Author Topic: Wikkii.com seems alright  (Read 30570 times)

Offline KidIcarus

• View Profile
Wikkii.com seems alright
« on: October 23, 2010, 08:19:59 PM »
I am starting a Kid Icarus Wiki, but it will not initially start independently. I plan to start on a wikifarm to save myself some money. After all, the first couple months of a wiki will just be getting it on its feet. After the first few months, I will break away from the wikifarm and seek NIWA affiliation/membership. From prior experience, which wikifarm would you suggest as far as transferring with ease is concerned?

Edit: See post 3 for second part of topic.

Edit 2: The title of this thread originally asked which wiki farms handle exporting the best. The focus has sort of changed to evaluating Wikkii.com. I'm just saying this in case anyone is trying to follow this thread.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 03:27:44 PM by vince220 »

Offline Axiomist

• Retired Staff
    • View Profile
    • WiKirby
Re: Which wikifarms handle exporting the best?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2010, 05:46:46 PM »
Ideally you'd want something that would let you delete your wiki when you move. If you work on Wikia, they would keep your work, so you'd be building your own competitor. There's talk of some extra hosting space going on around here, so I'll see if any of them can look at this topic.

Offline KidIcarus

• View Profile
Re: Which wikifarms handle exporting the best?
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2010, 07:01:08 PM »
Ideally you'd want something that would let you delete your wiki when you move. If you work on Wikia, they would keep your work, so you'd be building your own competitor. There's talk of some extra hosting space going on around here, so I'll see if any of them can look at this topic.

Yes, that would be great if I could get some hosting space here, but I also found a site called wikkii.com. Unlike Wikia, it really lets the creator do whatever he or she wishes.

Its also very decentralized. For example, each wiki it hosts requires separate membership. If I'm not mistaken, wikia has you use one account for all wikias you want to edit. Basically, each wiki is independent of wikkii and all of wikkii's other sub-sites. The only connection is that they host it - and of course the domain name. They don't really monitor content or pressure owners into decisions. If you look at their wikis, you will notice that they don't even brand their name anywhere except for on a small banner in the bottom left corner.

I'm not too worried about wikkii ''taking over'' my wiki, but hosting on NIWA is still something I would appreciate.

P.S. Here's my wiki: http://kidicarus.wikkii.com/wiki/Main_Page . It is less than a day old which is why it is so empty. Here is an example of an established wiki on wikkii: http://gintama.wikkii.net/wiki/Gintama_%E9%8A%80%E9%AD%82 . You can barely tell it's part of a ''wiki farm''.

Offline Level 3

• F-Zero Wiki Staff
  • Hey everyone, just here to help with the effort.
    • View Profile
Re: Which wikifarms handle exporting the best? AKA Wikkii.com seems alright
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2010, 11:36:05 PM »
It looks good, honestly.
Great place to start off.

Admin at the F-Zero Wiki.

Offline TurtwigA

• Wiki editor
  • Why must the space not come?
    • View Profile
Re: Which wikifarms handle exporting the best? AKA Wikkii.com seems alright
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2010, 08:41:35 PM »
Wikkii actually is a great place to start. When I created two wikis on it, I saw that it's possible to lock the wiki if you're a bureaucrat. Therefore, if you move off the site into your own domain, you can lock the old wiki. Even bureaucrats can't edit the wiki then, and you can, before you lock it after moving, put a note that it moved. Because there's no adoption thing like Wikia, it's permanently locked and therefore closed. Way better than just building a competitor.

Please give me internets! So much less bulkier than those eggs.
tg.wikkii.com-My Touch! Generations Wiki
chibirobo.wikkii.com My Chibi-Robo! Wiki

Help spread the word about the word smorent! Definition: [smohrent] adj. fluffy. In a sentence: that bear is very smorent.

Offline Gambler

• View Profile
Re: Wikkii.com seems alright
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2010, 02:49:28 PM »
I remember when Wikia started, it was a lot better than what it is nowadays. Heck, even I had a wikia (2 actually) for a time untill real life caught up with me. Anyways, let's hope that wikkii won't turn like wikia V. 2.0 in a couple of years.

Offline tacopill

• Lylat Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • csanimefan
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2010, 07:30:37 PM »
Well, it is said in History classes all empire's enter a climax phase where, at the end of it, they sacrifice something internal in the name of longevity. As an example, look at the romans, at the end of their highest age, they decided to hire outside forces for protection; making loyal romans jealous.

For Wikia, it appears it was there Monaco skin. Whether they were high on their own nostalgia or their good times, corporate arrogance, or whatever; their new skin has exposed their internally rotting empire, and now we watch as it breaks apart into fragments, succumb to invading forces (spam) and ulitamilty foldin on itself.

Offline SnorlaxMonster

• Bulbapedia Staff
  • Bulbapedia bureaucrat, Zelda Wiki administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2010, 04:39:59 AM »
Well, it is said in History classes all empire's enter a climax phase where, at the end of it, they sacrifice something internal in the name of longevity. As an example, look at the romans, at the end of their highest age, they decided to hire outside forces for protection; making loyal romans jealous.

For Wikia, it appears it was there Monaco skin. Whether they were high on their own nostalgia or their good times, corporate arrogance, or whatever; their new skin has exposed their internally rotting empire, and now we watch as it breaks apart into fragments, succumb to invading forces (spam) and ulitamilty foldin on itself.
That sounds like the plot to a movie (which will be made in 10-30 years).

Offline tacopill

• Lylat Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • csanimefan
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2010, 04:55:26 AM »

That sounds like the plot to a movie (which will be made in 10-30 years).

NIWA vs. Wikia, the Movie: an epic retailing of David vs. Goliath that took place entirely on the internet.

Offline Maxite

• Icaruspedia Staff
  • Otaku Nut
    • View Profile
    • OtakuDeus
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2010, 02:28:49 AM »
I'm working on slowly building up a wiki on Wikkii. Don't have much (okay, hardly anything) up yet, but I'm trying to create a useful way to lay out the info.  If anyone is interested in Rune Factory, then you can try it at www.harvestrune.com or http://harvestrune.wikkii.com/wiki/Main_Page

From what I can see, it is a nice little ground for setting up a wiki.

Offline tacopill

• Lylat Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • csanimefan
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2010, 05:24:59 AM »
I'm working on slowly building up a wiki on Wikkii. Don't have much (okay, hardly anything) up yet, but I'm trying to create a useful way to lay out the info.  If anyone is interested in Rune Factory, then you can try it at www.harvestrune.com or http://harvestrune.wikkii.com/wiki/Main_Page

sweet. Good luck with it.

Offline Koroku

• Golden Sun Universe Staff
  • Wikimoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2010, 05:40:10 AM »

Wah! Don't wikifarm it! If you need a host, I'll do it~~~

I was thinking of talking to the Wikia site at some point anyways...
« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 05:42:27 AM by Koroku »

Offline tacopill

• Lylat Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • csanimefan
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2010, 05:44:27 AM »
I'm working on slowly building up a wiki on Wikkii. Don't have much (okay, hardly anything) up yet, but I'm trying to create a useful way to lay out the info.  If anyone is interested in Rune Factory, then you can try it at www.harvestrune.com or http://harvestrune.wikkii.com/wiki/Main_Page

Wah! Don't wikifarm it! If you need a host, I'll do it~~~

I was thinking of talking to the Wikia site at some point anyways...

if you succeed in hosting them, will that be it, or will you take on more?

Offline Koroku

• Golden Sun Universe Staff
  • Wikimoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2010, 08:50:20 PM »
Probably gonna be it, unless someone approaches me.

If I'm gonna host, I want to have some sort of personal connection to the material; e.g. enjoy it. I adored the Golden Sun games and Harvest Moon is like my favorite game series of all time \o/

Offline tacopill

• Lylat Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • csanimefan
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2010, 12:56:22 AM »
Probably gonna be it, unless someone approaches me.

If I'm gonna host, I want to have some sort of personal connection to the material; e.g. enjoy it. I adored the Golden Sun games and Harvest Moon is like my favorite game series of all time \o/

ah, ok. That makes sense.

Offline Xizor

• Zelda Wiki Bureaucrat
  • Forum Administrator
  • Talk to me. :)
    • View Profile
    • Legend of Zelda.com
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2010, 12:31:12 PM »
I feel like we should not get arrogant and begin underestimating Wikia's own resilience based simply on what it is at its core: convenient. Convenience will keep it strong and healthy, because there will always be a younger, new batch of users to repopulate what it has lost. They'll have to make much more serious blunders beyond Oasis to really do themselves in. I mean, why do you think such things as InvisionFree and ProBoards are still around?

Bureaucrat of

Offline Tucayo

• Super Mario Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • MarioWiki's Shroom
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2010, 05:38:43 PM »
I used their new look for the first time now, and it isn't THAT bad, however, I still prefer MediaWiki

Offline tacopill

• Lylat Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • csanimefan
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2010, 05:59:08 PM »
I used their new look for the first time now, and it isn't THAT bad, however, I still prefer MediaWiki

Keep in mind, MediaWiki is the software that even wikia uses. The look, however, is their new skin, Oasis.

Offline Tucayo

• Super Mario Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • MarioWiki's Shroom
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2010, 06:04:59 PM »

Keep in mind, MediaWiki is the software that even wikia uses. The look, however, is their new skin, Oasis.
Ohh, well they have this ugly WYSIGWYG editor, the good thing is you can still use normal coding.

Offline Solar Dragon

• Solor Extraho
    • View Profile
    • Wikisimpsons
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2010, 06:36:50 PM »
Yeah, the WYSIWYG editor is pretty bad. It has caused so many errors in the past, problems with indenting, removing headers, adding code for a space instead of a normal space etc. It meant a lot of cleaning up for the more experienced users who didn't use the editor.

How long did you use the new look for? I used it for ages to try and get used to it but never could. Articles with iinfoboxes are cramped and look horrible etc.