Author Topic: Suggestions  (Read 233814 times)

Offline KidIcarus

• View Profile
Re: Suggestions
« Reply #260 on: October 21, 2010, 09:34:19 PM »
Is it possible to create a wiki that incorporates the articles of all the other wikis? Basically an all-inclusive Nintendo-wiki so that I could enter something into the search bar and articles from any sub-wiki could show up?

Offline Axiomist

• Retired Staff
    • View Profile
    • WiKirby
« Reply #261 on: October 21, 2010, 10:10:15 PM »
You can create your own custom search bar for Firefox at least. Others could download it too. All you do is add the sites you want it to search and it'll search all of those and possibly others.. It's been a while since I've done it.

Offline Archaic

• Bulbagarden Webmaster
  • Forum Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bulbagarden
« Reply #262 on: October 21, 2010, 10:12:19 PM »
Is it possible to create a wiki that incorporates the articles of all the other wikis? Basically an all-inclusive Nintendo-wiki so that I could enter something into the search bar and articles from any sub-wiki could show up?

Something like that may be down the pipeline in the future, however it would work by redirecting you to that source wiki and its article, rather than actually displaying an article directly.

Offline KidIcarus

• View Profile
« Reply #263 on: October 22, 2010, 02:43:47 AM »
Yeah, that's basically what I'm talking about. It's nice to know that it's being looked into, and I'll definitely be looking forward to it.

Offline Scarred Sun

• View Profile
    • Sega Retro
« Reply #264 on: October 24, 2010, 06:23:59 PM »
http://www.segaretro.org/Main_Page
I just approached them about working with NIWA.

o hi der

In all honesty, I have to say I agree somewhat with those who were talking earlier about the relative segregation of the network--there's something inherently strange about a Sega site being part of a Nintendo network.

Besides, doing so would imply that all that 90s advertising about the two companies being arch-rivals would be wrong.

Offline tacopill

• Lylat Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • csanimefan
« Reply #265 on: October 24, 2010, 07:17:22 PM »
i agree.... but what about a Sega-based NIWA-like organization?

Offline Axiomist

• Retired Staff
    • View Profile
    • WiKirby
« Reply #266 on: October 24, 2010, 07:53:15 PM »

o hi der

In all honesty, I have to say I agree somewhat with those who were talking earlier about the relative segregation of the network--there's something inherently strange about a Sega site being part of a Nintendo network.

Besides, doing so would imply that all that 90s advertising about the two companies being arch-rivals would be wrong.

Glad you came Scarred Sun! I was getting worried that it would be a lost cause. In any case, We know there's Sega Retro, Sonic Retro, and SonicTheWiki... not sure of any other Sega-based Wikis (Super Monkey Ball, Ecco, etc) out there, but I'll bet some of the Dreamcast RPG series have strong followings. I think you would be the best person to organize a Sega Wiki Network, which could be an affiliate of NIWA. I'd imagine it would be easier to expand the SGNW than to create something new.

As far as NIWA's involvement in it, I'd imagine people that play those titles and ports on the Nintendo consoles would be pleased to cross over and edit. But I think we'd all agree that NIWA wouldn't have any control there.  We'd help you out where possible, general wiki stuffs, traffic, etc. I'm thinking if we schedule monthly roundtable discussions among the two groups we could keep an non-intrusive distance and still have a mutually beneficial partnership.

Offline Scarred Sun

• View Profile
    • Sega Retro
« Reply #267 on: October 29, 2010, 02:39:30 PM »

o hi der

Glad you came Scarred Sun! I was getting worried that it would be a lost cause. In any case, We know there's Sega Retro, Sonic Retro, and SonicTheWiki... not sure of any other Sega-based Wikis (Super Monkey Ball, Ecco, etc) out there, but I'll bet some of the Dreamcast RPG series have strong followings. I think you would be the best person to organize a Sega Wiki Network, which could be an affiliate of NIWA. I'd imagine it would be easier to expand the SGNW than to create something new.

As far as NIWA's involvement in it, I'd imagine people that play those titles and ports on the Nintendo consoles would be pleased to cross over and edit. But I think we'd all agree that NIWA wouldn't have any control there.  We'd help you out where possible, general wiki stuffs, traffic, etc. I'm thinking if we schedule monthly roundtable discussions among the two groups we could keep an non-intrusive distance and still have a mutually beneficial partnership.

The main problem with doing anything Sega and wiki-related is that, as a whole, the Sega community is nowhere near as organized as the Nintendo community, and there's a variety of reasons behind that. SGNW is basically those of us who haven't let their site rot into obscurity. That's about all that connects us. That, and what wikis do exist are almost always farmed.

That being said, I'd at least be happy to meet with you guys occasionally, as it seems I've been doing this Mediawiki nonsense for far longer than most of you (6 years!) and at least may be able to help you out if needed.

Offline tacopill

• Lylat Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • csanimefan
« Reply #268 on: October 29, 2010, 05:15:22 PM »
well, it takes many years to get organized like it was before niwa; with the creation of niwa, we have intensified those connections and expanded out towards new ones.

Are there any other sega-wikis you are aware of? if not, what sega franchises would you think would be suitable for a wiki?

Offline TurtwigA

• Wiki editor
  • Why must the space not come?
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: November 04, 2010, 01:58:20 AM »
Don't know if this has been suggested, but a gaming forum of sorts for things like Werewolf/Mafia and games such as the one where you corrupt wishes. Maybe a subforum of the lounge?

Please give me internets! So much less bulkier than those eggs.
tg.wikkii.com-My Touch! Generations Wiki
chibirobo.wikkii.com My Chibi-Robo! Wiki

Help spread the word about the word smorent! Definition: [smohrent] adj. fluffy. In a sentence: that bear is very smorent.

Offline Tucayo

• Super Mario Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • MarioWiki's Shroom
« Reply #270 on: November 04, 2010, 02:06:34 AM »
That is not something we have planned at the moment.

Offline tacopill

• Lylat Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • csanimefan
« Reply #271 on: November 04, 2010, 02:08:35 AM »
That is not something we have planned at the moment.

not planned, but could it be done?

Offline KidIcarus

• View Profile
« Reply #272 on: November 04, 2010, 02:20:47 AM »
Don't know if this has been suggested, but a gaming forum of sorts for things like Werewolf/Mafia and games such as the one where you corrupt wishes. Maybe a subforum of the lounge?

I like this idea. I got into this game when a couple of my friends taught it to me earlier this year. It's really fun, and I'd love to play it with the rest of the NIWA Community.

It shouldn't be too hard. A Child Board could be created, and the players could set it up themselves.

Offline Tucayo

• Super Mario Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • MarioWiki's Shroom
« Reply #273 on: November 04, 2010, 02:28:08 AM »
I will bring that up to the rest of the staff

Offline Naesala

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: November 13, 2010, 01:16:46 AM »
how about a more interesting rank system? Jr member, member, Sr member is boring

Offline TurtwigA

• Wiki editor
  • Why must the space not come?
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: November 13, 2010, 01:58:18 AM »
Is anything ever going to be done with the Lottery section of the shop? Right now, it hasn't actually been used.
how about a more interesting rank system? Jr member, member, Sr member is boring
There's actually more beyond that. Hero Member and Nintendo Master go beyond Sr. Member. I think Hero Member is gained at 1,000 posts and Nintendo Master is gained at 10,000.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2010, 02:00:23 AM by TurtwigA »

Please give me internets! So much less bulkier than those eggs.
tg.wikkii.com-My Touch! Generations Wiki
chibirobo.wikkii.com My Chibi-Robo! Wiki

Help spread the word about the word smorent! Definition: [smohrent] adj. fluffy. In a sentence: that bear is very smorent.

Offline Tucayo

• Super Mario Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • MarioWiki's Shroom
« Reply #276 on: November 13, 2010, 04:39:32 PM »
Actually Hero is at 500 and Nintendo master at 1,000

You can suggest ranks if you want

Also, about the lottery, it is broken, it looks

Offline tacopill

• Lylat Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • csanimefan
« Reply #277 on: November 13, 2010, 05:25:23 PM »
sweet, i'm only 162 161 away from being a master.

Offline Naesala

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: November 13, 2010, 05:37:03 PM »
sweet, i'm only 162 161 away from being a master.

I remember when you were only 100 posts above me

Offline tacopill

• Lylat Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • csanimefan
« Reply #279 on: November 13, 2010, 11:15:38 PM »
yea, good times. good times.

842!