7 (12.7%)
Google Chrome
18 (32.7%)
Konqueror
0 (0%)
Internet Explorer
6 (10.9%)

Total Members Voted: 38

Author Topic: Internet browsers  (Read 21602 times)

Offline TurtwigA

• Wiki editor
  • Why must the space not come?
    • View Profile
Re: Internet browsers
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2010, 01:55:41 AM »
There's definite majorities for the Firefox and Chrome users. They take 2/3 of the vote. I myself use Chrome regularly, and use Opera when I have to use my Wii. On minor occasions, I use IE.

Please give me internets! So much less bulkier than those eggs.
tg.wikkii.com-My Touch! Generations Wiki
chibirobo.wikkii.com My Chibi-Robo! Wiki

Help spread the word about the word smorent! Definition: [smohrent] adj. fluffy. In a sentence: that bear is very smorent.

Offline Miles of SmashWiki

• Sinister Trivia Villain
  • SmashWiki Staff
  • "Trying to seem mysterious is my hobby."
    • View Profile
    • AllisBrawl profile
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2010, 02:42:06 AM »
I use IE and Firefox, depending on the computer.

Srsbsns is always lurking (?_?)

Offline Jake

• Nookipedia Staff
  • Nookipedia Director / Server Admin
    • View Profile
    • Nookipedia
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2010, 05:03:03 AM »
Anything that uses webKit is fine with me.

Offline Greenpickle

• Forum Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My site
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2010, 09:08:42 AM »
Have you tried Midori?

Offline tacopill

• Lylat Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • csanimefan
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2010, 04:37:29 PM »

Offline Greenpickle

• Forum Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My site
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2010, 04:44:13 PM »
Well, I don't think it's a huge stretch of logic to infer from the post above mine that it's a browser using WebKit.

https://duckduckgo.com/Midori_%28web_browser%29

Offline tacopill

• Lylat Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • csanimefan
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2010, 08:03:02 PM »
Well, I don't think it's a huge stretch of logic to infer from the post above mine that it's a browser using WebKit.

https://duckduckgo.com/Midori_%28web_browser%29

This is true. But i am looking for a more detailed explanation. How is it different from firefox? or chrome? do you think it handles rendering of websites better than either two? etc.

Offline Greenpickle

• Forum Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My site
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2010, 08:51:13 PM »
Does Firefox render anything wrong?  And pretty much all WebKit browsers display websites the same, if they're using the same version, so it's like Chrome/Chromium there.

First, there's maybe only one other browser that uses GTK - unlike pretty much everything else, Midori looks native on my desktop.  It's also light (download size, memory), clean, fast, but still with a decent featureset.  Private browsing, add an extra frame with its own set of tabs, toolbar customisation.  Customise every keyboard shortcut.  Built-in ad-blocking, RSS reader, mouse guestures, auto-filling forms, user styles, user scripts, element inspector and development tools.

Little things you don't really see anywhere else, or at least where they're easy to find.  Things like copying URLs of all open tabs to the clipboard, switching between tabs like you would programs in most modern desktops with alt-tab (goes by recency instead of position), duplicate tab, hide text from a tab so it's only got an icon, import/export bookmarks, useragent switcher (and with some defaults to choose).  Easily assign external applications as text editor, download manager and feed reader.  Easily add custom search engines - like with Firefox, only for anything: it doesn't have to have an addon for it already.

And it's only at version 0.2.9.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2010, 08:54:51 PM by Greenpickle »

Offline tacopill

• Lylat Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • csanimefan
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2010, 08:56:38 PM »
Sweet! Nothing wrong with FF or Chrome, but it looked like you were trying to advertise the browser to us; so i was curious on what made it good and not just what they said on their site.  :eekdance:

Anyway, i am downloading it now.

Offline Greenpickle

• Forum Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My site
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2010, 09:07:44 PM »
I wasn't really advertising (I don't even use it), just wondered if anyone, really, had heard of/used it.  I've been following it for quite a while, just checking the latest version every now and then, and in the last year it's gone from very buggy and barely usable to what it is now.  I think xfce adopted it as their default browser a while back.

I've never used it on Windows, though, and it doesn't seem to be their focus, so I can't much anything about it there.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2010, 09:10:46 PM by Greenpickle »

Offline tacopill

• Lylat Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • csanimefan
« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2010, 09:41:10 PM »
I wasn't really advertising (I don't even use it), just wondered if anyone, really, had heard of/used it.  I've been following it for quite a while, just checking the latest version every now and then, and in the last year it's gone from very buggy and barely usable to what it is now.  I think xfce adopted it as their default browser a while back.

I've never used it on Windows, though, and it doesn't seem to be their focus, so I can't much anything about it there.

Yeah, i had a feeling it wasn't designed for windows when i downloaded it and i got some python scripts.....anyway, Thank you for showing it to us.

Offline Greenpickle

• Forum Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My site
« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2010, 09:48:34 PM »
...Are you sure you downloaded the right thing?  Midori isn't written in Python.  (...Is it a coincidence that Catfish, something available at the same site, is?)

Offline tacopill

• Lylat Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • csanimefan
« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2010, 01:21:24 AM »
woops....my mistake.

Correct program downloaded.

And sorry to say this, but linking to a search engine is not really helpful for me.

Offline Koroku

• Golden Sun Universe Staff
  • Wikimoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2010, 02:43:30 AM »
Used to use Opera, but switched to Chrome when it came out because I'm a Google fanboy and use everything they come out with.

(~*_*~)

Offline Zesty Cactus

• Bulbapedia Staff
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm profile
« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2010, 06:48:34 PM »
been using nothing but firefox since about 2005.

Offline Malake256

• Metroid Wiki Staff
  • It actually glows...
    • View Profile
    • Metroid Wiki Admin
« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2010, 04:37:43 AM »
Does Firefox render anything wrong?  And pretty much all WebKit browsers display websites the same, if they're using the same version, so it's like Chrome/Chromium there.

Yes, it is the cause of much frustration on Metroid Wiki. I have to satisfy myself, Chrome, and Firefox. IE, most used, I don't care about because nothing's round lol. But FF makes me mad when it doesn't do what it should to my templates...

To anyone using Internet Explorer, stop. Yes, it came with your pc, but you can download Chrome or Firefox or Opera.
Quote from: Axiomist
Friends don't let friends use IE
My Weavile Brick Breaks Blisseys :)

Offline Tina

• WikiBound Staff
    • View Profile
    • WikiBound
« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2010, 04:51:42 AM »
BFFs with Chrome! I didn't really start using it until like... hmm, I dunno, a year and a half ago. But I do remember trying it out when it first came out. Used FF before that though.

I used FF for a while on my laptop, but then I realized that even with some memory-saving extensions that it just lagged terribly even more. It's an okay browser otherwise, it's just not really for me. :\ I also may or may not have some spite for FF just because WHYYYYYY MUST YOU USE A DIFFERENT ROUNDYCORNER CODE FROM EVERYONE ELSE. That was a pain to code until I got around to implementing templates/classes for round table corners.

Chrome's compact GUI and quick loading times on startup is great since I use a netbook. Haha.
WikiBound Editor-in-Chief

Offline Greenpickle

• Forum Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My site
« Reply #37 on: November 23, 2010, 08:11:22 AM »
Does Firefox render anything wrong?  And pretty much all WebKit browsers display websites the same, if they're using the same version, so it's like Chrome/Chromium there.
Yes, it is the cause of much frustration on Metroid Wiki.
Got an example?  Because, while I don't doubt many exist, I've never come across a rendering bug in Firefox.

WHYYYYYY MUST YOU USE A DIFFERENT ROUNDYCORNER CODE FROM EVERYONE ELSE.
...Well, you can't really complain when it's still only in a draft of the specification.  They use the -moz- prefix because it's still experimental, and isn't meant to be used in production code.  This means the way it's used may still change (as I believe it has done in the past), which would break browsers already supporting border-radius entirely - once the specification for it reaches release, they'd have versions out there seeming to support the property, but doing it wrong.

Offline tacopill

• Lylat Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • csanimefan
« Reply #38 on: November 23, 2010, 05:41:31 PM »
The site has long since gone down, and firefox has recived many updates, but here is proof that firefox at one time rendered wrong.

Offline Mari-Illustrious-Makinami

• The First Children
  • Nintendo Master
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #39 on: December 27, 2010, 02:54:13 AM »
I use Google Chrome.