Author Topic: Robopedia  (Read 29877 times)

Offline Koroku

• Golden Sun Universe Staff
  • Wikimoner
    • View Profile
Re: Robopedia
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2010, 09:43:41 PM »
I support you hosting one..... ;D
Well, if anyone wants to approach them, you can let them know that we have someone willing to host 'em.

Offline Manga Maniac

• I am a dragon. Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2010, 11:16:37 PM »
Instead of have two Wikis to cover these rather small series should will put them in one under Robowiki?
Ignoring the fact we're a Nintendo Alliance for a moment, it'd be a bit like combining Mario and Star Wars: The Force Unleashed because they both contain the ability to jump.

That is an exaggeration, yes, but it gets the point across.

Offline Naesala

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2010, 11:36:29 PM »
Instead of have two Wikis to cover these rather small series should will put them in one under Robowiki?
Ignoring the fact we're a Nintendo Alliance for a moment, it'd be a bit like combining Mario and Star Wars: The Force Unleashed because they both contain the ability to jump.

um no, no it does not, you clearly have no idea that I was  just trying to save the cost of a bunch of small wikis, I just don't want them to fizzle out
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 11:47:32 PM by Lord Ferrok »

Offline Manga Maniac

• I am a dragon. Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2010, 11:55:08 PM »
No, I mean that even if it saves costs, the subjects are too different to be properly combined into a wiki. You could make a wiki for smaller nintendo franchises, but you'd need probably more than two subjects to really set that up.

Keep in mind that it was "an exaggeration".

Offline Naesala

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2010, 11:57:36 PM »
No, I mean that even if it saves costs, the subjects are too different to be properly combined into a wiki. You could make a wiki for smaller nintendo franchises, but you'd need probably more than two subjects to really set that up.

there is one planed, don't know what became of it, or what series will be included in it

Offline Manga Maniac

• I am a dragon. Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2010, 11:59:40 PM »
If it was a wiki about all smaller franchises, "Robowiki" wouldn't be a good name for it, no?

Offline TurtwigA

• Wiki editor
  • Why must the space not come?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2010, 12:56:31 AM »

there is one planed, don't know what became of it, or what series will be included in it
One what?

There should not be a wiki covering both. Why? Because they are far too different. The only similarity in actuality is the use of robots. Chibi-Robo! is definitely a more family friendly series, and covers many elements others don't.

Please give me internets! So much less bulkier than those eggs.
tg.wikkii.com-My Touch! Generations Wiki
chibirobo.wikkii.com My Chibi-Robo! Wiki

Help spread the word about the word smorent! Definition: [smohrent] adj. fluffy. In a sentence: that bear is very smorent.

Offline Naesala

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2010, 12:59:18 AM »

One what?

There should not be a wiki covering both. Why? Because they are far too different. The only similarity in actuality is the use of robots. Chibi-Robo! is definitely a more family friendly series, and covers many elements others don't.

a wiki for small series

and about the robo thing, it was just an idea, you guys really need to calm down

Offline KidIcarus

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2010, 01:11:04 AM »

The point had already been made, and I already gave a more reasonable example. You don't need to attack other people's suggestions - and for someone who is not a big fan of either series, the suggestion was understandable. If you want, you can disagree with an opinion and give a reasonable explanation, but don't distort it so much as to destroy the original idea.

If it was a wiki about all smaller franchises, "Robowiki" wouldn't be a good name for it, no?

Don't put words in other people's mouths. Lord Ferrok never said that a wiki with all Nintendo content should be named Robopedia.

As the one who started this topic, I feel a certain responsibility to keep it focused. So from here on out, please limit all comments to Robopedia, its potential membership in NIWA, and any suggestions regarding the wiki. Please try to keep quarreling out of this discussion.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 01:13:36 AM by vince220 »

Offline TurtwigA

• Wiki editor
  • Why must the space not come?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2010, 02:07:05 AM »

One what?

a wiki for small series

and about the robo thing, it was just an idea, you guys really need to calm down
Sorry for overreacting. It's just that whole fandom thing... it can make you crazy.

But on topic, I don't think moving wikis off Wikia is the way we should getting many of our members.

Please give me internets! So much less bulkier than those eggs.
tg.wikkii.com-My Touch! Generations Wiki
chibirobo.wikkii.com My Chibi-Robo! Wiki

Help spread the word about the word smorent! Definition: [smohrent] adj. fluffy. In a sentence: that bear is very smorent.

Offline tacopill

• Lylat Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • csanimefan
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2010, 03:20:05 AM »

One what?

a wiki for small series

Sorry for overreacting. It's just that whole fandom thing... it can make you crazy.

But on topic, I don't think moving wikis off Wikia is the way we should getting many of our members.

i think we should, so long as we balance it with wiki start ups like Lylat Wiki, Metroid Wiki and WiKirby.

Offline SnorlaxMonster

• Bulbapedia Staff
  • Bulbapedia bureaucrat, Zelda Wiki administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2010, 10:21:00 AM »

i think we should, so long as we balance it with wiki start ups like Lylat Wiki, Metroid Wiki and WiKirby.
While making our own wikis can be good, it will end up becoming "a wiki for the sake of a wiki". We should really find fandoms for these series and encourage them to start a wiki. Taking Wikia wikis is good too, because those come with editors and some kind of structure. Lylat Wiki, Metroid Wiki and WiKirby all work because they have a decent fandom size, but starting up a wiki on say, Brain Training, won't go anywhere because its fandom is minuscule/non-existent, and nobody would really care about it.

But I'm guessing your reason for saying we shouldn't get wikis off Wikia is because they leave the old one behind. What we can hopefully do is let the old ones decay and fall into disrepair while directing all editors and readers to the new ones (but avoiding Wikia's opposition to this).

Offline Axiomist

• Retired Staff
    • View Profile
    • WiKirby
« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2010, 01:56:58 PM »
Snorlax managed to post my exact thoughts. We're getting to the bottom of a cone here. If there's going to be any all-new startups on independent hosting, the best approach would be to get commitment from any of the series' fan forums/sites.

Offline tacopill

• Lylat Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • csanimefan
« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2010, 06:06:07 PM »
But in order to do that, we need to either become reputable members of their respective communities, or have members of said communities be members here.

Offline SnorlaxMonster

• Bulbapedia Staff
  • Bulbapedia bureaucrat, Zelda Wiki administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2010, 02:02:39 PM »
Well, if the communities don't exist, then nobody would care if there was a wiki for it or not. We need to make sure we don't get so caught up in editing that we forget that nobody cares about what we're writing.

Communities for things we want wikis about should exist, and we should go to those sites and suggest a wiki, for which NIWA would offer support.

Otherwise, taking them from Wiki Farms is a better idea, so if there are wikis on subjects we are looking for on Wikia, we can help free those wikis.

But the best alternative is to do neither. Instead of choosing a subject and getting a wiki on it, we should find Independent Nintendo wikis floating around and support them.
While NIWA is big, it is quite possible that they've never heard of us. Maybe the users have been to Bulbapedia and never quite scrolled down to the bottom. Maybe they regularly use StrategyWiki but have never actually bothered to go to the main page for years. Maybe the wikis are just sitting out on the Internet with no contributions at all, but still have a reasonable amount of content. Maybe they don't understand the benefits of joining NIWA.

In my opinion, the best wikis to get now would be fanon ones (despite my dislike towards them). I know that Fantendo turned us down, but we should be able to find other fanon wikis out there to match our "canon" wikis.

Offline BrandedOne

• Fire Emblem Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2010, 04:43:38 PM »
Well, if the communities don't exist, then nobody would care if there was a wiki for it or not. We need to make sure we don't get so caught up in editing that we forget that nobody cares about what we're writing.

I would be careful about saying "nobody" cares.  Typically, the writer of the content cares.  That's somebody.  And there are bound to be others, however few in number they may be. 

I was envisioning NIWA as the ultimate resource for all things Nintendo, personally.  In which case, I'd gladly like to have wikis on smaller franchises, wherever they come from.  Then again, that's not exactly the goal of NIWA, at least for now, am I correct?

Offline KidIcarus

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2010, 10:48:01 PM »

While I understand what you mean, I have to disagree because spontaneity has become such a major element of the internet. Sometimes I just search random things online or surf through Wikipedia for hours (it may not be normal, but I know I'm not the only one). I think minor wikis will still get considerable traffic from this group of internet users if the users are aware of the wiki's existence.

Offline Axiomist

• Retired Staff
    • View Profile
    • WiKirby
« Reply #37 on: November 23, 2010, 11:07:50 PM »
Well if a wiki for one of those smaller series were made, we wouldn't reject it, but in the same breath we're saying you might want to reconsider going to make it just for NIWA's sake. What will happen when BrainTrainingWiki interest dies out, the owner tires of losing money on it, and no one else wants to pay to save it?

Offline BrandedOne

• Fire Emblem Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 24, 2010, 01:07:31 AM »
Right.  Money.  That part didn't occur to me.  In that case, it seems logical to host only wikis that get enough traffic for them to be "profitable", so to speak.  But it also seems logical that the bigger NIWA gets, the more traffic it will attract, and more likely it will be that a wiki will be worth the money.  We just have to keep everything in balance, and make sure we deal with things appropriately as they come.

Offline Seritinajii

• Paradichlorobenzene
  • Fire Emblem Wiki Staff
  • Grammar is important!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 24, 2010, 01:35:40 AM »
How much, exactly, does a domain cost?