Author Topic: Create a wiki  (Read 8784 times)

Offline Dolphinjamez

• Minecrafter
    • View Profile
Create a wiki
« on: September 10, 2010, 06:41:47 PM »
I'm having trouble creating a indepent wiki. Any ideas?  :mario:

DJ

Offline Turboo

• Super Mario Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
Re: Create a wiki
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2010, 07:04:31 PM »
Do you mean you're having trouble with selecting a subject for the wiki or getting it up and running? Your post isn't really descriptive.

Offline Yusei

• View Profile
    • Zelda Temple
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2010, 07:22:03 PM »
Do you mean you're having trouble with selecting a subject for the wiki or getting it up and running? Your post isn't really descriptive.

This.

If you are going to make a wiki, use Mediawiki software. In terms of what to do the subject on, do it on a Nintendo series you like not covered by the NIWA (if you are doing it for that). Starfox, Fire Emblem, and some others are in the works.

Offline Dolphinjamez

• Minecrafter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2010, 09:13:39 PM »

This.

If you are going to make a wiki, use Mediawiki software. In terms of what to do the subject on, do it on a Nintendo series you like not covered by the NIWA (if you are doing it for that). Starfox, Fire Emblem, and some others are in the works.
Can you explain how Media Wiki software works?

Offline Dolphinjamez

• Minecrafter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2010, 09:16:35 PM »
Cause I dunno how it works,(obviously)  :(

Offline Dolphinjamez

• Minecrafter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2010, 09:17:13 PM »

Offline Moydow

• NIWA Coordinator
  • Forum Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Fire Emblem Wiki
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2010, 09:33:04 PM »
It can take a lot, or a little explaining. To begin with, you need HTTP server software (Apache, IIS, etc), PHP software, and SQL software (MySQL, PostgreSQL). Also, at least an understanding of the PHP programming language is good. Installing the software all depends on your OS (Windows, Unix, Linux, etc). We'd need to know that before explaining further.
NIWA Coordinator

Offline Dolphinjamez

• Minecrafter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2010, 09:36:32 PM »
It can take a lot, or a little explaining. To begin with, you need HTTP server software (Apache, IIS, etc), PHP software, and SQL software (MySQL, PostgreSQL). Also, at least an understanding of the PHP programming language is good. Installing the software all depends on your OS (Windows, Unix, Linux, etc). We'd need to know that before explaining further.
I have Windows Vista

Offline Moydow

• NIWA Coordinator
  • Forum Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Fire Emblem Wiki
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2010, 09:46:52 PM »
This link will take you to the download page for Apache HTTP server. Make sure to download the MSI installer, because it's easier to install. Overall, it's easier to set up Mediawiki on Windows, because it's mostly all MSI installers right up to setting up MW itself, which is done via your browser.
NIWA Coordinator

Offline Dolphinjamez

• Minecrafter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2010, 09:50:17 PM »
This link will take you to the download page for Apache HTTP server. Make sure to download the MSI installer, because it's easier to install. Overall, it's easier to set up Mediawiki on Windows, because it's mostly all MSI installers right up to setting up MW itself, which is done via your browser.
thanks I'll see if it works

Offline Axiomist

• Retired Staff
    • View Profile
    • WiKirby
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2010, 10:16:51 PM »
I'm just guessing here, but are you the same DJ that started another Mother wiki? Our pals have this one Feel free to click on that link, vote on a name and logo for the wiki and preferably join them and help finish the setup. They need as much help as possible since so few of us played this series' games.

Offline Yusei

• View Profile
    • Zelda Temple
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2010, 11:48:32 PM »
You should get hosting (Bluehost for $6 per month) and a domain ($10 a year...$20 for two... so on and so forth). Upload it to the main directory of the hosting and create a htaccess file where you'll change it to make short urls. Pretty much everything else is self explaintory and the only files you'll need to get are the htaccess and localsettings.php file after you install.

I'm not good at explaining but eh.

Offline Metechar

• My fanmade Pokémon mascot.
  • Wow! What are all those heads?
    • View Profile
    • PokéFanon!
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2010, 05:51:07 PM »
I wouldn't know how to work it either,but I have two ideas on making it on: Animal Crossing or Perfect Dark. I never played Perfect Dark though. I just know that it's owned by Rare and Nintendo. I mean in the Japanese version of SSBM,a mine from Perfect Dark was the sensor bomb rather than the Motion Sensor Bomb from Goldeneye. But anyways,idk if a Perfect Dark wiki would be accepted on NIWA,but I'm sure Fire Emblem and Animal Crossing are! Oh! One more idea! Golden Sun anyone?  ;D

Forgot my password, and I may not ever recover it. But you never know! JUST CLICK!

Offline Seritinajii

• Paradichlorobenzene
  • Fire Emblem Wiki Staff
  • Grammar is important!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2010, 02:40:36 AM »
There's already an AC Wiki coming up, along with a Fire Emblem Wiki.

On Perfect Dark, if you've never played it, then I don't think it would be a good idea to make a wiki on it if you don't have any firsthand knowledge about it. Additionally, I'm not sure if Perfect Dark is accepted as a "Nintendo franchise", since it's been on the X-Box Live Arcade and been published by Microsoft.

Golden Sun would work, though. Have you played that?

Offline Metechar

• My fanmade Pokémon mascot.
  • Wow! What are all those heads?
    • View Profile
    • PokéFanon!
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2010, 04:24:17 PM »
Yeah I know. Animal Crossing Wiki used to be on animalcrossingforums.net, but everything was erased and now it's moved to a new domain. But I was helping out on it to get it to enough articles to join NIWA.

Forgot my password, and I may not ever recover it. But you never know! JUST CLICK!