Axiomist
2 (10.5%)
Tucayo
6 (31.6%)
Xizor
11 (57.9%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Voting closed: October 18, 2010, 11:21:24 PM

Author Topic: Leader  (Read 51799 times)

Offline SMB

• Super Mario Bros.
  • Super Mario Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
Re: Leader
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2010, 11:51:42 PM »
No problem!

(Credit to Edofenrir for making it.)

Offline tacopill

• Lylat Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • csanimefan
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2010, 11:59:40 PM »
Also, while i have really no opinion on who wins out on the leader position, i would like to offer my services to them in whatever they need.

I am interested in helping NIWA in growing and becoming it's own entity.

Offline Mandi

• Sysop at ZW.org
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2010, 12:56:23 AM »
I think that Xizor is better suited for this position. He's a fairly neutral person which I think is a quality that would be needed in order to resolve differences. I've worked with both Xizor and Ax and I've found that Ax can act really harshly with people he dislikes, and he would often oppose and purposefully disagree with the people he disliked simply for the fact that he did not like them. I'm not trying to bash Ax or be rude, but I hardly can find someone with his attitude and personality being a productive choice as a leader.

Offline Melchizedek

• Ra's al Ghul
  • Metroid Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • Zelda Informer
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2010, 02:31:59 AM »
Thanks for that Ax - so we now know that we have two people willing to be the 'leader' - though I do believe we need to think of a more appropriate title, such as 'Co-ordinator' or 'Project Manager'. What I'm not sure of is how we are going to decide upon the whom. Perhaps a vote between Xizor and Axiomist will be necessary, but the idea of a whole popularity contest makes me hesitant. I personally hope that we can unanimously decide, through discussions, which of the two is a better leader.

With that said, I'd like to reaffirm my reasoning for why I believe Xizor is more suitable for the position than Axiomist. It's nothing personal, it's about who I think has the better portfolio for the position. Firstly, is stability. Xizor has proven long-term stability and commitment to online communities, such as through LegendofZelda.com and Zelda Wiki.org. Axiomist often has week long work commitments where he cannot access the internet, which is not preferrable for someone who is to be organizing NIWA. They need to have continous access and dedication to keep everything on track.

Next is a matter of unbiasedness and vested interests. For example, I wouldn't be a good leader for NIWA because I've put so much work into what we have here today. Axiomist is pretty similar in the fact that he has put a lot of effort into what we currently have. The problem? It's what we currently have they needs to change. People with attachment/ dedication to being so involved in NIWA's founding and setting up may not be preferable for the position. Xizor has been here all along, and threads such as his reform a few months back show that he does care about NIWA. Although a person who aided in the founding and set up, he is somewhat an outsider. He can (and has) identified what NIWA's issues are and can work towards fixing them. He has an outside view to a degree, which has benefits over only inside views.

With my past work with Xizor at Zelda Wiki and here at NIWA, he is very suitable. He can communicate fine, co-ordinate - everything we need in a leader. I'm not going to make assumptions about Axiomist's leadership skills, because frankly, I haven't seen them. During our time together at Zelda Wiki.org, he demonstrated skills as a team player, but not a leader. Xizor has thoroughly demonstrated them. Lastly the leader needs to make tough decisions. They need to be respected, and wanted by the majority, but they can't always make everyone happy - like politicians. They need to be able to do what is right, not what seems good. From my dealing with Xizor, he has experience in having to lead in such a manner. Axiomist I feel cares more largely about what people will think of him, and may not always necessarily lead where is correct, over what is popular.

Overall, yes we need a leader, and either Axiomist or Xizor is better than none, but the above is why Xizor, in my opinion, is much more befitting of a NIWA leadership role. May I ask of those people that nominated Axiomist to express their detailed opinions of why they have done so and why he is more suited then Xizor for the role. Please everyone remember, more importantly than anything, this is all about what's best for NIWA, and has absolutely nothing to do with anyone's egos.

EDIT: I assume the eventually agreed upon leader will get admin rights???
« Last Edit: October 03, 2010, 03:36:10 AM by Melchizedek »

Offline SMB

• Super Mario Bros.
  • Super Mario Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2010, 03:42:13 AM »
EDIT: I assume the eventually agreed upon leader will get admin rights???
That's what I assumed as well.

Offline Justin

• Code Junkie
  • Forum Administrator
  • NIWA's official code monkey
    • View Profile
    • Zelda Wiki
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2010, 05:50:34 AM »
I was under the same impression.
~~~~
Server bureaucrat of Zelda Wiki. I fix what you break.

Also a tech administrator for Poniverse.

Offline Melchizedek

• Ra's al Ghul
  • Metroid Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • Zelda Informer
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2010, 07:21:32 AM »
Okay then, back to the 'who' and 'why'?

Offline Adam

• WiKirby Staff
  • WiKirby owner and Zelda Wiki admin
    • View Profile
    • My user page at Zelda Wiki
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2010, 08:49:02 AM »
Question: Is anyone else going to be considered for, or put themselves forward for the role? Or is it pretty much between Ax and Xizor? If so:

Perhaps a vote between Xizor and Axiomist will be necessary, but the idea of a whole popularity contest makes me hesitant. I personally hope that we can unanimously decide, through discussions, which of the two is a better leader.

Personally, I think enough's been said, and there are sufficient points in this thread for everyone to evaluate and base their decision on. While it would be ideal to all come to a unanimous decision, I think a decisive majority will be more than sufficient. All I can see happening by continuing this discussion is that it falls into repetition and we go around in circles.

Consensus is great, but a majority vote is far more efficient in getting things actually moving forwards. With that said, I move for an immediate vote (based on the initial assumption of two candidates). If there are no objections, I'll post a poll later on today.

Offline Xizor

• Zelda Wiki Bureaucrat
  • Forum Administrator
  • Talk to me. :)
    • View Profile
    • Legend of Zelda.com
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2010, 09:37:30 AM »
I think it'd be best if we let a few more people weigh in and state if they even want a Leader of this nature at all. I think making a poll at this point is a bit hasty. We've lasted this long without a Leader. I think we can spare a few more days to just take our time with it.

Bureaucrat of

Offline Melchizedek

• Ra's al Ghul
  • Metroid Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • Zelda Informer
« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2010, 11:59:35 AM »
I think I agree that a poll is the way to go for decisiveness, but also that we should hold off a bit longer. I've said plenty in here, but I know people (myself included) are wanting Archaic's input into this topic, due to him being a founder, owner and original conceptualizer of NIWA. He is after all, the closest current person we have to a 'leader'.

Question: Is anyone else going to be considered for, or put themselves forward for the role? Or is it pretty much between Ax and Xizor?

Those two are the only two who have strongly stood out amongst the voice of the community as people 'nominated' for the role from what I have seen. Other names were mentioned briefly in the Skype chat, but were uninterested in the position.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2010, 12:02:44 PM by Melchizedek »

Offline Tucayo

• Super Mario Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • MarioWiki's Shroom
« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2010, 12:19:37 AM »
I have something to say... Wasn't Archaic the leader?

Offline Adam

• WiKirby Staff
  • WiKirby owner and Zelda Wiki admin
    • View Profile
    • My user page at Zelda Wiki
« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2010, 07:51:13 AM »
I have something to say... Wasn't Archaic the leader?

Yes, Archaic is still the de facto "leader" as far as I'm (and I'm sure many others are) concerned.

Ideally a less ambiguous and more specific term should've been chosen before posting this topic. What we're discussing is someone who could be termed an arbiter/arbitrator/adjudicator. Someone to mediate discussions, and guide them towards consensus and resolution, and then ensure that the agreed action is taken. You know, all the things that aren't happening at the moment  :P

Offline Melchizedek

• Ra's al Ghul
  • Metroid Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • Zelda Informer
« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2010, 08:55:15 AM »
Well, I'm not sure if everybody is happy to move ahead with the poll yet - but not much is really happening with the thread just sitting here. It seems not much more is left to add. Archaic should be aware of its presence due to the IMs and PMs sent to him by now.

Offline Tucayo

• Super Mario Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • MarioWiki's Shroom
« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2010, 07:52:24 PM »
Let's wait for Archaic to input something

Offline Archaic

• Bulbagarden Webmaster
  • Forum Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bulbagarden
« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2010, 09:03:29 PM »
You'll have to wait a little longer sorry, until the weekend. I'm swamped right now with my thesis, with a deadline on a part this Friday that I'm going to struggle to meet. Haven't been able to read everything in full.

Offline Tucayo

• Super Mario Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • MarioWiki's Shroom
« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2010, 09:12:22 PM »
Don't worry, we have time, and this is a decision we shouldn't rush

Offline SMB

• Super Mario Bros.
  • Super Mario Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 04, 2010, 10:03:51 PM »
Do you guys think Tucayo would be a good adjudicator? Of course I'm not trying to say Xizor and Axiomist aren't qualified, because they seem like they could be suited for the job, but I would like to get thoughts.

I've known Tucayo for a year. He has been a great leader in the community; holding numerous staff positions at the Super Mario Wiki (former Patroller, current Sysop, former 'Shroom director, current 'Shroom sub-director, and chat operator), WiKirby staff (he's listed as an "Ambassador"), NIWA forum administrator, and Userpedia (kind of related to the SMW community) sysop.

All that said, I've seen him work not only as a leader, but also as a team-player. When he went on hiatus just a few months ago, he stuck around to give input on SMW issues and NIWA issues. I've seen him on the NIWA forum almost every single day since it began, and he has been consistent in giving his opinions and accepting other opinions. If somebody comes up with an idea that he might not agree with, he doesn't discredit them outright and say their idea is worthless; whether or not he ends up agreeing with the other side or not, he listens to them and considers their points carefully and thoroughly.

He's a great leader and a great team player. He's kind and courteous to all that he works with; I know many people that have been rude to him and that he has responded with nothing less than respectfulness. He has put a lot of care and effort into helping out over here at NIWA; I think he would certainly be able to extend his help and service further if he is given this opportunity.

That all said, I'm sure you all know who I support now. Once again, I wish no hard feelings to Xizor or Axiomist. I feel all of you are qualified; it's just that Tucky is the nominee that I have worked most with and have seen him in action. I feel he should be given mention and consideration before this goes up on to some poll for voting.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2010, 10:05:24 PM by SMB »

Offline Tucayo

• Super Mario Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • MarioWiki's Shroom
« Reply #37 on: October 05, 2010, 01:10:30 AM »
Wow, I feel flattered :)

I would be more than glad to receive this honor, of course, if you want me to.

I have been working on NIWA since its first days, I know it from the base, I know the history, and also, I know the community

Offline Xizor

• Zelda Wiki Bureaucrat
  • Forum Administrator
  • Talk to me. :)
    • View Profile
    • Legend of Zelda.com
« Reply #38 on: October 09, 2010, 08:56:10 AM »
I just want to make sure we don't forget this ongoing discussion. Does anybody else have anything to add?

Bureaucrat of

Offline Tucayo

• Super Mario Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • MarioWiki's Shroom
« Reply #39 on: October 09, 2010, 03:24:27 PM »
I think Archaic was going to say something