Author Topic: An independent Animal Crossing wiki has launched  (Read 20140 times)

Offline Seritinajii

• Paradichlorobenzene
  • Fire Emblem Wiki Staff
  • Grammar is important!!
    • View Profile
Re: An independent Animal Crossing wiki has launched
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2010, 12:51:11 AM »
The domain's private, he said that at the end of the post. Quite a shame that we have to start from scratch...

Offline Jake

• Nookipedia Staff
  • Nookipedia Director / Server Admin
    • View Profile
    • Nookipedia
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2010, 02:22:53 AM »
The domain's private, he said that at the end of the post. Quite a shame that we have to start from scratch...
Indeed, it is. We're currently up to 19 articles out of the 98 we had before. :(

As mentioned before, the domain is (loosely) private. We're not ready for a widespread opening, but if anyone wants to help out just send me a PM for the URL. :) Otherwise, the domain will be opened on Monday or when we feel comfortable with the base setup.

Offline Metechar

• My fanmade Pokémon mascot.
  • Wow! What are all those heads?
    • View Profile
    • PokéFanon!
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2010, 02:43:36 AM »
Well the new wiki was just born, right? 19 articles is great for the first day! In no time, we will be back up to 98!

Forgot my password, and I may not ever recover it. But you never know! JUST CLICK!

Offline Jake

• Nookipedia Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nookipedia
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2010, 01:09:55 AM »
Since it is just about Monday, I figured it would be time to release additional details of our new wiki's domain and how you can help us.

You can access the new wiki here. It's address is: http://animalcrossingwiki.me/
Details about helping us restore the Google Caches can be found here. (Easier if you don't know anything about the game.)

The new main page is very much inspired from that of WikiBound, so a big thanks to the largest contributors: Tina and Tacopill. Some of you have already been helping out, which is great! We're up to 26 out of the 98 we originally had. After that, the next goal will be 200. I'm really excited to be working on the wiki again, and I can only hope that some of you will stop on by in your spare time to contribute. :)

(Also a special shout out to Steve, who will be helping us to design a fantastic skin like that of Wikirby. Thanks Steve!)
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 01:13:04 AM by Jake »

Offline Tina

• WikiBound Staff
    • View Profile
    • WikiBound
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2010, 01:43:08 AM »
Hahaha, I'm flattered that the main page is inspired by WB's! It looks great, too.

I would love to help out with the AC wiki (seeing as it's a series that I'm pretty attached to), although I'm having enough trouble as it is focusing on WikiBound. X( So many distractions, guh. Sorry. ;_;
WikiBound Editor-in-Chief

Offline Jake

• Nookipedia Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nookipedia
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2010, 02:39:31 AM »
Hahaha, I'm flattered that the main page is inspired by WB's! It looks great, too.

I would love to help out with the AC wiki (seeing as it's a series that I'm pretty attached to), although I'm having enough trouble as it is focusing on WikiBound. X( So many distractions, guh. Sorry. ;_;
Haha, no problem! I know how tough it can be to get a wiki started. (Twice in my case. :P) I wish you the best of luck with WikiBound. It looks great already, and I would definitely help out if I knew anything about Earthbound. :)

Offline Metechar

• View Profile
    • PokéFanon!
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2010, 01:38:14 PM »
Well my best friend has played through all of Earthbound and played Mother before. I don't know if he even likes wikis though...

Forgot my password, and I may not ever recover it. But you never know! JUST CLICK!

Offline Dragonfree97

• Dragon Tamer
  • I be a Rathalos
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2010, 03:46:58 PM »
Hi, I'm Dragonfree97 from animalcrossing.wikia.com - we've become fed up of wikia, and half of us have packed our bags and moved to ShoutWiki. We've not moved any of our 1,300 articles on the series, and a user called Adam posted on the talk page of a fellow administrator, a guy who goes by the name of C-Star55, about the Animal Crossing Wiki in affil. with NIWA. After a bit of research, I thought that that wiki could do with 1300 extra articles.

Just a few questions about it

1) Is it independent?
 1a) If so, who's funding it?
2) Who are the active admins of it; and
3) do you want thirteen hundred articles?

The ACW has to agree on what we're gonna decide to do, though: three options. One, stay put on Wikia, two, move to ShoutWiki, or three, ask to join you guys on animalcrossingwiki.me. Again, after looking around for a bit, I'm for option 3.

Thanks for your time.
Toast falls butter side down, right? And a cat always falls on it's feet. So what happens if we attach some toast, butter side up to the back of a cat, then drop said cat? Levitation!

Offline Jake

• Nookipedia Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nookipedia
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2010, 07:17:32 PM »
Hi, I'm Dragonfree97 from animalcrossing.wikia.com - we've become fed up of wikia, and half of us have packed our bags and moved to ShoutWiki. We've not moved any of our 1,300 articles on the series, and a user called Adam posted on the talk page of a fellow administrator, a guy who goes by the name of C-Star55, about the Animal Crossing Wiki in affil. with NIWA. After a bit of research, I thought that that wiki could do with 1300 extra articles.

Just a few questions about it

1) Is it independent?
 1a) If so, who's funding it?
2) Who are the active admins of it; and
3) do you want thirteen hundred articles?

The ACW has to agree on what we're gonna decide to do, though: three options. One, stay put on Wikia, two, move to ShoutWiki, or three, ask to join you guys on animalcrossingwiki.me. Again, after looking around for a bit, I'm for option 3.

Thanks for your time.
Hello. I'm the webmaster and head administrator at animalcrossingwiki.me. A merger with another wiki (specifically yours) is something that we have long considered. In fact, I would have eventually approached you if you hadn't posted here first. We'd be thrilled if you would be willing to merge with our wiki.

I'd like to discuss this further in private. If you don't mind, please contact me through private message here on NIWA, private message on our wiki's official forums, or at the following email address: [email protected] (Although email will be much slower than private message.)

Thank you for taking the time to register and post here. I look forward to speaking with you. :)

Offline Xizor

• Zelda Wiki Bureaucrat
  • Forum Administrator
  • Talk to me. :)
    • View Profile
    • Legend of Zelda.com
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2010, 09:06:32 PM »
For staff:

http://www.niwanetwork.org/forums/index.php?topic=464.0

Good to see you guys found us. :)

Bureaucrat of

Offline Jake

• Nookipedia Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nookipedia
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2010, 10:18:09 PM »
Merger Update
We're currently discussing the terms of the merger. More information will be announced in the coming days. :)

For staff:

http://www.niwanetwork.org/forums/index.php?topic=464.0

Good to see you guys found us. :)
I'm going to guess that it's a topic to ask if they would consider moving to an independent site? :P

Offline Tucayo

• Super Mario Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • MarioWiki's Shroom
« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2010, 10:30:56 PM »
The topic is to discuss the membership amongst the NIWA staff :)

Offline Metechar

• View Profile
    • PokéFanon!
« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2010, 01:53:51 PM »
Well right now we're at about 50 articles when you round to the nearest tenth. I'd accept the merging, but I'll leave it to the administators to allow that. I would be fine if we didn't merge so we can have more excitement in adding articles, but that's up to the admins.

Offline Metechar

• View Profile
    • PokéFanon!
Re: An independent Animal Crossing wiki has launched, erased, and restarted.
« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2010, 02:01:07 PM »
Sorry I meant "ten" not "tenth". I'm surprised how much the topic on this thread had changed. And I changed the title :P

Offline leem01

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2010, 08:39:57 AM »
Update: Merging is still taking place. I live in the same timezone as Dragonfree97 so Command (aka Jake) in America to co-ordinate times. The only way merging is would work is by breaking the wikia wiki's file down and importing them differently to prevent timeouts and session failiures. We can't wait for the merge!  ;D

Offline Volatile Dweevil

• Pikmin Fanon Staff
  • Pikipedia Staff
  • I'm known as Volatile Dweevil on all NIWA wikis.
    • View Profile
    • Volatile Dweevil's Website
« Reply #35 on: October 30, 2010, 08:43:02 AM »
Uh, I posted how Pikipedia moved on the other thread with the exact same topic, here's my idea:

I'm a bit curious: How did Pikipedia manage to accomplish their switch from Wikia? Was it using this same method, or is there a better way that we aren't aware of?

For Pikipedia, Greenpickle created a bot that transferred all of the pages and files we needed, along with their history, probably via the Special:Export and Special:Import features. The only drawback was that the file upload histories were replaced with the name of the bot, the Special:Import/Export pages don't support files, although they will include content added to file pages. Pages on Pikmin Fanon were manually imported/exported through the Import and Export pages, images were uploaded with Greenpickle's bot. I suggest using a bot for pages that do not contradict pages that already exist, and then writing a script to generate a list of contradicting pages to merge. If you want to do this, ask Greenpickle, I'm not very good with automatic stuff and whatnot.