Author Topic: Suggestions  (Read 235399 times)

Offline Miles of SmashWiki

• Sinister Trivia Villain
  • SmashWiki Staff
  • "Trying to seem mysterious is my hobby."
    • View Profile
    • AllisBrawl profile
Re: Suggestions
« Reply #360 on: January 20, 2011, 02:55:30 AM »
I am asking for opinions, lol.  It would help to know if SmashWiki's talking nonsensical jargon in most people's eyes.

Srsbsns is always lurking (?_?)

Offline Xizor

• Zelda Wiki Bureaucrat
  • Forum Administrator
  • Talk to me. :)
    • View Profile
    • Legend of Zelda.com
« Reply #361 on: January 20, 2011, 04:44:40 AM »
I understand, I'm just saying for the sake of this discussion and future ones. ;)

Bureaucrat of

Offline Reboot

• View Profile
« Reply #362 on: January 28, 2011, 12:31:16 AM »
I am asking for opinions, lol.  It would help to know if SmashWiki's talking nonsensical jargon in most people's eyes.
There is a fair amount of that. It's why I've spent a lot of time trying to replace terms like "nair" and "dair", which I was completely lost by at first - "Neutral aerial" and "down aerial" aren't the best of terms, but at least there's SOME hope of figuring them out from context. Or to put it another way - if I asked someone who plays SSBB casually what they thought of Link's "fair" attack, not in a million years would they realise it meant an aerial attack in the direction the character is facing without further explanation or many guesses.

There really is too much of that. "Tilt" isn't a particuarly intuitive name either, even with modifiers...

• SmashWiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • AllisBrawl profile
« Reply #363 on: January 28, 2011, 12:36:08 AM »
There is a fair amount of that. It's why I've spent a lot of time trying to replace terms like "nair" and "dair", which I was completely lost by at first - "Neutral aerial" and "down aerial" aren't the best of terms, but at least there's SOME hope of figuring them out from context. Or to put it another way - if I asked someone who plays SSBB casually what they thought of Link's "fair" attack, not in a million years would they realise it meant an aerial attack in the direction the character is facing without further explanation or many guesses.

There really is too much of that. "Tilt" isn't a particuarly intuitive name either, even with modifiers...

Blame the Melee tournament community for locking these in as the community-accepted terms. :/

Offline Reboot

• View Profile
« Reply #364 on: January 28, 2011, 01:27:42 AM »
Blame the Melee tournament community for locking these in as the community-accepted terms. :/
I suppose that goes back to the apparent reason why T.W. wanted a "basic smashwiki" - is SmashWiki intended exclusively for the tournament community? If it isn't, then just saying "there's a glossary" (IS there even one?) isn't enough - any reader fluent in the English language should be able to basically follow every page and glean useful information from it without reference to any other page, with everything obvious enough for that much from the context. Whereas lots of SmashWiki is impenetrable to the casual reader without a whole bunch of prior knowledge (for a particularly bad example, see http://www.ssbwiki.com/Zelda_%28SSBM%29#Combos - I didn't put the cleanup tag on it, but I fully agree with the sentiment), and that's the definition of "too much jargon".

Also, the Smasher: namespace seems half-baked, literally. Why did the individual players get moved out of the mainspace, but the "crew", tournament, etc articles didn't? Either the Smasher: namespace should encompass them too (which would be my preferred suggestion), or there should be another namespace or namespaces for them.

• SmashWiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • AllisBrawl profile
« Reply #365 on: January 28, 2011, 02:17:41 AM »
I suppose that goes back to the apparent reason why T.W. wanted a "basic smashwiki" - is SmashWiki intended exclusively for the tournament community? If it isn't, then just saying "there's a glossary" (IS there even one?) isn't enough - any reader fluent in the English language should be able to basically follow every page and glean useful information from it without reference to any other page, with everything obvious enough for that much from the context. Whereas lots of SmashWiki is impenetrable to the casual reader without a whole bunch of prior knowledge (for a particularly bad example, see http://www.ssbwiki.com/Zelda_%28SSBM%29#Combos - I didn't put the cleanup tag on it, but I fully agree with the sentiment), and that's the definition of "too much jargon".

Oh dear god that's horrifying.  In any case, cases like that should be marked by the usage of Template:Jargon, which I just made.

Also, the Smasher: namespace seems half-baked, literally. Why did the individual players get moved out of the mainspace, but the "crew", tournament, etc articles didn't? Either the Smasher: namespace should encompass them too (which would be my preferred suggestion), or there should be another namespace or namespaces for them.

That namespace is a leftover from SmashWiki's original days as an independent wiki with Smashboards.   I think right now we'd be better off jettisoning the whole thing and starting it from scratch to ensure its quality than spending the incredible amounts of time to determine who's really notable and who isn't.  (I think crew pages should, with few exceptions, be deleted altogether, and tournament articles are similarly questionable.)

Offline Reboot

• View Profile
« Reply #366 on: January 28, 2011, 02:47:12 AM »
Oh dear god that's horrifying.  In any case, cases like that should be marked by the usage of Template:Jargon, which I just made.
Shouldn't it sort into a jargon-specific subcategory of the main cleanup category?

That namespace is a leftover from SmashWiki's original days as an independent wiki with Smashboards.   I think right now we'd be better off jettisoning the whole thing and starting it from scratch to ensure its quality than spending the incredible amounts of time to determine who's really notable and who isn't.  (I think crew pages should, with few exceptions, be deleted altogether, and tournament articles are similarly questionable.)
I entirely agree (and if anyone DISagrees, point them at http://www.ssbwiki.com/Category:Smasher_stubs ).

I'm less-than-sure there'd be consensus for it, unfortunately, but the first [non-controversial] step would be to purge broken and unused redirects from the mainspace to the Smasher: namespace anyway, to help get [[Special:Allpages]] under some sort of control.

I've just put the twelve broken mainspace->Smasher:space redirects up for speedy deletion. Hunting down unused main->Smasher: redirects will take longer, but I'd be willing to help look if you'd be willing to delete them.

• SmashWiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • AllisBrawl profile
« Reply #367 on: January 28, 2011, 03:18:15 AM »
Shouldn't it sort into a jargon-specific subcategory of the main cleanup category?

I entirely agree (and if anyone DISagrees, point them at http://www.ssbwiki.com/Category:Smasher_stubs ).

I'm less-than-sure there'd be consensus for it, unfortunately, but the first [non-controversial] step would be to purge broken and unused redirects from the mainspace to the Smasher: namespace anyway, to help get [[Special:Allpages]] under some sort of control.

I've just put the twelve broken mainspace->Smasher:space redirects up for speedy deletion. Hunting down unused main->Smasher: redirects will take longer, but I'd be willing to help look if you'd be willing to delete them.

Why would you need to delete those?  I assume they're there for searching reasons.

Offline TurtwigA

• Wiki editor
  • Why must the space not come?
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: January 28, 2011, 11:37:08 PM »
I have a suggestion for a new user group on these forums, known as former wiki staff. Now I'm not suggesting this be for some staff who've done so many horrible things, I'm suggesting this for those who actually helped the wiki a lot and never had any real downfall. Basically just a select few would have the user group, and they'd only be able to access the wiki staff forums and post there.

I also think that there should also be a new user group for those who reach 5000 posts, because I'm pretty sure it'll happen one day.

Please give me internets! So much less bulkier than those eggs.
tg.wikkii.com-My Touch! Generations Wiki
chibirobo.wikkii.com My Chibi-Robo! Wiki

Help spread the word about the word smorent! Definition: [smohrent] adj. fluffy. In a sentence: that bear is very smorent.

Offline Nintendoguy1

• Marioguy1
  • Super Mario Wiki Staff
  • It's a beautiful country.
    • View Profile
    • Userpedia
« Reply #369 on: January 29, 2011, 07:07:54 PM »
For the staff one we could easily set a staff membergroup as secondary, they'd be able to get into the staff boards without being considered staff.

And for the other thing, I think so too. Plus, adding a 5,000 membergroup encourages people to try to reach 5,000 posts.

(see that's why Edofenrir is awesome)

Offline KidIcarus

• View Profile
« Reply #370 on: January 29, 2011, 09:23:50 PM »
Is it possible that NIWA allows the trading and/or selling (for niwa credits) of the collectible cards in NIWA's credit gambling system?

Offline tacopill

• Lylat Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • csanimefan
« Reply #371 on: January 30, 2011, 03:24:07 AM »
And for the other thing, I think so too. Plus, adding a 5,000 membergroup encourages people to try to reach 5,000 posts.

I now have a goal in life.
Is it possible that NIWA allows the trading and/or selling (for niwa credits) of the collectible cards in NIWA's credit gambling system?

I recommend talking to Neo, NIWA's coding monkey. He set up the card game and the other fancy features, as far as i know.

Offline Justin

• Code Junkie
  • Forum Administrator
  • NIWA's official code monkey
    • View Profile
    • Zelda Wiki
« Reply #372 on: January 30, 2011, 03:25:15 AM »
That would be complicated, but I could look into it. It may take awhile, though.
~~~~
Server bureaucrat of Zelda Wiki. I fix what you break.

Also a tech administrator for Poniverse.

Offline KidIcarus

• View Profile
« Reply #373 on: January 30, 2011, 04:19:40 AM »
That would be complicated, but I could look into it. It may take awhile, though.

Oh okay, it's not so important that it would warrant an overhaul of the system. It just would have been nice to see if it were something that could be easily implemented.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 05:07:43 PM by KidIcarus »

Offline Volatile Dweevil

• Pikmin Fanon Staff
  • Pikipedia Staff
  • I'm known as Volatile Dweevil on all NIWA wikis.
    • View Profile
    • Volatile Dweevil's Website
« Reply #374 on: January 30, 2011, 05:32:17 AM »
I'm not to load anyone up with a huge amount of work, but it would be nice to see NIWA cards for the franchises of some of the newer wikis, too.

Offline Nintendoguy1

• Marioguy1
  • Super Mario Wiki Staff
  • It's a beautiful country.
    • View Profile
    • Userpedia
« Reply #375 on: February 02, 2011, 09:14:36 PM »
Neo's just our coding monkey, our drawing monkey is Edo, talk to him about that.

But if Edo's overworked, all of the sites have an image namespace...except bulbapedia

(see that's why Edofenrir is awesome)

Offline tacopill

• Lylat Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • csanimefan
« Reply #376 on: February 06, 2011, 06:42:59 AM »
with the amount of usage the images get on bulbapedia, it is justified that their stuff is set up differently.

Offline Naesala

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: February 21, 2011, 02:49:09 AM »
Why can't a have a four letter username?

Offline tacopill

• Lylat Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • csanimefan
« Reply #378 on: February 21, 2011, 03:25:05 AM »

who is "a"?

also, there maybe a minimum amount of letters in a username.

Offline Naesala

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: February 21, 2011, 03:36:00 AM »

who is "a"?

also, there maybe a minimum amount of letters in a username.

A very strange typo, and why must there be a 5 letter minimum?