Author Topic: WikiBound has moved!  (Read 26251 times)

Offline Tina

• WikiBound Staff
    • View Profile
    • WikiBound
WikiBound has moved!
« on: December 07, 2010, 02:03:19 AM »
Hey guys! I'm pretty sure this is the right place to put the topic, so...

WikiBound's URL has changed, as we've switched hosts. If everyone could update their links (and bookmarks, which should exist! *shot*) to the new URL - right here! - that would be fantastic! :D

And don't worry, everything's just the way it was before. We just moved to a different host and got a nice and short address. :P
« Last Edit: December 07, 2010, 02:05:48 AM by Tina »
WikiBound Editor-in-Chief

Offline Jake

• Nookipedia Staff
  • Nookipedia Director / Server Admin
    • View Profile
    • Nookipedia
Re: WikiBound has moved!
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2010, 02:13:20 AM »
Congrats guys! :D I also notice that you've now got SEO friendly URLs. I've updated the interwiki table on ACWiki. :)

Also, be sure to 301 redirect your old site. It helps get your Google ranking transferred and prevent broken links.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2010, 02:43:46 AM by Jake »

Offline tacopill

• Lylat Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • csanimefan
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2010, 03:08:01 AM »
Congrats guys! :D I also notice that you've now got SEO friendly URLs. I've updated the interwiki table on ACWiki. :)

Also, be sure to 301 redirect your old site. It helps get your Google ranking transferred and prevent broken links.

Thank you for updating your interwiki table, and noticing our pretty URL.

I can set up the redirect, but i don't know who to do one between two URL schemes.

Offline Maxite

• Icaruspedia Staff
  • Otaku Nut
    • View Profile
    • OtakuDeus
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2010, 03:14:09 AM »
Nice move. The domain looks a little odd though, with wikibound.zelda-temple.net. I'll offer to buy you guys an actual domain if you want (wikibound.com is still open as of this post).

Offline tacopill

• Lylat Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • csanimefan
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2010, 03:50:44 AM »
Nice move. The domain looks a little odd though, with wikibound.zelda-temple.net. I'll offer to buy you guys an actual domain if you want (wikibound.com is still open as of this post).

That would be cool, and thank you.

Although, if the option is open, i would prefer wikibound.info. If not, a .com is fine with me.

Offline Seritinajii

• Paradichlorobenzene
  • Fire Emblem Wiki Staff
  • Grammar is important!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2010, 04:12:19 AM »
Isn't .com specifically for commercial purposes or something like that?

Offline Tina

• WikiBound Staff
    • View Profile
    • WikiBound
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2010, 04:13:39 AM »

That would be cool, and thank you.

Although, if the option is open, i would prefer wikibound.info. If not, a .com is fine with me.

I'd prefer wikibound.info as well-- I'm also cool with wikibound.net. I dunno I just like the sound of those two more.
WikiBound Editor-in-Chief

Offline tacopill

• Lylat Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • csanimefan
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2010, 04:23:51 AM »
Isn't .com specifically for commercial purposes or something like that?

Technically, yes. A .com site is suppose to be for commercial websites. However, until about recently, .com was pretty much the every website you went to, commercial or not.

the other suffixes (.org for non-governmental organizations, .gov for government sites, .k12.* for public schools, etc.) are becoming more popular, and more and more websites are using a "proper" suffix.

Offline Maxite

• Icaruspedia Staff
  • Otaku Nut
    • View Profile
    • OtakuDeus
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2010, 04:53:17 AM »
Doesn't matter about the wikibound.com. In the space of time between making my first post and this one, someone registered it and parked a page on it.

Good news is: I have wikibound.info for you guys. For the meantime, I'll just have it forward to the current site (and let the DNS information update itself).

Offline tacopill

• Lylat Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • csanimefan
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2010, 05:00:49 AM »
Doesn't matter about the wikibound.com. In the space of time between making my first post and this one, someone registered it and parked a page on it.

Good news is: I have wikibound.info for you guys. For the meantime, I'll just have it forward to the current site (and let the DNS information update itself).

Excellent. It will probably take a day or two to take effect. But when it is done, i will notify the staff to update the interwiki tables on all the other wikis.

Also: stupid domain campers....

Also Also: this  :eekdance:. WikiBound leveled up!

Offline Maxite

• Icaruspedia Staff
  • Otaku Nut
    • View Profile
    • OtakuDeus
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2010, 05:10:06 AM »
I wouldn't start updating the tables until the URL isn't just redirecting (unless you don't mind that sort of cheesiness).

Offline tacopill

• Lylat Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • csanimefan
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2010, 05:30:13 AM »
I wouldn't start updating the tables until the URL isn't just redirecting (unless you don't mind that sort of cheesiness).

what alternative will there be then? if it is not a redirect, then is a direct host? (i.e. the domain points directly to the host, not bouncing around redirects).

Offline Maxite

• Icaruspedia Staff
  • Otaku Nut
    • View Profile
    • OtakuDeus
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2010, 05:45:17 AM »
It's a redirect right now. It might be better if its a direct host, but that requires a bit more work.

Offline Jake

• Nookipedia Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nookipedia
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2010, 08:37:35 PM »
I'm not sure what's going on as far as your URL, but this is how to do a 301 redirect. It's actually really simple!

Create a file named '.htaccess' in the root of the old wiki location. Put this text within:
Code: [Select]
Options +FollowSymLinks
RewriteEngine on
RewriteRule (.*) http://wikibound.info/$1 [R=301,L]

Just change the http:// part to the URL path of your new site. $1 will be replaced by the page title, just as it is with interwiki linking. If you need any help with this, I'd be more than glad to assist. :)

Offline tacopill

• Lylat Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • csanimefan
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2010, 12:19:13 AM »
Ok, i posted that, and i think someone or something over-wrote it on me.

It is now this:
Code: [Select]
# For security reasons, Option followsymlinks cannot be overridden.
#Options +FollowSymLinks
Options +SymLinksIfOwnerMatch
RewriteEngine on
RewriteRule (.*) http://wikibound.info/$1 [R=301,L]

will that work?

I also had a 301 redirect setup in the server config; but i have removed it because it would send it to the main page, regardless of the subpage i was looking for.

And it seems to have stopped while i have been typing this up.

Anyway, now it is going to the correct domain, and has the subpage in the URL; But the page shown is not the one requested in the URL.

Offline Maxite

• Icaruspedia Staff
  • Otaku Nut
    • View Profile
    • OtakuDeus
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2010, 01:00:46 AM »
I've fixed the forwarding so that it'll allow you to pass on subdirectories.

Furthermore, would a 301 Redirect work if the domain is forwarding to the old address?
« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 01:03:52 AM by Maxite »

Offline Jake

• Nookipedia Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nookipedia
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2010, 01:07:53 AM »
The 301 redirect only needs to be set up on the old domain. In order to get the new domain working correctly, you may need to contact the host on zelda-temple and ask them to set up your hosting as an addon-domain instead of a sub-domain. Then, all you need to do is point wikibound.info at the zelda-temple nameservers and it should work just fine. :)
« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 01:09:25 AM by Jake »

Offline tacopill

• Lylat Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • csanimefan
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2010, 01:27:01 AM »
The 301 redirect only needs to be set up on the old domain. In order to get the new domain working correctly, you may need to contact the host on zelda-temple and ask them to set up your hosting as an addon-domain instead of a sub-domain. Then, all you need to do is point wikibound.info at the zelda-temple nameservers and it should work just fine. :)

ok, i will ask my web host when i see her next.

and thank you.

Offline Axiomist

• Retired Staff
    • View Profile
    • WiKirby
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2010, 10:47:56 AM »
That's one reason I never publicly post potential domain purchases. I've seen this happen so many times that I swear some people must have some kind of bots sniffing out unregistered domain names and buying them to park ads on.

Anyway, that's an awesome thing for you to have done. You have my gratitude as well.

I wish ICANN would create a .wiki but until they do, .info is the best to get for a starting wiki imo. Despite being a new site, WiKirby.info shows up high in the google search term "Kirby Info" which is a perfectly probable search. New sites need all of the boost they can get.

Ps. Tacopill, or Tina, I'm still working a lot, so could one of you edit WK's News to the final url when its done. Announce the move, as I want WK to cover some notable NIWA member changes.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 10:53:16 AM by Axiomist »

Offline tacopill

• Lylat Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • csanimefan
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2010, 06:07:43 PM »
That's one reason I never publicly post potential domain purchases. I've seen this happen so many times that I swear some people must have some kind of bots sniffing out unregistered domain names and buying them to park ads on.

Anyway, that's an awesome thing for you to have done. You have my gratitude as well.

I wish ICANN would create a .wiki but until they do, .info is the best to get for a starting wiki imo. Despite being a new site, WiKirby.info shows up high in the google search term "Kirby Info" which is a perfectly probable search. New sites need all of the boost they can get.

Ps. Tacopill, or Tina, I'm still working a lot, so could one of you edit WK's News to the final url when its done. Announce the move, as I want WK to cover some notable NIWA member changes.

I can take care of it, Ax.