Author Topic: Palutenapedia - Kid Icarus Wiki  (Read 17167 times)

Offline KidIcarus

• View Profile
Palutenapedia - Kid Icarus Wiki
« on: October 31, 2010, 06:52:41 PM »
Hello members of NIWA:

I would like to request affiliation with NIWA and any member sites of NIWA that wish to offer it. Palutenapedia is a wiki that I created eight days ago. With the assistance of Turtwig A - a member of several NIWA wikis - Palutenapedia's article count has ballooned to fifty-three. I should, however, note that it is technically not independent. It is hosted by Wikkii. Wikkii is very different from Wikia, though.

Unlike Wikia, Wikkii really lets the creator do whatever he or she wishes.It's also very decentralized. For example, each wiki it hosts requires separate membership. If I'm not mistaken, Wikia has you use one account for all of it's wikis. Basically, each wiki is independent of Wikkii and all of Wikkii's sub-sites. The only connection is that they host it. They don't really monitor content or pressure owners into decisions. If you look at their wikis, you will notice that they don't even brand their name anywhere except for on a small banner in the bottom left corner.

Here is an example of an established wiki on Wikkii: http://gintama.wikkii.net/wiki/Gintama_%E9%8A%80%E9%AD%82. You can barely tell it's part of a ''wiki farm''. Here's a look at another Wikkii wiki - http://firefly.wikkii.com/index.php?title=Main_Page. The contrast in design just shows how little power Wikkii exerts on its users. Here are some of Wikkii's features - http://wikkii.com/wiki/Features. As proof that Wikkii actually cares about the advancement of its wikis, they offer advanced hosting options to dedicated wikis - http://wikkii.com/wiki/Advanced_Hosting. They even offer free domain names to the top wikis - http://wikkii.com/wiki/Free_Domain.

With the help of NIWA, I believe Palutenapedia can become the premier web source Kid Icarus information. Please consider our request for affiliation. :)

Here is a link to Palutenpadia - http://kidicarus.wikkii.com/wiki/Main_Page.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 05:04:50 AM by KidIcarus »

Offline Level 3

• F-Zero Wiki Staff
  • Hey everyone, just here to help with the effort.
    • View Profile
Re: Palutenapedia's Request for Affiliation
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2010, 07:06:55 PM »
You should link to wiki -.-

I agree that Wikkii looks to be better, it's still not independent.

Admin at the F-Zero Wiki.

Offline KidIcarus

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2010, 07:12:52 PM »
You should link to wiki -.-

I agree that Wikkii looks to be better, it's still not independent.

Haha, my bad. ;D

Offline tacopill

• Lylat Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • csanimefan
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2010, 07:20:08 PM »
still, you are off to a very good start. Feel free to borrow template ideas from me....

Offline Xizor

• Zelda Wiki Bureaucrat
  • Forum Administrator
  • Talk to me. :)
    • View Profile
    • Legend of Zelda.com
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2010, 12:33:33 AM »
I don't see why we can't possibly be affiliates, but as someone already said, low-control Wiki Farm or not, it's not independent. They could at any point decide to start exerting control, and you couldn't stop them. It's a great starting place, though, and perhaps we can start recommending it as a midway point to independence, or as a way for people with limited funds to start up their wiki and build a following before spending lots of money.

Do you guys plan to ever get off of Wikii?

Bureaucrat of

Offline KidIcarus

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2010, 12:54:54 AM »
I don't see why we can't possibly be affiliates, but as someone already said, low-control Wiki Farm or not, it's not independent. They could at any point decide to start exerting control, and you couldn't stop them. It's a great starting place, though, and perhaps we can start recommending it as a midway point to independence, or as a way for people with limited funds to start up their wiki and build a following before spending lots of money.

Do you guys plan to ever get off of Wikii?

If Palutenapedia's activity ever booms - something that may happen after the release of Kid Icarus: Uprising - Palutenapedia will consider going fully independent. As the web site is only eight days old, there are currently no immediate plans to do so. There are few motives for Palutenapedia - at this stage in its lifetime - to leave Wikkii.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2010, 04:31:14 AM by vince220 »

Offline Axiomist

• Retired Staff
    • View Profile
    • WiKirby
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2010, 09:34:46 AM »
Linking to NIWA impresses me. I was thinking with all of the surging interest to design a NIWA Supporter bar for some of the wikis that support NIWA, are affiliated, hope to join as a member in the future, and/or is staffed by some NIWA crosswiki editors. This bar would be done in a way to not mislead people into thinking "This is a NIWA member".

Anyway, as we all know article count isn't the whole story. Policies and Main Pages make a huge impact. It says "We're in this for the long run." So I'd put a focus on those aspects. Images are usually welcome on wikis. Just a pointer, while browsing IcarusPedia's recent activity I saw people that work on NIWA wikis, so they might be open to working on something that may get an affiliation with their favorite wikis as well possibly preferring a wiki that plans to join those wikis side by side in NIWA.

Offline KidIcarus

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2010, 01:36:57 AM »
Linking to NIWA impresses me. I was thinking with all of the surging interest to design a NIWA Supporter bar for some of the wikis that support NIWA, are affiliated, hope to join as a member in the future, and/or is staffed by some NIWA crosswiki editors. This bar would be done in a way to not mislead people into thinking "This is a NIWA member".

Anyway, as we all know article count isn't the whole story. Policies and Main Pages make a huge impact. It says "We're in this for the long run." So I'd put a focus on those aspects. Images are usually welcome on wikis. Just a pointer, while browsing IcarusPedia's recent activity I saw people that work on NIWA wikis, so they might be open to working on something that may get an affiliation with their favorite wikis as well possibly preferring a wiki that plans to join those wikis side by side in NIWA.

Okay. I understand and agree with much of what you said. If you don't mind though, could you clarify what exactly the final sentence meant? I had a little bit of trouble deciphering its meaning; it may have just been the sentence structure.

Also, would it be alright if I kept this thread alive - possibly retitled - through occasional posts to keep the members of NIWA updated on what's going on at Palutenapedia?

Offline Axiomist

• Retired Staff
    • View Profile
    • WiKirby
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2010, 02:18:45 AM »
That last sentence meant that Axxon and BattleFranky202 might help you out with Palutenapedia instead of working on Icaruspedia. BattleFranky202 operates Starfy Wiki, which we've approached about migrating from Wikia to join NIWA.

Offline KidIcarus

• View Profile
Re: Palutenapedia - Kid Icarus Wiki
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2011, 03:13:17 AM »
Just an update on Palutenapedia (Kid Icarus Wiki). Wikkii has now accepted the wiki's request for advanced hosting. This will give the wiki full FTP and cPanel access. For those unfamiliar with what that means, here is our cPanel menu. You can see just how many options we have.

I'm saying this for two reasons. Primarily, as an update to keep the users of NIWA in the loop about the wiki. Secondarily, to show those who have started Wikkii wikis what kind of options are available with the advanced hosting and to see how developed a wiki must be to qualify. If anyone has any questions about Wikkii's advanced hosting service, I'm sure I can give some answers in the upcoming days.

On a side note, Palutenapedia will be accepting temporary admin positions to those who are interested. The positions will be renewed every other month based on activity, and with time, the positions will become permanent. The wiki's framework has already been built, and the wiki shows up as results nine and ten when searching "Kid Icarus Wiki" on Google. This is all very good, but a primary goal of the wiki is to jump ahead of its Wikia counterpart by the time Kid Icarus: Uprising is released.

Offline tacopill

• Lylat Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • csanimefan
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2011, 10:17:10 PM »
sweet. Very nice job so far.

Offline Caiterz

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2012, 04:24:49 AM »
Here's a look at another Wikkii wiki - http://firefly.wikkii.com/index.php?title=Main_Page. The contrast in design just shows how little power Wikkii exerts on its users. Here are some of Wikkii's features - http://wikkii.com/wiki/Features.

Hiya.

Sorry to bump ^^;;;

But - I'm the owner of that wiki. xD

If you're interested in any info about it or the wikkii service, just let me know.. They let me do anything I want to do, really.. and I've been with them for years and they've never forced any ads, or even got on my case when the ads were deleted for awhile. I love it :)

Offline tacopill

• Lylat Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • csanimefan
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2012, 03:50:41 PM »
Thank you for infroming us, and it is ok that you bumped and old topic.

Offline KidIcarus

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2015, 04:11:18 PM »
Link is not working

Offline Moydow

• NIWA Coordinator
  • Forum Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Fire Emblem Wiki
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2015, 07:07:35 PM »
Link is not working
It's your site, you know... Maybe you can fill us in on its current situation?
NIWA Coordinator

Offline KidIcarus

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2015, 11:31:26 PM »
Currently the site is not working. I will keep you updated when that changes.