Author Topic: New Alliance Requests  (Read 98840 times)

Offline Naesala

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: New Alliance Requests
« Reply #120 on: December 10, 2010, 08:30:37 PM »
On the N-Wiki (http://www.niwanetwork.org/wiki) that's just launched to the public today, that's where. ;)

That's what I thought, same with other small one game series like Duck Hunt, Drill Dozer, etc?

Indeed.

Excellent! It's all falling into place...

Offline BrandedOne

• Fire Emblem Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: December 11, 2010, 02:11:27 AM »
On the N-Wiki (http://www.niwanetwork.org/wiki) that's just launched to the public today, that's where. ;)

That's what I thought, same with other small one game series like Duck Hunt, Drill Dozer, etc?

Indeed.

Excellent! It's all falling into place...

Here's a hypothetical situation - If a franchise accumulates enough articles that it could stand as a wiki on its own, would it be able to branch off of N-Wiki and form a new wiki?

Offline Jake

• Nookipedia Staff
  • Nookipedia Director / Server Admin
    • View Profile
    • Nookipedia
« Reply #122 on: December 11, 2010, 02:22:30 AM »
That would require more than 200 articles on one subject, but I'm sure it would be possible as long as there are people dedicated to the series and someone willing to set up/host the wiki.

Offline TurtwigA

• Wiki editor
  • Why must the space not come?
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: December 11, 2010, 02:23:15 AM »
First the initiative to create a wiki must take place. Then, if it joins, it'll be sort of like the Mario Wiki and Donkey Kong Wiki situation. Except, I PRESUME that N-Wiki won't cover as much about the game, now that there's the standalone wiki.

And the 200 article thing is outdated, as shown in staff discussions.

Please give me internets! So much less bulkier than those eggs.
tg.wikkii.com-My Touch! Generations Wiki
chibirobo.wikkii.com My Chibi-Robo! Wiki

Help spread the word about the word smorent! Definition: [smohrent] adj. fluffy. In a sentence: that bear is very smorent.

Offline Jake

• Nookipedia Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nookipedia
« Reply #124 on: December 11, 2010, 02:25:10 AM »
First the initiative to create a wiki must take place. Then, if it joins, it'll be sort of like the Mario Wiki and Donkey Kong Wiki situation. Except, I PRESUME that N-Wiki won't cover as much about the game, now that there's the standalone wiki.

And the 200 article thing is outdated, as shown in staff discussions.
I haven't had the chance to read through all the staff discussions. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I assume it's now that there just has to be enough content to justify the creation of a wiki.

Offline tacopill

• Lylat Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • csanimefan
« Reply #125 on: December 11, 2010, 03:33:13 AM »
I think the rule of "current wiki must approve the new wiki's inclusion" can be exempt or ignored when it comes to N Wiki;

Anyway, it might be possible for people to use N Wiki as an incubator for a wiki. 

This would be on a case-by-case basis, and would need approval from the N Wiki staff, when one is established.

Offline BrandedOne

• Fire Emblem Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: December 11, 2010, 04:03:33 AM »
Sounds good  ;D

Rather than the goal being to create new wikis (which is fine, but goes back to the "wiki for a sake of a wiki" thing), I was imagining a situation in which the articles on a particular series build up on N-Wiki over time, eventually becoming numerous enough to support a wiki by themselves.  Ah, speculation.  It's so much fun  :laugh:

Offline tacopill

• Lylat Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • csanimefan
« Reply #127 on: December 11, 2010, 05:40:45 AM »
Sounds good  ;D

Rather than the goal being to create new wikis (which is fine, but goes back to the "wiki for a sake of a wiki" thing), I was imagining a situation in which the articles on a particular series build up on N-Wiki over time, eventually becoming numerous enough to support a wiki by themselves.  Ah, speculation.  It's so much fun  :laugh:

That it is.

Any particular series you had in mind?

Offline BrandedOne

• Fire Emblem Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: December 11, 2010, 07:07:23 PM »
Sounds good  ;D

That it is.

Well, not really, but there are plenty of instances where users claim there isn't enough information about a series to make a wiki out of, and I think sometimes they might be surprised what might get written if given the chance.

Offline Maxite

• Icaruspedia Staff
  • Otaku Nut
    • View Profile
    • OtakuDeus
« Reply #129 on: December 11, 2010, 07:17:31 PM »
I'm surprised that Pikmin can support an entire wiki around itself. It's two games. Yet they managed to do it. I suspect that other series that have limited number of games can do the same, it just depends on what all they have to play with and what they agree to play with.

Offline Jake

• Nookipedia Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nookipedia
« Reply #130 on: December 11, 2010, 08:00:15 PM »
I'm surprised that Pikmin can support an entire wiki around itself. It's two games. Yet they managed to do it. I suspect that other series that have limited number of games can do the same, it just depends on what all they have to play with and what they agree to play with.
Pikmin may only have two games, but it has a lot of elements to it. Enemies, locations, strategies, Pikmin, and the story all make up over 1,200 articles on that wiki. It's really impressive to see how great a job the Pikmin wiki editors have done.

Offline tacopill

• Lylat Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • csanimefan
« Reply #131 on: December 11, 2010, 10:17:10 PM »
Sounds good  ;D

That it is.

Well, not really, but there are plenty of instances where users claim there isn't enough information about a series to make a wiki out of, and I think sometimes they might be surprised what might get written if given the chance.

Good point.

Pikmin may only have two games, but it has a lot of elements to it. Enemies, locations, strategies, Pikmin, and the story all make up over 1,200 articles on that wiki. It's really impressive to see how great a job the Pikmin wiki editors have done.

Also true.

Anyway, if we were to do this, i think we may want to go with StrategyWiki's page naming scheme, like Game name/element of game.

What do you think?

Offline Maxite

• Icaruspedia Staff
  • Otaku Nut
    • View Profile
    • OtakuDeus
« Reply #132 on: December 11, 2010, 10:24:08 PM »
I am familiar with that aspect, thus the "it just depends on what they have to play with." The Pimin games are rich in elements, so of course Pikipedia had a lot of things that they could play with. Other games might not be as diverse, but if they play their hands right they can still end up with an outstanding wiki.

Offline tacopill

• Lylat Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • csanimefan
« Reply #133 on: December 12, 2010, 07:09:11 AM »
I am familiar with that aspect, thus the "it just depends on what they have to play with." The Pimin games are rich in elements, so of course Pikipedia had a lot of things that they could play with. Other games might not be as diverse, but if they play their hands right they can still end up with an outstanding wiki.

This is true.

Now, i need to find a wiki based on an amazing one-off game.

Offline Malake256

• Metroid Wiki Staff
  • It actually glows...
    • View Profile
    • Metroid Wiki Admin
« Reply #134 on: December 13, 2010, 03:01:54 AM »
I thought GameHiker was the wiki where unwikid series would go? :/
My Weavile Brick Breaks Blisseys :)

Offline Axiomist

• Retired Staff
    • View Profile
    • WiKirby
« Reply #135 on: December 13, 2010, 04:10:28 PM »

GameHiker would be a better place to build a new wiki's content. The scope is NWiki is meant to be on the technical Nintendo stuff that few of us care to write about at FanWikis. The game pages are meant to be short, brief coverages of the game, and link to the NIWA member for the indepth coverage. So while NWiki certainly shouldn't have character, level/dungeon, item, boss pages; GameHiker does include Notable Characters, Important Items, etc. I'm certain any work to later be imported type deal could be struck with them; and I'd imagine they would retain content that falls within their scope.

« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 03:04:56 AM by Axiomist »

Offline BrandedOne

• Fire Emblem Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: December 13, 2010, 05:17:10 PM »

GameHiker would be a better place to build a new wiki's content. The scope is NWiki is meant to be on the technical Nintendo stuff that few of us care to write about at FanWikis. The game pages are meant to be short, brief coverages of the game, and link to the NIWA member for the indepth coverage. So while NWiki certainly should have character, level/dungeon, item, boss pages; GameHiker does include Notable Characters, Important Items, etc. I'm certain any work to later be imported type deal could be struck with them; and I'd imagine they would retain content that falls within their scope.

We're planning on recruiting GameHiker then, I presume? 

Offline Maxite

• Icaruspedia Staff
  • Otaku Nut
    • View Profile
    • OtakuDeus
« Reply #137 on: December 13, 2010, 06:02:00 PM »
I don't think we should be recruiting anyone until internal problems have been resolved.

Offline BrandedOne

• Fire Emblem Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: December 13, 2010, 07:43:12 PM »
I don't think we should be recruiting anyone until internal problems have been resolved.

Sounds like a fair plan. To what internal problems might you be referring?

Offline Maxite

• Icaruspedia Staff
  • Otaku Nut
    • View Profile
    • OtakuDeus
« Reply #139 on: December 13, 2010, 08:01:12 PM »
An apparent lack of organization and communication overall, and a definite lack of organization and communication with the public.