Author Topic: New Alliance Requests  (Read 93573 times)

Offline Axiomist

• Retired Staff
    • View Profile
    • WiKirby
Re: New Alliance Requests
« Reply #140 on: December 14, 2010, 03:08:20 AM »
As you stomp around NIWA, demanding change, bear in mind, the whole thing is new, less than one year old, modeled after nothing but our own ideas, and run by people dedicated to at least one other site (their wiki).  We're open to seeing specific ideas for reform and organization.

Offline tacopill

• Lylat Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • csanimefan
« Reply #141 on: December 14, 2010, 03:56:52 AM »
Also, for your information, Game hiker was invited back in May (if i remember correctly), and would probably be a member now, but they were hacked less then a week after the invite went out, in which they then disappeared afterwards.

Last i heard, they are back up now, if they feel they are ready to join, then i think we owe them a pass in, regardless of our recruitment policy at that time.

Offline Maxite

• Icaruspedia Staff
  • Otaku Nut
    • View Profile
    • OtakuDeus
« Reply #142 on: December 14, 2010, 04:35:33 AM »
If prior obligations are involved, then those would get priority over any policy changes made after. If they've been promised a spot in NIWA, then they should be able to join.

I'm also not trying to "stomp around", and I do apologize if I am. I have started putting my money where my mouth is, and I have started submitting specific ideas for reform to people.

I wish to see NIWA grow to be better than what it is now, and I am sure that is a goal that everyone here also wishes to see. I do hope that everyone can also see that certain things are lacking, and that they can be improved upon with just a modicum of effort. Maybe there should be a public post somewhere where the community as a whole can discuss problems and propose how to fix them.

Offline BrandedOne

• Fire Emblem Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: December 14, 2010, 04:46:56 AM »
As Axiomist did say, NIWA is still young, and there is plenty of time to make improvements.  I too apologize if I've overstepped my bounds.  Just as everyone else is, I'm only here because I want to see NIWA grow into something fantastic.  After this week is over I'll be editing like crazy over at Fire Emblem Wiki so that we'll be that much closer to joining.

Offline tacopill

• Lylat Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • csanimefan
« Reply #144 on: December 14, 2010, 07:49:25 AM »
If prior obligations are involved, then those would get priority over any policy changes made after. If they've been promised a spot in NIWA, then they should be able to join.

I'm also not trying to "stomp around", and I do apologize if I am. I have started putting my money where my mouth is, and I have started submitting specific ideas for reform to people.

I wish to see NIWA grow to be better than what it is now, and I am sure that is a goal that everyone here also wishes to see. I do hope that everyone can also see that certain things are lacking, and that they can be improved upon with just a modicum of effort. Maybe there should be a public post somewhere where the community as a whole can discuss problems and propose how to fix them.

I will take your suggestion, but in order for it to be as you wish it, then it is very important of whom starts the article. So please, don't anyone see this as an opportunity to start an thread before other people do. 

Offline Xizor

• Zelda Wiki Bureaucrat
  • Forum Administrator
  • Talk to me. :)
    • View Profile
    • Legend of Zelda.com
« Reply #145 on: December 14, 2010, 10:44:54 AM »
NIWA does not have internal problems. There are obviously things that need to be resolved, but we will never reach perfection and if we sat around waiting for it to happen before we started getting new members, we'd never get a new member again. In fact, getting new Wikis involved increases the inflow of ideas, and perhaps the solution to one of our problems lies in the mind of someone from a Wiki we have not yet added?

NIWA should always continue to grow, always continue to improve, never stagnate, and never be finished. Much like a Wiki itself, actually. There is always something that can be made better.

As for GameHiker, I don't think they were "promised" a spot, and even if they were, it's been a long time. They should be admitted if they want to be, and if we think they're a good addition to NIWA. I've always said that a new member should not be a drain on NIWA - other members do not need to worry about trying to hold up another member when it joins. Obviously, we help each other when we're in need AFTER joining, if an emergency arises or something, but a Wiki should not enter with the mindset of "NIWA is here to pick me up and do magic for me, and I'll just sit back and watch it happen." A certain level of quality and dedication is expected from all members, regardless of what one or a few staff member may have told a wiki such at GH in the past.

To be clear, I'm not saying we shouldn't add them. I'm simply saying we cannot add them no matter what, because we need to make sure they're good for us.

As far as a place for everybody to voice their opinions on what we can improve on, let me just say that NIWA is very, very well off, and very healthy. There are many things to fix, but overall there are no inherent flaws in our system. There were, but we underwent a massive reform effort starting in July that, of course, still continues. Of course, all ideas are welcome, but I must be very, very clear. When I make this thread, it is not an invitation to be rude, demanding, or bossy. It is an invitation to be heard. Respect is not optional. We have a staff of over thirty people, all from different communities, all with great ideas, great minds, and great talents. We are not incompetent. We are simply not perfect.

I will create such a thread and then go to bed. I have work again in about 5 hours. Hopefully this post didn't come off as impatient. I was just trying to be straightforward. :)

Bureaucrat of

Offline Maxite

• Icaruspedia Staff
  • Otaku Nut
    • View Profile
    • OtakuDeus
« Reply #146 on: December 14, 2010, 12:35:46 PM »
I'm admittedly not too good at this recruitment thing (it's been years since I've done anything similar), but has anyone tried contacting www.ranchstory.co.uk about joining NIWA? Yea, they're based off of a third party game (Harvest Moon), but it's one of the bigger titles and often gets confused for a Nintendo title.

Offline tacopill

• Lylat Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • csanimefan
« Reply #147 on: December 15, 2010, 10:03:20 PM »
My question would be, would adding them to us add to the confusion? if no, then i say we look into it. If yes, then i think it might be a dis-service to bother them and us.

Offline Maxite

• Icaruspedia Staff
  • Otaku Nut
    • View Profile
    • OtakuDeus
« Reply #148 on: December 15, 2010, 10:12:04 PM »
I think to those who are involved in the video gaming communities are less likely to be confused than the general public, and it's the ones who are involved who would primarily be of concern since they'd be the ones editing the wikis and participating in the communities. The public at large probably doesn't know the difference between Creator and Publisher.

Offline FlyingRagnar

• Dragon Quest Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • Dragon Quest Wiki
« Reply #149 on: January 13, 2011, 06:17:48 AM »
Greetings all, I thought I might chime into the discussion.  My thanks to Axiomist for pointing me to these forums.  

I am an administrator at dragon-quest.org, an independent Dragon Quest wiki which split from Wikia back in October 2010.  I have seen Dragon Quest mentioned in several other threads, and I thought I might re-open the discussion regarding our status.  Note that I am not yet asking for admission into NIWA.  I thought it would be good to first introduce myself and our wiki into the discussion.  

To be honest, we really are relatively small.  We have a large number of articles but a small articles/active editors ratio.  However, should the conditions be right in the future for a collaboration, here would be my arguments for the Dragon Quest series.

• Aside from a brief stint with Sony, it has been exclusive to Nintendo.  This brief time period can be attributed to the general abandoning of cartridges which happened with virtually all RPGs in the late 90's.
  • Nintendo has begun publishing Dragon Quest titles.  Dragon Quest IX was published last July.  Dragon Quest VI will release next month
  • Since 2005, there have been no releases on non-Nintendo systems, nor plans to do so.
  • There are rumors/plans that future Dragon Quest games will be on Nintendo consoles (Dragon Quest X on Wii, another title rumored for 3DS).

Despite these reasons, Dragon Quest is not owned and operated by Nintendo.  They are pretty much as close as you get though. ;)  I look forward to reading your thoughts/responses.

http://www.dragon-quest.org
http://www.dragon-quest.org/wiki/User:FlyingRagnar

« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 06:20:09 AM by FlyingRagnar »

Offline Axiomist

• Retired Staff
    • View Profile
    • WiKirby
« Reply #150 on: January 13, 2011, 07:17:13 AM »
Glad you came around, I'll bring everyone's attention to your post here. All of the others will need to view Dragon Quest Wiki for themselves. And weigh in on the matter. As indicated by inviting you here, I'm supportive of it. I do know the latest DQ game was published by Nintendo, so although it's not a perfectly Nintendo published series, I think DQ fits in well enough that NIWA's branding wouldn't need any alterations.

Offline Xizor

• Zelda Wiki Bureaucrat
  • Forum Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Legend of Zelda.com
« Reply #151 on: January 13, 2011, 09:13:56 AM »
I think we should definitely get some standard affiliation going, and try to help you guys improve and offer and support we can that will help prepare you to join when you feel you are ready.

Let me just say though that if you state you are not requesting membership, we will not typically offer it, regardless of the quality of your Wiki. Though there may be exceptions, I just want to clear that up so you don't sit around waiting for us to offer you something. Since you've specifically stated you do not feel ready, we will wait until you do. Until then, I hope we can help you out! :)

Bureaucrat of

Offline SuperAlpaca

• The awesomest person in the room
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #152 on: January 13, 2011, 10:18:36 PM »
Affiliation at least for the DQ wiki. It looks like a large wiki and is practically Nintendo. Is it a second party game? Not sure if that is a correct term, but if it is, would those wikis be allowed in, as they are Nintendo

Offline FlyingRagnar

• Dragon Quest Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • Dragon Quest Wiki
« Reply #153 on: January 13, 2011, 11:15:51 PM »
Dragon Quest is owned and developed by Square Enix.  To be more specific, Dragon Quest is basically what made Enix well known and successful prior to the merger with Squaresoft.

Offline Axiomist

• Retired Staff
    • View Profile
    • WiKirby
« Reply #154 on: January 13, 2011, 11:35:33 PM »
Affiliation at least for the DQ wiki. It looks like a large wiki and is practically Nintendo. Is it a second party game? Not sure if that is a correct term, but if it is, would those wikis be allowed in, as they are Nintendo

It's blurry. The latest game is as much of a Nintendo game as Pokemon and Kirby are. The way you can tell if a game is published by Nintendo is to look for their logo in the bottom right hand corner.

Offline KidIcarus

• View Profile
« Reply #155 on: January 13, 2011, 11:39:55 PM »
Dragon Quest is basically in the same position as Ace Attorney, and I think NIWA is and/or was open to an Ace Attorney Wiki.

Offline Naesala

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: January 14, 2011, 03:46:15 AM »
Yay! I love Dragon Quest games.

Offline BrandedOne

• Fire Emblem Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: January 14, 2011, 05:40:08 AM »
Dragon Quest is owned and developed by Square Enix. 

Personally, I think that pretty much says it all right there. But don't mind me. *cough* SEIWA *cough*

Offline Xizor

• Zelda Wiki Bureaucrat
  • Forum Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Legend of Zelda.com
« Reply #158 on: January 14, 2011, 06:46:47 AM »
Honestly, what's to say they could not join both? Besides, we're talking about affiliation right now. Even further, SEIWA does not exist right now. We're not discussing adding them yet, and so it doesn't really matter.

Bureaucrat of

Offline tacopill

• Lylat Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • csanimefan
« Reply #159 on: January 15, 2011, 12:51:39 AM »
yea, i think they would do well in both.

But we will discuss it when they feel they are ready.

Affiliation - Away!