Author Topic: Broken New SSBB copy  (Read 17351 times)

Offline Metechar

• My fanmade Pokémon mascot.
  • Wow! What are all those heads?
    • View Profile
    • PokéFanon!
Broken New SSBB copy
« on: November 28, 2010, 04:12:14 PM »
I bought a new copy of SSBB at Target since my old copy, which I got on it's release date, March 9, 2008, didn't work anymore. When I inserted it into my Wii, it didn't even spin. Yes, it wasn't read. Does anybody know what the problem is? I'm thinking it's my Wii, and that I can use my lens cleaner that a friend is borrowing. Once I'm getting it back, I am gonna do a test, but does anybody else think otherwise?

Forgot my password, and I may not ever recover it. But you never know! JUST CLICK!

Offline R7308xx

• The poison in your drink... whoops.
  • New and, unfortunately, improved.
    • View Profile
Re: Broken New SSBB copy
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2010, 04:36:47 PM »
Check for any damage on the disc. If there is, send it back.

If that doesn't solve it, see if any other games work. If not, there's something wrong with the internal system.

Hope this helped. ;D
I blame the economy.

Offline Moydow

• NIWA Coordinator
  • Forum Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Fire Emblem Wiki
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2010, 04:52:41 PM »
Something similar happened to me a few months ago. Any disc I tried to play always gave an error message: "An error has occurred. Please check the Wii Manual for details..." I had to send it to the Nintendo Fast Track Centre in England to get it fixed. It turned out to be a "minor" disc reading error. The Fast Track Centre probably doesn't apply to you, but it may be a similar problem, needing the Nintendo America repair service. Though at least try your other discs first. If they are refused, it probably is this type of internal error. Normal CD drive lens cleaners are unlikely to work.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 04:55:11 PM by Moydow »
NIWA Coordinator

Offline Metechar

• View Profile
    • PokéFanon!
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2010, 05:08:18 PM »
Thanks guys, but all my other games work. I put in Mario Kart Wii and it spun. SSBB didn't even spin! So all my other discs work. Just not SSBB. And it's a new copy so maybe it's not the game. But it COULD be the game. It had NO scartches when I bought it. And it was new, so of course there were no scratches. Well I could test if another new copy would work.

Forgot my password, and I may not ever recover it. But you never know! JUST CLICK!

Offline KidIcarus

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2010, 05:22:50 PM »
I believe this is the problem you are encountering. I remember when SSBB first came out, some Wiis had trouble reading the disc because, unlike other games, SSBB uses dual-layer technology. You may have to send it into Nintendo, but there is also a chance that the Wii lens cleaner will solve the problem. In fact, I think Nintendo started making the lens cleaner specifically to address this issue.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 06:15:16 PM by vince220 »

Offline R7308xx

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2010, 05:27:42 PM »
You should visit support.nintendo.com or call their number.
I blame the economy.

Offline Metechar

• View Profile
    • PokéFanon!
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2010, 06:13:33 PM »
I believe this is the problem you are encountering. I remember when SSBB first came out, some Wiis had trouble reading the disc because, unlike other games, SSBB uses dual-layer technology. You may have to send it into Nintendo, but there is also a chance that the Wii lens cleaner will solve the problem. In fact, I think Nintendo started to make the lens cleaner to specifically address this issue.

I have the lens cleaning kit, but a friend is borrowing it, as stated in the topic post. Once I get the cleaning kit back(today or tomorrow), then I'll try it. Thanks, anyway! And before you ask, yes the kit is made by Nintendo ESPECIALLY for the Wii.

Offline tacopill

• Lylat Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • csanimefan
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2010, 03:17:19 AM »
If all the other games work, then it is probalby the disk itself. Are there any scratches, is their any dust, on the disk?

Offline Metechar

• View Profile
    • PokéFanon!
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2010, 04:47:49 AM »
No. It's new and I've kept it in the box so no dust collects on it. It's a double layered disc, so it could be my Wii, as it is the only Double Bladed disc I own.

Offline tacopill

• Lylat Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • csanimefan
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2010, 05:03:45 AM »
ok, that makes sense.

Offline Solar Dragon

• Solor Extraho
    • View Profile
    • Wikisimpsons
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2010, 06:23:55 AM »
I believe this is the problem you are encountering. I remember when SSBB first came out, some Wiis had trouble reading the disc because, unlike other games, SSBB uses dual-layer technology. You may have to send it into Nintendo, but there is also a chance that the Wii lens cleaner will solve the problem. In fact, I think Nintendo started making the lens cleaner specifically to address this issue.

Did you miss that post or something? The link explains everything.

Offline tacopill

• Lylat Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • csanimefan
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2010, 08:13:58 AM »

the forums are huanted and make posts go invisible .

Offline Metechar

• View Profile
    • PokéFanon!
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2010, 02:37:20 PM »

I said at I HAVE that lens cleaner, but a friend is borrowing it. I'll get it back today and test to see if it works.

Offline Metechar

• View Profile
    • PokéFanon!
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2010, 01:29:29 AM »
Apparently, the OFFICIAL Lens Cleaner didn't solve the problem. I am thinking about sending my Wii to Nintendo. Don't they do it for free? I forgot. But anyone agree that I should send it?

Offline R7308xx

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2010, 01:33:38 AM »
Apparently, the OFFICIAL Lens Cleaner didn't solve the problem. I am thinking about sending my Wii to Nintendo. Don't they do it for free? I forgot. But anyone agree that I should send it?

The problem is most likely that your Wii can't process the memory because of the size of the disk. The same thing happened to me. I HIGHLY recommend sending the Wii to Nintendo.
I blame the economy.

Offline Miles of SmashWiki

• Sinister Trivia Villain
  • SmashWiki Staff
  • "Trying to seem mysterious is my hobby."
    • View Profile
    • AllisBrawl profile
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2010, 02:58:20 AM »
I believe it's free, though I'm not sure.

Srsbsns is always lurking (?_?)

Offline KidIcarus

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2010, 03:04:12 AM »
It may also depend on how long you've had the Wii.

Edit: Miles of Smash Wiki is correct. The repairs are free.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 03:17:21 AM by vince220 »

Offline Metechar

• View Profile
    • PokéFanon!
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2010, 03:46:37 AM »
Well I have had my Wii since July of 2007. That's probably why. Only 2008 models and above have almost no trouble reading double layered discs. Or at least SSBB.

Offline Tina

• WikiBound Staff
    • View Profile
    • WikiBound
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2010, 03:52:57 AM »
I've had my Wii since December 2006, and it hasn't had any problems with SSBB. I know it's a known problem, I'm not denying that it exists or anything -- but it's not like only 2008+ models work with double-layered discs, either. :P
WikiBound Editor-in-Chief

Offline Metechar

• View Profile
    • PokéFanon!
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2010, 02:01:48 PM »
I've had my Wii since December 2006, and it hasn't had any problems with SSBB.

HAX! JK you're just lucky. Maybe it IS the disc. This weekend, however, I could probably change it for another disc. Who knows. I used the official lens cleaner didn't work, but the last thing I'd do is send my Wii and SSBB to Nintendo because that requires not having acess to a Wii for a few days. Oh well.