikia, I would like to theoretically offer my support in such an endeavor. Many of the long-standing users of SmashWiki have a generally negative view of Wikia, since they too were also bought out (though under different circumstances), and I believe that with effort I could get many contributors to redirect their efforts to a non-Wikia wiki. However, if I were to try and assist in attempting a mass migration of sorts... what reasons would I be able to offer the users who are opposed or even on the fence about moving to persuade them it's a good idea? There are inconveniences such as requiring going through Wikia to request a CheckUser, not being able to remove bureaucrat status from other bureaucrats, not being able to grant bot status without Wikia's approval, and of course the principle of the wiki being truly run by its contributors, but I am wary that this isn't going to convince anyone to take on all the duplication of effort. Are there any other things I would be able to offer in favor of separation that I have failed to take note of? *update, see below

However, there is one issue I've had thus far with NIWA wikis: plagiarism. (Forgive me if I am lumping all NIWA wikis together unfairly.) This ties in particularly well with the duplication of effort bit. The person who pointed out to me that NIWA intended to make their own Smash wiki also pointed out more than one instance of copyright violation, either by copy+paste or paraphrasing Wikia's content. Since as far as I know all NIWA wikis are GFDL and Wikia is (now) CC-BY-SA, this is of course illegal. What level of involvement does NIWA have in their wikis? (I suppose what I am really trying to say is, "Did NIWA know that these wikis were engaging in copyright infringement and do nothing about it?") The 2 wikis I noticed this on both seemed to have taken up "official" stances against plagiarism, though I am not sure to what extent this is enforced. I suppose the main point of this paragraph is that I am seeking reassurance that NIWA does not condone in any way copyright infringement, no matter how much they oppose Wikia, and that the Smash Bros. NIWA wiki (as my primary area of interest with NIWA) will not be copying (directly or indirectly) content from SmashWiki.

I suppose I'm done with this particular wall-of-text for now. :)

Regards,
Shadowcrest

*Edit: After posting this message, I found this post by Archaic (http://www.niwanetwork.org/forums/index.php?topic=98.0), which is a pretty good list of reasons. Anyone else still have others to add?
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 01:00:34 AM by Shadowcrest »

Offline Tucayo

• Super Mario Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • MarioWiki's Shroom
« Reply #290 on: April 09, 2010, 01:38:13 AM »
Hi Shadowcrest! Thanks for getting to us.

Yes, it is true that we are planning to make a Smash Wiki, but there has also been the option of getting you out of Wikia, because you are the biggest Smash Wiki in the internet, but as I said, the only problem is you being at Wikia.

If you use IRC, you can go onto Darkmyst to #niwa and I can guarantee you that a NIWA admin will be there most of the time. Actually, many of us, MW staff go on chat on a daily basis. In fact, you can easily get there by going into th Chatroom topic in the General Discussion board (you need Java)

About the users who may oppose the move, well, I would not stop the moving for them. (That being, if they are a minory. If they are the most part, then there will be a problem). We can convince the opposers to change to an independant server, telling them how Wikia is evil and how NIWA would help you in many ways.

Plagiarism... Yes, sadly, that happened during the first articles of WiKirby and Metroid Wiki, but that problem was fastly resolved and now I can guarantee you none of the content is copied from another site.

If you need any help, please contact me, I am willing to help :police:
--Tucayo

Offline tacopill

• Lylat Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • csanimefan
« Reply #291 on: April 09, 2010, 03:50:05 AM »
Lylat Wiki has just put together a Interwiki policy to help ward off acts of plagiarism. I am currently looking for people to give me feed back on it, so if you are interested in reviewing it (or even becoming a contributor :D), please contact me. We aren't ready to go public, but we are ready for content - It's a confusing time in a wiki' life - and we need all the help we can get.

Also, i support these actions of of making the smash wiki independent. It is a very good wiki i reference often, wikia-parts sometimes withheld.  ;D

Offline Shadowcrest

• View Profile
« Reply #292 on: April 09, 2010, 11:59:03 PM »
Are plans for SmashWiki publicly available, or are they only visible to staff or whatever? I ask because I'm wondering what sorts of actions should I be taking in order to operate most effectively with the current plans; should I just start a discussion on SmashWiki about migration, or what?

Offline Tucayo

• Super Mario Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • MarioWiki's Shroom
« Reply #293 on: April 10, 2010, 01:22:37 AM »
It's being discussed with staff, but we can also discuss it publicly :)

Offline Archaic

• Bulbagarden Webmaster
  • Forum Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bulbagarden
« Reply #294 on: April 10, 2010, 04:23:13 AM »
Feel free to make a topic, if you like. Might make it easier to focus on specific issues for your wiki rather than having it either get lost amongst this thread, or ending up taking it over.

I'd like to assure you, the idea most certainly hasn't fallen through. It's just that a lot of our staff have been distracted of late. All the Bulbapedia people for starters have had the Heart Gold / Soul Silver releases to deal with.

Offline Axiomist

• Retired Staff
    • View Profile
    • WiKirby
« Reply #295 on: April 10, 2010, 11:54:50 AM »
I'm not aware of any plagiarism at WiKirby. There was a prediction of plagiarism from one of the guys, but as far as I know it wasn't done. We've been checking edits from users as much as possible and only found one newcomer copy/pasting. I honestly think it may have been one of the Wikia guys testing us to see if we'd act against it. But that was resolved right away. I know the Metroid Wiki had a huge fuss with Wikitroid over someone rampantly copy/pasting and paraphrasing. I believed that was resolved as well. We all know it happens everywhere from time to time. It's just a matter of dealing with it after the fact. I've even seen Mario Wiki messages from its early days dealing with people that pasted content from Wikia. I'm certain Bulbapedia has faced an accusation at least once. And I've dealt with a few at Zelda Wiki. But in all honesty, the plagiarism between Zelda Wiki.org and Zeldapedia has been vastly overstated bc they threw fits about any instance of articles we had that followed the most obvious layout (sectioned by game). There's only been a handful of cases in which copying was obvious, we removed it and told the editor not to do that. On the other hand, we know of several pages at Zeldapedia, in which we wrote incorrect info at Zelda Wiki.org, waited for one of their regulars to copy it and add it to Zeldapedia, then corrected our page; leaving them with incorrect bits. (Shameful, I know, but we had massive problems with them at that time.)

Anyway, a Smash Wiki would be awesome. I predict problems with this one since there's like 5 people that want to own it. Steve of Zelda Wiki.org being one of them. Nate mentioned that ZW's staff would be most supportive of anything from Steve. He created the skins for Metroid Wiki and WiKirby for free (and it's an invaluable favor), so we naturally will be obligated to support him. I'm hoping he chooses to work with everyone else expressing interest in getting the Smash Wiki started to prevent any rifts.

Offline Remino52

• PRISM STARS
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: April 15, 2010, 10:00:37 PM »
While I was searching the Ace Attorney Wiki I noticed a link to an Animal Crossing Wiki. Excuse me if this has been mentioned, but could this be a possible host for an Animal Crossing Wiki?

Look for Big Red on the Phantasy Star Online Blue Burst Private Servers.

Proud supporter of NIWA Wikis!

Offline Tucayo

• Super Mario Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • MarioWiki's Shroom
« Reply #297 on: April 15, 2010, 10:24:54 PM »
While I was searching the Ace Attorney Wiki I noticed a link to an Animal Crossing Wiki. Excuse me if this has been mentioned, but could this be a possible host for an Animal Crossing Wiki?
It may be, I will ask Jorge

Offline Naesala

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: April 21, 2010, 01:32:09 AM »
Out of curiosity, if Touch Generations were to have its own Wiki, what articles would we have in mind? :|
Articles on every game that is labeled under the Touch Generations brand (including Nintendogs), as well as articles on the Wii series (Wii Sports, Wii Play, etc.).

does that include Art Style games?

Offline Tucayo

• Super Mario Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • MarioWiki's Shroom
« Reply #299 on: April 21, 2010, 01:38:35 AM »
Out of curiosity, if Touch Generations were to have its own Wiki, what articles would we have in mind? :|
Articles on every game that is labeled under the Touch Generations brand (including Nintendogs), as well as articles on the Wii series (Wii Sports, Wii Play, etc.).

does that include Art Style games?
I think it does